U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,452,050 times

Advertisements

^
From the sounds of it, it seems like the transplants are playing a major role. myself, I'm just a baseball fan, I'd love to go to Tropicana for $20 and watch the Rays, they are an awesome organization.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-04-2010, 11:42 AM

749 posts, read 2,203,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
We love baseball and go the the Cincinnati Reds games several times a year but when we get to Florida we will be at the beach, scuba diving, Disney, Busch, antiquing etc.

So much to do in Florida that other states do not have.

I also agree with a poster, tons of Red Sox fans all over Tampa.

The Yankees just bought another player and another trip to the WS in Lance Berkman. Seems almost not fair they can just go out and buy up player after player like they do. Hurts teams like Tampa and others.

We love to go to spring training games in Florida but once we get there we probably wont be seeing many of them. Way to much to do in Florida.

Not to say we wont go to a Rays game but once we are in Fla I can see us doing tons of other things before going to a game.
Bingo.......there's your answer right there. MLB has more competition for the entertainment dollar here with the beaches , theme parks, outdoor activities etc.

Now one can say New York, Chicago and Detroit have a lot of alternitive entertainment in their markets as well, trouble is the Rays don't have a 60-80 year rich tradition and history to fall back on like those markets.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 28,114,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
^
From the sounds of it, it seems like the transplants are playing a major role. myself, I'm just a baseball fan, I'd love to go to Tropicana for $20 and watch the Rays, they are an awesome organization.
I'm the same way - lived near Atlanta and Seattle and would go to Braves, Mariner games all the time just to see games - didn't really matter was playing.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:29 PM

27,798 posts, read 28,114,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
All the excuses in the world can't replace the fact that Florida has THE worst baseball fans anywhere! The Rays just recently went to the WS and can't even get 10000 people to go to a game. The Marlins have won 2 WS championships and can't do the same either. I think you can make it as easy as possible for people to get the stadium anywhere and they'll still stay home.
clueless - show me a link where they've drawn less than 10k - they average 21k and are nearly the smallest market in the league.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,207,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Clearly the OP doesn't understand our area. This region is filled with transplants. And a lot of fans here keep their allegiance to their original cities. It's hard for true fans to chance allegiances just because they moved cities.

The Yankee series this past weekend was sold out - so I'm not surprised that the Twins game was back to the usual attendance. The Rays avg 21k. That's not so bad for a stadium located up to an hour's drive from the majority of the fans that attend the games (we all know that St Pete doesn't support the team like Tampa does).

Most of the Rays games are televised; that's another reason not to attend the games as well.

And finally, afterall....who really cares about the Twins?
I agree with this post. I just can't stand when people from other places comment on what wrong with our area and then proceed to proclaim how they are better because _____, especially when they are clueless about the situation.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:13 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,452,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I agree with this post. I just can't stand when people from other places comment on what wrong with our area and then proceed to proclaim how they are better because _____, especially when they are clueless about the situation.
Proclaim? It's a fact. My team draws more fans than yours. It's not a proclaimation silly, it's facts. If facts hurt you, that's your problem.

And if you read my other posts as well as my OP, it wasn't a comment. It was a question. I am confused. I don't get why the stadium is emtpy. So I asked fellow TB-STP residents to tell me why.

Carl Craford
Carlos Pena
Evan Longoria
Ben Zorbrist
BJ Upton

That sounds like a pretty good team to me.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 PM

4,586 posts, read 3,633,688 times
Quote:
Proclaim? It's a fact. My team draws more fans than yours. It's not a proclaimation silly, it's facts. If facts hurt you, that's your problem.

And if you read my other posts as well as my OP, it wasn't a comment. It was a question. I am confused. I don't get why the stadium is emtpy. So I asked fellow TB-STP residents to tell me why.

Carl Craford
Carlos Pena
Evan Longoria
Ben Zorbrist
BJ Upton

It is a good team, but ...

1) The stadium is not in the best location to draw fans
2) There are a lot of transplanted fans from NY & Boston and not as many
from other markets
3) Unemployment is high

If I was tight on money and a baseball fan, I would choose to go to the games in which my favorite team was playing and a not a random game such as the Rays vs KC, Minnesota, Seattle, etc

Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 PM

17,802 posts, read 22,343,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
It is a good team, but ...

1) The stadium is not in the best location to draw fans
2) There are a lot of transplanted fans from NY & Boston and not as many
from other markets
3) Unemployment is high

If I was tight on money and a baseball fan, I would choose to go to the games in which my favorite team was playing and a not a random game such as the Rays vs KC, Minnesota, Seattle, etc

Exactly. Especially number 3.

The Rays don't have a long history of success here and there is also some resentment that the owner threatened to leave the Tampa Bay area unless they got new stadium paid for by the taxpayers.

Many locals said don't let the door hit you in the a** to that comment.

I will take the Ray fans over those Philly fans. The last incident where a family was "thrown up" on was just disgusting.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 PM

839 posts, read 1,535,152 times
Tampa just doesn't have the fan loyalty as does Minneapolis/St Paul. This is particularly true when it comes to baseball and IMO the Tampa area doesn't deserve a baseball team. Come to think of it there shouldn't be any profesional baseball teams in the South as they have lousy fan attendance even when playing well and in the postseason hunt (Atlanta, Miami). The South will always be football and Nascar. There were rumors a few months ago of the Rays moving to Orlando. Their attendance would be even lower and down near 500 people per game if that were to happen. Awful idea. As for building the Rays a stadium in Tampa to draw from a larger fan base that may help slightly but you would lose some fans that live in St.Pete that don't feel like driving 30-45 min to get to the game as well as those that reside in Manatee County. the main issue isn't the location but rather the fact that fans in the area don't want to spend more than $20 per ticket. they'd rather watch on TV and if the Rays ever fell back to the .500 mark just imagine how even more abyssmal the attendance numbers would be.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,207,940 times
Quote:

Carl Craford
Carlos Pena
Evan Longoria
Ben Zorbrist
BJ Upton

There are better ways to ask questions than being smug and saying "what is wrong with you people". After hearing ignorant people from all over the country give their 2 cents on the Rays attendance problems, the last thing a Rays fan wants to hear is "what is wrong with you people"

Last edited by TB Fla; 08-05-2010 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or