U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 03:51 PM

113 posts, read 581,660 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to the Tampa area.

Questions are more geared toward costs of living, etc.

If you dont mind, please give us some ideas on these costs. Will be living in a nice suburban area....

What are you paying for car insurance. $ 10k value avg car, no driving issues

Registration fees for cars.

Health Insurance rates & copays. Decent coverage?

Electricity on a 1500 sq ft home, thinking ac usage issues.

Grocery Bill for a family of 4.

We have ball park ideas on things like rent, gas, etc. Any other expenses that come to mind are appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 05:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,754,454 times
throw in water bill, home insurance and real estate taxes as well

Old 08-01-2010, 05:59 PM

2,726 posts, read 4,595,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHtoFL View Post
Looking to move to the Tampa area.

Questions are more geared toward costs of living, etc.

If you dont mind, please give us some ideas on these costs. Will be living in a nice suburban area....

What are you paying for car insurance. $ 10k value avg car, no driving issues

Registration fees for cars.

Health Insurance rates & copays. Decent coverage?

Electricity on a 1500 sq ft home, thinking ac usage issues.

Grocery Bill for a family of 4.

We have ball park ideas on things like rent, gas, etc. Any other expenses that come to mind are appreciated.

Thanks!
You asked a lot of specific questions that may not have general answers but I will throw in mine. But remember most of the things you are asking will be different from people to people.

First, COL is a comparison to a given place and you didnt tell us if you want to say "is the place I moving is expensive or not?"

Car insurance depends on what level of coverage (whether you are looking for a minimal liability coverage or a full coverage) you need. Not only that they are based on specific factors like your driving history (that you told us that's OK) and credit history. Most people find that it is more expensive here in Florida than other places. But if you insist having a number, for example, I pay about 800/six month for two cars with full coverage for one (this also depends on the level of coverage as well as deductable) and a just liability for another.

Registration for a car, you can get the info for the specific car you have by asking the county that you are moving in. In general those are cheaper compared to other states on average. For example for Hillsborough check here Tax Collector

Health insurance are tricky because even with employer co-pay it depends on if you have a family or just a single coverage or one spouse and just children making the 4 you referenced. Or just a private coverage that's is expensive that is dependent on how good in shape you are ( I am not kidding a friend of mine told me that his premium will go down if he has a specific colesterol level or some other sh**). So, you are not gonna get a specific number on that.

Electricity on 1500ft sq. will again depend if you are one of those people who would like the AC at 65 or the other who wants at 82. Plus what kind of stuff you have and the age of the house or if you have a swimming pool or not. Lots of it! So if I have to pull number out of a thin air I would say 150/month for that size. But again the best thing you can do is call the company (there are two of them here and have different rate) for the place you plan to rent/buy. At least that is the best approximations.

Grocery is the most difficult to answer because that depends on what you want to eat or not. Apparently one of our friends can make with half the price that we spend and I don't know how they do it. Or another who would spend twice as ours. I guess you see what I am getting into. People who eat meat of fish is different. OR if you want organic or other speciality. Search this site to get an idea what people are buying and from where.

Good luck

Old 08-01-2010, 06:23 PM

113 posts, read 581,660 times
Thanks Denudin;

Ironically that is one of the towns we are looking into
I know it is really variable here with many factors in play. Just trying to get an idea of whats up.

Jason

Old 08-03-2010, 03:35 PM

15 posts, read 35,669 times
We live in a 1350 sq ft house and set it at 75 our last bill was 185 that is with new windows and ac unit. My highest bill has been 220, water for our family of four runs about 88 dollars every two months. Food is about 200 every two weeks. Our house ins. is 1400 witch is good most people are paying 2000-4000 for house ins. Car ins. varies but ours is 160 every month for a suv and a car. Hope this helps!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay