U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 10:25 AM

84 posts, read 148,132 times

Advertisements

Have been contemplating the idea. Parents live in the Brandon area. Thought it might be nice to be near them and near the beach. Seems like a nice place that could also be affordable. I'd always wanted a nice ocean view.

So aside from my fantasy of how great it would be to live in St. Pete or something similar in FL, what's the reality?

1: Unexpected costs...Taxes, insurance, ect...
2: Hurricane issues. I know they don't always hit, but do I have to live with constant evacuation issues as well as insurance costs...
3: Schools...This is important for me, 2 little ones.
4: Community, how are the people?
5: Things to do? Can you enjoy the town without spending lots of money.
6: Jobs: What kind of work can I expect to find?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:55 AM

22,291 posts, read 32,796,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamike View Post
Have been contemplating the idea. Parents live in the Brandon area. Thought it might be nice to be near them and near the beach. Seems like a nice place that could also be affordable. I'd always wanted a nice ocean view.

So aside from my fantasy of how great it would be to live in St. Pete or something similar in FL, what's the reality?

1: Unexpected costs...Taxes, insurance, ect...
2: Hurricane issues. I know they don't always hit, but do I have to live with constant evacuation issues as well as insurance costs...
3: Schools...This is important for me, 2 little ones.
4: Community, how are the people?
5: Things to do? Can you enjoy the town without spending lots of money.
6: Jobs: What kind of work can I expect to find?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Mike
Well, I did a bit of poking to see where you are now and how that would compare.

Coming from Austin you'll find property taxes to be around the same, maybe less. Home Insurance will probably cost more (?), around $1800-$2200 per year. Evacuation issues occur only in coastal/flood areas. You'll know prior to purchase about such issues. Many folks will push you toward upper Pinellas County Schools (Palm Harbor/Tarpon Springs). I'd highly recommend the schools in Seminole..they're just as good and in a more central/convenient area close to the beaches and Tampa/St Pete. I think you'll find people as friendly as where you are now depending upon where you settle. Older, more established neighborhoods (Seminole has some nice ones) tend to be friendlier than new construction neighborhoods. I think you'll find there is a lot to do here that doesn't cost a lot of money. One of the nice perks to living in Seminole is the nearby Pinellas Trail, a free 37 mile long bike/jogging path (Pinellas Trail (http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/12_trail.htm - broken link)), not to mention the very close proximity to Redington Shores/Indian Shores beaches. Lastly, the Tampa Bay area is considered a major metro area (2.8 million people), around the same size as Charlotte, NC or Columbus, OH...and as is the case with metro areas that size, a wide range of job occupations exist.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask more, you'll get lots of good information here.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:21 PM

707 posts, read 1,332,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
and as is the case with metro areas that size, a wide range of job occupations exist.

I keep wondering where these jobs exist as tampas unemployment rate is at 12%

Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I keep wondering where these jobs exist as tampas unemployment rate is at 12%
I didn't say jobs, I said occupations. There's a difference.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:46 PM

84 posts, read 148,132 times
Quote:
When I asked the question it was in relation to types of jobs/industry, as well as availability of jobs...

Mike

Old 08-07-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamike View Post
When I asked the question it was in relation to types of jobs/industry, as well as availability of jobs...

Mike
What kind of work do you expect to find? It doesn't matter where you're moving in this economy, you should have something lined up or at least a good possibility before blindly moving someplace else.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:06 PM

96 posts, read 231,995 times
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. There are some folks here that just don't "get it" about the Tampa area and get all flustered with the high unemployment rate.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:17 PM

161 posts, read 409,292 times
Sorry to be vague, but I don't have a ton of time right now.

1: Lived here too long to know what the unexpected ones are.
2: Hurricanes are nothing to get too worked up about... just make sure you have a plan in case we do have to leave or are shut out of power for a few days.
3: My experience is that schools are very sub-par. Having grown up in the system here and attended the universities... they are nothing impressive. I would strongly recommend adding what you can to your little one's educational experience... check out the high school magnet programs as well.
4: St Pete has its rough spots. But it also has some decent spots as well, where people are friendly.
5: Fishing, boating, museums, food. Most things aren't too expensive if you know where to look.
6: Depending on what you mean by jobs... things are tight... just depends on what area you will be looking.

If you are more specific (types of things you like to do or what field you are in), it would help.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:45 AM

792 posts, read 2,079,751 times
Quote:
no there isn't. Not nowadays.

People take whatever they can.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:00 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,790,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
no there isn't. Not nowadays.

People take whatever they can.
Yea this isnt the 3rd world YET, but it is headed there I believe especially outer Tampa.. It will look really ugly in 5 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay