U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 AM

451 posts, read 843,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Murder involves killing but killing is not necessarily murder. Murder connotes premeditation. It is what you set out, specifically, to do. By that then, putting a killer to death is murder. As a member of the electorate, I do not appreciate the state murdering in my name. As a member of society, I am appalled by the bloodlust exhibited here.

Retribution is not peace. Bringing more pain to the family of the drunk driver will not ease the pain of the family of those he killed. It only brings more pain.
I'm 100% with HousingCrashSurvivor. While the consequences for drunk driving need to be much, much steeper, the Death Penalty should be absolutely out of the question. The drunk driver in this case should spend the rest of his life behind bars, but calling for his life is brutal, inhuman and ultimately an ineffectual deterrent.

The threat of the death penalty is a foolish deterrent to prevent repeat drunk driving. A repeat drunk driver should be behind bars to begin with, they shouldn't have the chance to commit a 3rd or 4th offense. Early prevention, steeper consequences for the first offense and MUCH steeper consequences for recidivism should be on the menu.

We need to treat the first offense like the second offense. The first offense should be standardized-- involving second offense fines, mandatory jail, long-term license suspension and probation, counseling for alcohol abuse, mandatory attendance to MADD meetings and safe-start car breathalyzer technology added during impoundment, as paid for by the offender. The second offense should be treated as a felony and the sentence should be weighed by a judge in felony terms, regardless of property damage or injury.

But the death penalty? Come on, now-- it's as much the state's fault that repeat offenders are out there offending.

It is estimated that Florida spends roughly $24 million per each execution it commits. That $24 million could go a long way toward education programs, expanded law enforcement and the aid of DUI victims...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 06:50 PM

26,766 posts, read 41,281,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
I'm 100% with HousingCrashSurvivor. While the consequences for drunk driving need to be much, much steeper, the Death Penalty should be absolutely out of the question. The drunk driver in this case should spend the rest of his life behind bars, but calling for his life is brutal, inhuman and ultimately an ineffectual deterrent.

The threat of the death penalty is a foolish deterrent to prevent repeat drunk driving. A repeat drunk driver should be behind bars to begin with, they shouldn't have the chance to commit a 3rd or 4th offense. Early prevention, steeper consequences for the first offense and MUCH steeper consequences for recidivism should be on the menu.

We need to treat the first offense like the second offense. The first offense should be standardized-- involving second offense fines, mandatory jail, long-term license suspension and probation, counseling for alcohol abuse, mandatory attendance to MADD meetings and safe-start car breathalyzer technology added during impoundment, as paid for by the offender. The second offense should be treated as a felony and the sentence should be weighed by a judge in felony terms, regardless of property damage or injury.

But the death penalty? Come on, now-- it's as much the state's fault that repeat offenders are out there offending.

It is estimated that Florida spends roughly $24 million per each execution it commits. That $24 million could go a long way toward education programs, expanded law enforcement and the aid of DUI victims...
Deat penalty is just fine for me in these cases. There is plenty of proof, the person is caught at the scene...what more proof do you want and less costs than staying in prison for life...unless the person dies within the next few yrs...which is probable not happening.

In this case 4 people died due to the guy who just didn't care about anything else than him and his drinks...he also is responsible for the other guy who is now at the hospital in critical condition.

In these cases you don't have to deal years later with evidence coming up that he didn't do the crime. No sorry from me for this low life!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,991,586 times
We need to focus on the problem. Alcohol.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 PM

427 posts, read 1,004,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
We need to focus on the problem. Alcohol.
That and some alternatives to 12 step recovery.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:30 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,990,638 times
1) The state Legislature writes the laws 2) The special interests and lobbyists own the Legislature 3) The hospitality industry and the Chamber of Commerce has decided that sensible DUI enforcement would hurt their business 3) Florida has weak DUI enforcement. Follow the money.
Until the citizens get an Amendment initiative making EVERY DUI a felony (not just the third one), the carnage will continue. Pinellas County and most of the cities in it have agreed to allow bars to stay open until 3 AM. The saloons said this was necessary to "compete" with their counterparts in Hillsbough . Insane.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 AM

480 posts, read 944,158 times
"....an eye for an eye"

Mr. J. needs to be extremely thankful that isn't practiced here.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 AM

451 posts, read 843,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Deat penalty is just fine for me in these cases. There is plenty of proof, the person is caught at the scene...what more proof do you want and less costs than staying in prison for life...unless the person dies within the next few yrs...which is probable not happening.

In this case 4 people died due to the guy who just didn't care about anything else than him and his drinks...he also is responsible for the other guy who is now at the hospital in critical condition.

In these cases you don't have to deal years later with evidence coming up that he didn't do the crime. No sorry from me for this low life!
It's actually a lot more expensive to put a prisoner to death than it is to keep them in prison for life. As noted in my comment, the state has spent $24 million per execution on average across the 44 executions it has committed.

Sure, we can agree to disagree here, but the death penalty a) is not an effective deterrent, b) is ridiculously expensive and c) is brutal and a bit draconian.

When I was 12, my brother and his best friend were both killed by a drunk driver with a .35 blood alcohol level. The drunk was driving down the WRONG side of a divided highway outside of Detroit, killing my brother instantly. This was not the drunk's first offense. You want to know what really hurts? That man did four-and-a-half years in prison.

Wishing death upon the man who killed my brother would solve nothing. Wishing for real change upon a broken legal system that could actually prevent this from happening in these numbers... that's where my head is at, at least.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:31 AM

480 posts, read 944,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Drunk driver kills Orlando father, three sons, police say

"Jordan's father Homer broke down moments after learning his son, who is not old enough to buy alcohol, is accused of the horrific crime."

My sympathies to the family & friends of both the victims and perpetrator.

Murder involves killing but killing is not necessarily murder. Murder connotes premeditation. It is what you set out, specifically, to do. By that then, putting a killer to death is murder. As a member of the electorate, I do not appreciate the state murdering in my name. As a member of society, I am appalled by the bloodlust exhibited here.

Retribution is not peace. Bringing more pain to the family of the drunk driver will not ease the pain of the family of those he killed. It only brings more pain.
So by definition, becoming intoxicated (actively and knowingly participating in an act that will decrease your good sense), leaving whatever establishment while intoxicated to return to a vehicle, unlocking and opening the door, sticking the keys into the ignition, and driving is more than twice the posted speed limit only to commit another infraction by not yielding to the traffic light system in place and the end result was a killing with no premeditation and this does not constitute murder? WOW!

The premeditation in this case simple to spot, but extremely hard to prove.

A plan to drink, time to become intoxicated and to think (no matter how muddled it may be) is still a thought process.

Everyone in the world that has ever had a drink and then had to drive somewhere has had this internal struggle; Should I drive, Should I stay, Should I call someone, etc. This clearly establishes an awarness of the potential dangers and law breaking actions. This man chose to do otherwise and MURDERED 4 random victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or