U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 10:19 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,789,333 times

Advertisements

This question is not often asked, so I figure I would be one of the first to throw this out.
What do residents of either of these cities think about the social climate?
Do some think cold, friendly, polite, surface nice?
I was reading an article here on a city that has an image for being polite, but it going no further than that when it comes to meeting new friends:

The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease

After reading this, state your opinion on where you might think Tampa Bay area lies with this.
I would like to say, perhaps some elements exist, but would like actual long time residents opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 01:30 PM

15,757 posts, read 32,822,908 times
Wow - that article makes it sound like Seattle has a major stick up its butt. Must be all that dreary weather.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Wow - that article makes it sound like Seattle has a major stick up its butt. Must be all that dreary weather.

I dunno, I been to Portland and I can say some people there seem friendly. It was also summer though.

Whenever it gets dreary, I get in a better mood myself.

So, how do you view the Tampa area social climate? I would say its a hard call since some people move from all over the place. You never know who you will meet. Someone could give you the cold shoulder while someone else doesnt in my experience.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 AM

15,757 posts, read 32,822,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
I dunno, I been to Portland and I can say some people there seem friendly. It was also summer though.

So, how do you view the Tampa area social climate? I would say its a hard call since some people move from all over the place. You never know who you will meet. Someone could give you the cold shoulder while someone else doesnt in my experience.
Overall, I find Tampa to be a pretty friendly city, and so does my husband. I grew up there, and my husband has worked there for 16 years now. He thinks it's pretty great. Remember you can have snobby, rude or clannish people anywhere, some of that might be isolated to certain neighborhoods in any city. People tend to be friendly when they are happy where they live. Regardless of some of the bashing you see on the Tampa forums, it remains that a lot of people LOVE this city, and it ranks high on the list where people would most love to live. You can find unhappy people anywhere, but overall I think people are happy in Tampa and it reflects in their friendliness. That is my observation, which is what you asked for. Others may or may not agree.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:09 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,582,302 times
I would say chilly. I went in a coffee shoppe recently and even the cashiers didn't smile. It may be a sign of the times. Who knows what challenges other people are facing in their private lives? For me, I'm busy with my work and enjoying family life most of the time. We do socialize some with our neighbors... we have a block party planned this month that will be hillarious I'm sure. I really have no clue about the social scene. There is a commercial about people finding others with like interests on the internet then meeting at neutral locations. I cannot imagine doing that; guess I'm too old with ancient customs!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 AM

17,804 posts, read 21,965,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post

Lived in Portland and the people are polite but distant until they get to know you.

They are very courteous drivers, unlike Tampa.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,905,444 times
An article like that could have been written about just about anywhere. You could say about Florida that there are rich and poor, black and white and every one inbetween who get along but that it is hard to make friends as a newcomer because it is so transient that the residents are decent enough but they have their guard up. After high school, it is not as easy to make friends no matter where you move but also it is not out of the realm of experience depending on the individual.

I'm fairly new in town this time around and I'm already friendly (not friends but hello, goodbye, stop to chat for a while) with five of my neighbors and I've had good experiences in the surrounding area. Just yesterday I was looking for a hard to find item. The third store I tried didn't have it but turned out that an employee coincidentally had something he thought might work in his truck so he took me out to the parking lot to show a sample and then back to the store where he wrote down the manufacturer's name for me as well as the name of two of his competitors who might carry it.

The very nicest I've ever experienced anyone be to a stranger was on a biz trip to Mission Kansas years ago. I was with a group from the office on an after-work excursion to a historic site. At a four way stop, we flagged a car for instructions. The lady had heard of our destination but wasn't sure how to get there. So she had us follow her home where she could call her fireman husband for directions (this was before cell phones or gps). There, she invited us in for snacks. Some in our car were afraid to go inside. But I thought this lady was wonderful. Turned out that her daughter was in the shower at the time. I thought this lady could not have been more trusting of others.

Her kindness did not stop there. Upon getting instructions from her husband, she then insisted that she get back into her car and had us follow her to the historic site to assure our safe arrival. So she went out of her way to go home to call her husband and then out of her way again to take us to our destination. How nice was that!

I haven't experienced anything that nice in Tampa, but probably that doesn't happen much anywhere. Here, however, I have found people to be helpful: the guy at that store; the people in my local Publix are nice; and as I'm near the university I find a lot of highly educated people who are quite considerate of others. (Do not be surprised to learn that your cashier is a PhD candidate, afterall.) I'm only here about a year and already, just in the last few weeks, I've had one neighbor offer two tickets to a ball game because their friends cancelled, another offered me a pallet of sod when he'd ordered too much and another came over to help when I was working on my little house.

So my take on Tampa is that there are good people here. Even though I am in an area with a lot of diversity (many Muslims, orthodox Jewish, born again Christians, Agnostics & Athiests, highly educated being near the university but also quite a few non-city folk being 20 minutes away from downtown, I haven't noticed anyone being purposely rude to each other.

As to drivers, I've got a lot of young & distracted ones here. I've seen some silly moves but I don't believe they are motivated by malice. And I've got 300 hp under the hood myself to get around them when required. Nya Nya. All in all, on a social scale, the residents seem to merge just fine.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Lived in Portland and the people are polite but distant until they get to know you.

They are very courteous drivers, unlike Tampa.

Oh you can say that again. It is REALLY courteous there in regards to passengers. Tampa so not the case there.

I think Portland imo is friendlier than they say Seattle is, but true, takes a little bit to get to know people, but when you do, seems you have a friend for life there.

In regards to someone else saying how people act based on how happy they are, I suppose its true unless those who are happy are only happy with a select few and nobody else or whatever. I find it overall friendly in Tampa area considering the drivers are rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or