Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:02 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,921 times

Advertisements

I'm a Twins fan from Minnesota watching the Rays Vs. Twins game at Tropicana right now. I am literally blown away at how empty the stadium is.

Why is this? The Rays are probably one of the top 3 teams in the MLB right now. And they were just in the World Series.

How can you people not fill up a stadium?

Don't give me no lame excuses like 'it's indoors' and 'tropicana sucks'. We Minnesotans (you know, the people that get about 3 months of 'summer' a year) used to pack and cram indoors at the Dome to watch mediocre teams...

This is a regular Twins game when we had a dome. Mind you a dome that was 15 yrs older and 100x crappier than yours

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs550.ash1/32100_679960527051_56000713_38747154_7396817_n.jpg (broken link)

So, can you weird Floridians explain to me why you cannot fill seats in a stadium to watch an awesome team??

Old 08-02-2010, 08:08 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Most baseball aficionados in Tampa are either Yankee or Red Sox fans.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 PM

25 posts, read 58,923 times
We were there yesterday! Can't afford family of 5 too many times a summer!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
We love baseball and go the the Cincinnati Reds games several times a year but when we get to Florida we will be at the beach, scuba diving, Disney, Busch, antiquing etc.

So much to do in Florida that other states do not have.

I also agree with a poster, tons of Red Sox fans all over Tampa.

The Yankees just bought another player and another trip to the WS in Lance Berkman. Seems almost not fair they can just go out and buy up player after player like they do. Hurts teams like Tampa and others.

We love to go to spring training games in Florida but once we get there we probably wont be seeing many of them. Way to much to do in Florida.

Not to say we wont go to a Rays game but once we are in Fla I can see us doing tons of other things before going to a game.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:21 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times
I was just there for Friday's game against the Yankees and the place was packed. Though plenty of Yankee fans for sure, there seemed quite a few Rays' fans based upon the cheering. In the traffic on the way there, however, we didn't notice anyone in Rays gear but plenty of Yankee stuff and the section where we wound up (nice seats) did seem mostly Yankee fans, especially the percussion section behind us.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
The Rays also would benefit by moving to a more centrally located stadium.
If they built a new stadium somewhere near the Ford Amphitheater, they would draw more folks from Lakeland and even Orlando.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,880 times
I think the NY'ers are the ones who complain about the stadium TBH just like they complain about everything when moving down here from the food to lifestyle to whatever.

Can someone answer me this.. when I have been to downtown St Pete on a gameday which I have been quite a few times, is it only against the Yankees and Red Sox that they charge $15-20 to park? I only saw those signs up whenever those 2 teams came to town. Otherwise, I haven't. Someone shed some light on this. I mean why would anyone pay those ridiculous prices when you can park for free on the street like 4-5 blocks away for FREE after 6 pm.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:15 PM

96 posts, read 255,100 times
I hope the Rays DESTROY the Yankees ! The Rays are extremely talented and have a great pitching staff. Those same Yankees fans are probably the same Cowboys and Heat fans, bandwagon jumpers ! Sox and Cubs fans are ok with me. Would be nice to see a Team like the Rays with a smaller payroll crush the rich pompous Yankees. The Rays deserve great fan support every night. They put a great Team out on the field for their peeps !

Old 08-02-2010, 11:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I'm a Twins fan from Minnesota watching the Rays Vs. Twins game at Tropicana right now. I am literally blown away at how empty the stadium is.

Why is this? The Rays are probably one of the top 3 teams in the MLB right now. And they were just in the World Series.

How can you people not fill up a stadium?

Don't give me no lame excuses like 'it's indoors' and 'tropicana sucks'. We Minnesotans (you know, the people that get about 3 months of 'summer' a year) used to pack and cram indoors at the Dome to watch mediocre teams...

This is a regular Twins game when we had a dome. Mind you a dome that was 15 yrs older and 100x crappier than yours

So, can you weird Floridians explain to me why you cannot fill seats in a stadium to watch an awesome team??
Ever hear the expression " it's the economy stupid".

Another 500 jobs just left this area just this week.

BTW an indoor stadium in Florida in the summer is the only way to watch a game.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:06 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Clearly the OP doesn't understand our area. This region is filled with transplants. And a lot of fans here keep their allegiance to their original cities. It's hard for true fans to chance allegiances just because they moved cities.

The Yankee series this past weekend was sold out - so I'm not surprised that the Twins game was back to the usual attendance. The Rays avg 21k. That's not so bad for a stadium located up to an hour's drive from the majority of the fans that attend the games (we all know that St Pete doesn't support the team like Tampa does).

Most of the Rays games are televised; that's another reason not to attend the games as well.

And finally, afterall....who really cares about the Twins?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay