Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 PM

239 posts, read 671,291 times

Advertisements

Are there any areas of the greater Tampa Bay region (i.e. Hillsbourough, Pinellas, Pascoe, Manatee, Sarasota) that you would consider more "progressive" than others (i.e. green minded, organic markets, alternative medicine, alternative education, artsy, not too conservative)

If you had to choose a particular community in Tampa and in Pinellas, which would you say is MOST progressive in each.

What about Palm Harbor? I know they have a Waldorf School there which is a good sign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 01:35 PM

96 posts, read 736,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOnewplace View Post
Are there any areas of the greater Tampa Bay region (i.e. Hillsbourough, Pinellas, Pascoe, Manatee, Sarasota) that you would consider more "progressive" than others (i.e. green minded, organic markets, alternative medicine, alternative education, artsy, not too conservative)

If you had to choose a particular community in Tampa and in Pinellas, which would you say is MOST progressive in each.

What about Palm Harbor? I know they have a Waldorf School there which is a good sign?
I have asked similar questions in two seperate threads here, though I was referring more specifically to the St. Petersburg and Panhandle regions:

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...l-diverse.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ogressive.html

These may or may not help you out, but I thought that I would post them to let you decide.

Best of luck with your search (and I will watch your thread to see if any replies come along, as I'm still interested in hearing answers to the same questions).

Old 07-22-2010, 01:41 PM

Default thanks

Thank you Sailor! I will check them out.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:48 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:

Sarasota has ALL that - tons of organic markets and farms, Whole Foods, considered one of the most "green-minded" cities in Florida, lots of artists, lots of alternative medicine, etc. way too much to list here. Behind Sarasota I would say St. Pete, and Tampa last. Palm Harbor is nice, but doesn't strike me as particularly artsy or progressive. Anything in particular you are looking for?

ETA: Just checked and there is a Waldorf School in Sarasota as well. http://www.sarasotawaldorf.org/

There is also Out-of-Door Academy - http://www.oda.edu/page.cfm?p=1552

Last edited by gypsychic; 07-22-2010 at 02:00 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Anything in particular you are looking for?
My office will be in DT Tampa but I will have a flexible schedule so no need to commute everyday. However, a commute does need to be possible. We are looking at Palm Harbor only because there is a Waldorf School there (very alternative progressive minded school). I would prefer NOT to pay private tuition but I just dont agree with the direction of public school programming (i.e. FCAT)

My priority is to have my 6 year old grow up (for the time being) surrounded by people who care about the world we live in and where we could have a like minded social network. We are in Miami now and I am so tired of materialism and fighting the system. We are a middleaged couple with a child and we are looking for a family friendly negihborhood, good quality of life, people who enjoy being outdoors, nice parks, bike paths, organic markets and restaruants, little coffee shops.

If it helps, we are from Northern Virgina (DC area) and really liked it there. But...we are here for the moment and hoping to find a place where we "fit in" and our son will have friends who don't think that life is about DS games, bounce houses and Hummers (no offense to any owners of these items LOL).

Hope that helps

Old 07-22-2010, 02:27 PM

Well, as I said, I still highly recommend Sarasota for what you are looking for. My husband commutes from north Sarasota to downtown Tampa EVERY DAY. It's about one hour. He doesn't mind much at all, because he feels it is worth it to live here. You just need to come down and check it out, you will love the downtown (among other things).

Old 07-22-2010, 02:28 PM

Default Awesome!

Gypsy...thanks for the info on the Sarasota Waldorf School!

Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, as I said, I still highly recommend Sarasota for what you are looking for. My husband commutes from north Sarasota to downtown Tampa EVERY DAY. It's about one hour. He doesn't mind much at all, because he feels it is worth it to live here. You just need to come down and check it out, you will love the downtown (among other things).

Thank you again. I am very excited to check it out. My parents are in Clearwater and I am hoping to spend some time up there looking in August. I have heard that Sarasota is one of the most progressive places in Florida so I am very happy to hear these commenst from someone who lives there.

Thank you so much for your time

Old 07-22-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you again. I am very excited to check it out. My parents are in Clearwater and I am hoping to spend some time up there looking in August. I have heard that Sarasota is one of the most progressive places in Florida so I am very happy to hear these commenst from someone who lives there.

Thank you so much for your time
You're very welcome! I am a native-born Floridian (Tampa) and I think Sarasota is one of the nicest places in Florida overall to live. It is constantly improving upon itself. I am sure you will enjoy your visit this summer checking out the Gulf Coast. Just hope we are having nice weather when you come (August is our storm season! ) Any other questions, feel free to ask.

By the way, I forgot to mention that the Sarasota area has some of the prettiest beaches you will ever see - and yes, they are oil-free!

Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 PM

Hi Gypsy,

Thanks again for your reply. Sorry for the repeat but I am following three threads and posted one similar to below to your reply in another. Each thread has a slightly different slant so it is interesting.

I researched Laurel Park and the prices ranged from 150K to 600K but they all seemed to be located within a few blocks. What is the average price for a nice (but not luxury) 3bdr with a yard. Are there lots of families or mostly singles or empty nesters?

Other than Laurel, are there any other "hoods" in Sarasota we should look at with great family appeal. If it is NOT walkable, are there any areas with big properties, mature trees, woods, etc.

I guess I like the settings on the extremes LOL. Either coffee shop walkable or a big country house in the boonies where we could camp out in our backyard. We'd prefer to stay away from new developments but understand that there are advantages with that as well.

I have such fond memories of growing up in my hometown (in both settings...small town and then an old Victorian style farmhouse) and I want the same for my son. I want a place where we can play, run around in the rain, jump in puddles, have block (or porch) parties and neighborhood theater...awww...but I digress into a time passed.

looking for something close...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay