Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,611 times

Advertisements

The scary thing is; I have yet to see a police officer driving around WITHOUT talking on their Cell phone!!!

Yikes!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:13 PM

357 posts, read 799,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
The scary thing is; I have yet to see a police officer driving around WITHOUT talking on their Cell phone!!!

Yikes!!!

Glad someone else mentioned it. I see this all the time too. When will they pass a law against the police and their reckless driving, tailgating, etc?

I really don't see the need to have more laws on the books. Doesn't texting while driving already fall under the "reckless driving" category? Also, how can it be proven that the said person was indeed texting? I had a friend in another state who looked down at his phone to check the time and was cited under the state's draconian "hands free" phone law. There's so much potential for abuse with these laws. It's common sense -- if you're going to be texting while driving, applying makeup, reading the newspaper, etc. it's more than likely going to affect your driving, which already falls under "reckless driving".

Old 08-02-2010, 02:27 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
handsfree calling is just as distracting as using the phone in your hand.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:46 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
handsfree calling is just as distracting as using the phone in your hand.
Well at least 2 hands are on the wheel, which is for sure more than 30% more safe than one hand...

Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Texting while driving is just another result of the "I don't give a sh*t, I'm going to do what I want" attitude that prevails in society these days. People that text while driving KNOW that they could cause an accident and really don't care that they might be holding up someone behind them.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:15 PM

25 posts, read 58,923 times
I'm a Northerner (from NY) who just moved down here and most of the states up there already have some type of ban on cell phone usage, so the idea that it would affect tourism is ludicrous. I have never seen such ridiculous, unsafe, distracted driving since moving to Tampa, and I have driven the Lincoln Tunnel at rush hour. This needs to be a huge priority to get a law passed - and the first thing that needs to be done is to get the light shining on the cops driving with a cell phone plastered to their ear. This is nuts that this continues in this state.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan View Post
I'm a Northerner (from NY) who just moved down here and most of the states up there already have some type of ban on cell phone usage, so the idea that it would affect tourism is ludicrous. I have never seen such ridiculous, unsafe, distracted driving since moving to Tampa, and I have driven the Lincoln Tunnel at rush hour. This needs to be a huge priority to get a law passed - and the first thing that needs to be done is to get the light shining on the cops driving with a cell phone plastered to their ear. This is nuts that this continues in this state.
I agree. I've driven Detroit and Chicago regularly, and in Manhattan for the brief period I lived there. Drivers are worse down here, and I do think it is due to distracted driving. I would love to see a law passed.

Just the other day some guy flew by me on 275 and literally nearly clipped my front wheel while he was weaving in and out. He was texting with both hands up at the top of the steering wheel.

Last edited by Maggi07; 08-02-2010 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,215 times
Nothing like being run off the road into a median by a texting driver. I had my 3-year old daughter with me. You have no idea how much restraint it took to keep myself from following this person and confronting them at the next light.

People just don't get it. When they cause an accident or become the victim of another cell phone gabber/texter while driving, THEN, maybe they'll get it.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:26 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,880 times
Quote:
Affect tourism.. what?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:

No kidding. Have lived all over the country and have never seen so many careless and reckless drivers like there are here.

Just an FYI, many here drive with no car insurance. FL leads the nation in uninsured drivers.

You need to make sure you have full coverage here.

It amazes me how you just walk into a DMV here and they hand you a license, no road test, no written test, no car inspection.....nothing.

Moved from CA to Oregon and had to take a written test and have vehicle inspected, imagine the money and jobs that would be created if FL got on the ball and started inspecting cars.

Not to mention the safety factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: