U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 01:46 PM

17 posts, read 38,226 times

Advertisements

I am potentially moving down to Tampa in October. My wife and I were just down for the weekend, and toured just about the whole city.

One question I have is where are the traffic problem spots for a commute?

My job is located on Linebaugh, just north of the Airport, pretty central and we definitely were looking into the Westcahse area, obviously it is a very nice area and very short commute...but up in the price range.

We toured Carrollwood and Town N Country, but lots of locals warned us that the area was going downhill rather quickly.

My question is how horrible is the HWY 60 causeway during rush hour?
Is it true to stay clear of HWY 19 in clearwater?
and
The Bruce B Downs going back and forth to New Tampa really bad traffic wise, as it seemed like the only area in town under major construction.
or is is better just to stay on 275?

The area is confusing...so many really nice homes next to so many run down spots...thats got to run havoc on property values.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 03:04 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,464,761 times
Carrollwood is fine. I don't know who told you that. Traffic on 60 may get heavy, but it usually stays moving. It gets bad at the 275 interchange, but construction is finishing up over there, so it may get a little better. 19 used to be really awful. It's gotten a little better since they've upgraded some of it to freeway standards.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,568 times
[FONT=Verdana]Traffic all over is somewhat bad during rush hour. I would definitely not be silly enough to move across the bridge, unless you want an hour drive. New Tampa is way too far from Linebaugh....trust me, that is my commute currently and it takes over an hour. Like the above person said, Carrollwood is a great area. If you like Westchase, you might want to look at some of the homes in Countryway....they are pretty much in the same neighborhood, just a little older. Anything north of Linebaugh (in betwwen Dale Mabry and Sheldon) is good area, except maybe Plantation (not the best neighborhood).[/FONT]

Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 AM

17 posts, read 38,226 times
Thank you very much.
I think Carrollwood might be feasible.
I am definitely looking into the Countryway area next time down.

I wish google maps had a rush hour travel time option. The commute times are so off, when any traffic is around.

Any opinions on traffic from North Clearwater or Palm Harbor - Safety Harbor or Oldsmar area. Basically going around the Bay, as opposed to over the causeway. Driving through Safety Harbor was slow, but traffic seemed to flow fine.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:56 PM

471 posts, read 1,541,086 times
Takes me about 25 min. from Palm Harbor to get to the intersection of Linebaugh and Anderson(no. of the airport) Oldsmar would be a little less, Safety Harbor about the same. It's a straight shot from Tampa Rd(or 580 from Safety Harbor) to Forest Lake which becomes Linebaugh at Race Track Rd(from the east part of Oldsmar, you would use Race Track or Countryway to Linebaugh)

Old 08-09-2010, 04:08 PM

16,715 posts, read 11,155,884 times
All of Tampa is nothing but traffic.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 AM

428 posts, read 1,357,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
All of Tampa is nothing but traffic.
Almost all...

All the more need for the transit initiative to pass. Unfortunately, there has been some tea party opposition, which I can see from the 'additional tax' angle, but the fact that businesses are pleading for this to reduce congestion, costs for shipping/transit time, and the number of jobs that road, bus lane, and light rail projects would bring. It's a no-brainer, especially since tourists will be paying a significant percentage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay