U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 AM

27,798 posts, read 28,122,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
The Rays also would benefit by moving to a more centrally located stadium.
If they built a new stadium somewhere near the Ford Amphitheater, they would draw more folks from Lakeland and even Orlando.
This is very true. But a new stadium will also increase ticket prices tremendously. Right now, the Trop offers one some of the most affordable ticket prices in professional sports.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-03-2010, 08:13 AM

27,798 posts, read 28,122,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
This is a regular Twins game when we had a dome. Mind you a dome that was 15 yrs older and 100x crappier than yours

So, can you weird Floridians explain to me why you cannot fill seats in a stadium to watch an awesome team??

Minnesota Twins Attendance Records by Baseball Almanac

Look at the Twin's attendance figures from the last decade. I wouldn't say that they were selling out the Gladbag Dome. Their current attendance is only related to their new stadium. That'll change in the seasons to come once the novelty wears off.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:17 AM

4,586 posts, read 3,634,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
This is very true. But a new stadium will also increase ticket prices tremendously. Right now, the Trop offers one some of the most affordable ticket prices in professional sports.
Also true ... but living in Orlando, I go to 1-2 games a year with the family and not more b/c of the 3-4 hours spent in the car. I would definitely go to several more if the stadium was within an hour for me.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 AM

3,928 posts, read 10,675,538 times
I agree with the others in that Rays against the Yankees or Sox draws more fans. Great game last night, though. Rays win and Yankees loss = tied for first place in AL!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM

772 posts, read 1,664,257 times
Even though folks aren't going to games at the Trop => Lots of Rays fans are watching, even if not at Trop
they are watching in increasing numbers on TV. Either due to the heat, economy, traffic, whatever reason, the fan base is here, just not attending games.

The Rays are projected to draw 1.8 fans this year; the Yanks by comparison will draw 4 million at home and probably another 3-4 on the road.

I was also at the game Saturday night and it was really a delightful time; the whole family had fun. Easy to get to; easy to get home; and great seats. What's not to like????

Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,452,277 times
Quote:
Clearly the OP doesn't understand our area. This region is filled with transplants. And a lot of fans here keep their allegiance to their original cities. It's hard for true fans to chance allegiances just because they moved cities.

The Yankee series this past weekend was sold out - so I'm not surprised that the Twins game was back to the usual attendance. The Rays avg 21k. That's not so bad for a stadium located up to an hour's drive from the majority of the fans that attend the games (we all know that St Pete doesn't support the team like Tampa does).

Most of the Rays games are televised; that's another reason not to attend the games as well.

And finally, afterall....who really cares about the Twins?
Of course I don't understand! That's what I said in my OP!!! That's why I created the post. I am baffled, confused, lost and curious? Is that such a crime?

And if you're a baseball fan, you should care about the Twins. They are a good club. As are the Rays. As a baseball fan, I attend Twins games when they are playing good teams... Like the Rays. if the Rays were in town I wouldn't say "Who cares about the Rays"

Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Minnesota Twins Attendance Records by Baseball Almanac

Look at the Twin's attendance figures from the last decade. I wouldn't say that they were selling out the Gladbag Dome. Their current attendance is only related to their new stadium. That'll change in the seasons to come once the novelty wears off.

I never said that we had sellouts.. But we had solid numbers, and that's inside in Minnesota. We only have 3 months of awesome weather, so it's still impressive when 20,000 pack inside to watch a lowly baseball team. Especially one that wasn't just in the WS 2 years ago like your Rays

And the attendance isn't good just because of the new stadium, yea that helps, but there is a solid grassroots fan base, plus we have a team with two former #1 overall draft picks, 2 former MVPs, and a future HOFer.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 AM

For those of you who keep sending me PMs and Reps with messages, I get it. You love your Rays, but I'm not being a 'jerk' or and 'idiot' so keep the name calling to yourselves. It was a serious question. I was curious. I couldn't understand it. I was like "This is a good team", "Carl Crawford, BJ Upton, Longoria, Pena, Garza, this team has superstars", "They were just in the WS" and "They are playing the Twins" "It's summer in FL and we're indoors" "This place is affordable" I kept asking my freind these questions and we were just weirded out as to why it was so empty.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 AM

for those of you giving great reasons, thanks! I understand now- The stadium is far away, Sox fans, etc.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:44 AM

346 posts, read 1,246,874 times
All the excuses in the world can't replace the fact that Florida has THE worst baseball fans anywhere! The Rays just recently went to the WS and can't even get 10000 people to go to a game. The Marlins have won 2 WS championships and can't do the same either. I think you can make it as easy as possible for people to get the stadium anywhere and they'll still stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or