U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2010, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Trigga City, FL
139 posts, read 188,663 times
Reputation: 52

Advertisements

I would say the vast majority are Rays fans, but there is a good amount of Yankees fans. As for the stadium debate, St. Pete is a terrible location. Downtown Tampa would be great. Just look at the Bucs and Lightning attendance. The Rays could be getting the same if they were in Tampa.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Amherst, MA
3,636 posts, read 8,869,035 times
Reputation: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Do you live in New York? Or some area of Tampa that I've never been? Because that ratio is whacked. Yankee bandwagon jumpers are legion nationally, but there is no city that has its own MLB team where they outnumber or equal the home team. I see about 5-6 times as many Rays shirts/caps/license plates/etc as any other team.
LOL!!! you see a lot more Rays stuff on people in FL than any other team. YA, in TAMPA maybe. Everywhere else it is NYY or Red Sox I see. I go to Rays/Red Sox games in St. Pete, and it is about 50/50 at most games I have been at. You apparently have NOT watched the games out of NY or Boston I take it. Look at the crowds....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2010, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Trigga City, FL
139 posts, read 188,663 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
LOL!!! you see a lot more Rays stuff on people in FL than any other team. YA, in TAMPA maybe. Everywhere else it is NYY or Red Sox I see. I go to Rays/Red Sox games in St. Pete, and it is about 50/50 at most games I have been at. You apparently have NOT watched the games out of NY or Boston I take it. Look at the crowds....
Huh???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2010, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 27,947,617 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33nthe813 View Post
I would say the vast majority are Rays fans, but there is a good amount of Yankees fans. As for the stadium debate, St. Pete is a terrible location. Downtown Tampa would be great. Just look at the Bucs and Lightning attendance. The Rays could be getting the same if they were in Tampa.
I attended about 20 Lightning games last year - most of the games were only half filled. I attended most Buc games last season and will be season tix holder this year - lots of open red seats or seats occupied by opponent fans. Having the stadium in Tampa doesn't guarantee higher attendance.

It only guarantees a higher ticket price to pay for a half a billion dollar stadium.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 03:23 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 27,947,617 times
Reputation: 14611
I've noticed a trend around here - that a lot of these Tampa New York Yankee fans are closet Rays fans as well. Same goes for Red Sox fans. You hear them all the time on the Tampa area talk sports radio. They start out by saying they're Yankee or Sox fans and then say they've been following the Rays and really like their style of play, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if these fans, many who have been living in Tampa for decades, would join the Rays' bandwagon if they ever made it back to the World Series again.

Fence sitters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 PM
 
2,414 posts, read 5,187,375 times
Reputation: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I attended about 20 Lightning games last year - most of the games were only half filled. I attended most Buc games last season and will be season tix holder this year - lots of open red seats or seats occupied by opponent fans. Having the stadium in Tampa doesn't guarantee higher attendance.

It only guarantees a higher ticket price to pay for a half a billion dollar stadium.
It seems to if the team is playing good. The bucs sold out almost every game when Gruden was still coaching.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 AM
 
Location: FL
766 posts, read 1,653,324 times
Reputation: 1564
What a shame; the RAYS tied for 1st place and with a tie for the best record in baseball only drew 12,000 people playing the Toronto Blue Jays on a Monday night.

While the Yankees drew 46,000 people playing the Oakland A's on a Monday night.

And people wonder why Tampa doesn't have the budget of the Yankees???

What a shame....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Marion County, FL
1,287 posts, read 2,608,321 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I've noticed a trend around here - that a lot of these Tampa New York Yankee fans are closet Rays fans as well. Same goes for Red Sox fans. You hear them all the time on the Tampa area talk sports radio. They start out by saying they're Yankee or Sox fans and then say they've been following the Rays and really like their style of play, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if these fans, many who have been living in Tampa for decades, would join the Rays' bandwagon if they ever made it back to the World Series again.

Fence sitters.
I'm a lifelong Yankee fan, born and raised in northern NJ outside NYC, now living in Marion County. I could never, EVER, root for another team -- but as a baseball fan, I can appreciate a good team with good players. That doesn't mean I want them to win -- in fact, as much as it pained me as a Yankee fan, I was rooting for the Red Sox to win two out of three from the Rays this weekend (not all three -- gotta keep those Sawx down, you know).

Oh, and those Yankee fans who say they like the Rays' style of play? They may just be scoping out players who may one day end up in pinstripes. David Price would look especially nice with the linked NY on his cap.

And I still listen to NYC sports talk radio on the Internet -- and if I were ever to call into a station, it would be either one of the NYC sports stations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 27,947,617 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
What a shame; the RAYS tied for 1st place and with a tie for the best record in baseball only drew 12,000 people playing the Toronto Blue Jays on a Monday night.

While the Yankees drew 46,000 people playing the Oakland A's on a Monday night.

And people wonder why Tampa doesn't have the budget of the Yankees???

What a shame....
There's a lot of reasons for this - and easy to jump to conclusions. First of all, the NY metro area is quadruple the size of Tampa, so wouldn't it make a lot of sense to outdraw them.

Second, many from Tampa say that the location of the Trop isn't worth the drive.

Third, the unemployment rate along with the real estate bust has negatively affected the Southeastern USA than the rest of the country.

Fourth, the Red Sox series just finished and many fans attended the weekend games instead.

As for the budget, the Yankees have their own cable station that carries their games and this is a large source of their income.

For the Rays to be tied with the Yankees is quite an accomplishment since their payroll is 30% of the Yankees'.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 27,947,617 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
I could never, EVER, root for another team -- but as a baseball fan
Before Steinbrenner spent so much money on free agents, the Yankees were pathetic. I'm sure if they ever returned to a cellar dwellar, many Yankee fans who live in Tampa would exchange loyalties.

But as long as the NY Yankees continue to outspend the rest of the league and competes for the championship, the fans will continue to support their old home team.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top