U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:37 PM

1,287 posts, read 2,596,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Before Steinbrenner spent so much money on free agents, the Yankees were pathetic. I'm sure if they ever returned to a cellar dwellar, many Yankee fans who live in Tampa would exchange loyalties.

But as long as the NY Yankees continue to outspend the rest of the league and competes for the championship, the fans will continue to support their old home team.
You need to read some of the history of baseball.

You DO realize that the Yankees existed BEFORE Steinbrenner bought them? That they won the World Series 20 times before 1973, and did it without free agents, because free agency didn't exist before Curt Flood? You call that pathetic?

And I don't care about what other Yankee fans do. I've been a fan for my entire life, and some of my fondest memories involve my late father and the Yankees. I'm 55, so that means I remember how bad they were in the mid-60s through the mid-70s, and how lean the 80s were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 PM

762 posts, read 1,642,941 times
The Yankee games were never easy to get to. The traffic to the Bronx around rush hour is almost impossible. Then try to get parking once you get there. Not to mention ticket prices.

I went to the Rays game when the Yanks came to town in August and I'm going again Sept 15th. Going to the Rays game is a delightful family experience (although I didn't like paying $11 for a beer). The parking was great, traffic not SOOOO bad. If your a baseball fan, you have to go out and support the Rays.

Quote:
There's a lot of reasons for this - and easy to jump to conclusions. First of all, the NY metro area is quadruple the size of Tampa, so wouldn't it make a lot of sense to outdraw them.

Second, many from Tampa say that the location of the Trop isn't worth the drive.

Third, the unemployment rate along with the real estate bust has negatively affected the Southeastern USA than the rest of the country.

Fourth, the Red Sox series just finished and many fans attended the weekend games instead.

As for the budget, the Yankees have their own cable station that carries their games and this is a large source of their income.

For the Rays to be tied with the Yankees is quite an accomplishment since their payroll is 30% of the Yankees'.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,904,992 times
TO FL natives, its Rays all day. But since most folks in the area are unfortunately not natives and from places like NY and Mass., the Yanks are probably as popular here. Did you see the Rays game yesterday? Tied for 1st place and had 11,000 fans at the game. Pathetic. If the NY fans would adapt and become Rays fans, then they'd sell out every game! But they wont, and I can understand that, I just dont like it. Especially when you feel outnumbered in your own state. Oh well, I live in Asheville NC now (). Jealous?!?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,747,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
TO FL natives, its Rays all day. But since most folks in the area are unfortunately not natives and from places like NY and Mass., the Yanks are probably as popular here. Did you see the Rays game yesterday? Tied for 1st place and had 11,000 fans at the game. Pathetic. If the NY fans would adapt and become Rays fans, then they'd sell out every game! But they wont, and I can understand that, I just dont like it. Especially when you feel outnumbered in your own state. Oh well, I live in Asheville NC now (). Jealous?!?
New York has what? 8 million people in its area - while ST Pete has less than a million. Not sure how one could expect the two cities to have the same attendance.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:01 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,747,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
You need to read some of the history of baseball.

You DO realize that the Yankees existed BEFORE Steinbrenner bought them? That they won the World Series 20 times before 1973, and did it without free agents, because free agency didn't exist before Curt Flood? You call that pathetic?

And I don't care about what other Yankee fans do. I've been a fan for my entire life, and some of my fondest memories involve my late father and the Yankees. I'm 55, so that means I remember how bad they were in the mid-60s through the mid-70s, and how lean the 80s were.
My point was that immediately before Steinbrenner, the Yankees sucked and didn't have the same hype by their fandom as they do today. It's easy to like a winner and a reason why NYers who have FLA license plates don't convert to the Rays. Many of these transplants have been here longer than they were in NY.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM

762 posts, read 1,642,941 times
Quote:
New York has what? 8 million people in its area - while ST Pete has less than a million. Not sure how one could expect the two cities to have the same attendance.
Dude, the Tampa bay Area accounts for about 4 million people (CSA - Combined statistical area). Add to that fringes of Orlando and Lakeland and parts sound and north that don't have a baseball team that could come out to see a Rays game.

Tampa Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,449,760 times
Nobody's going to drive here from Orlando just to watch a baseball game, especially during the business week.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:36 AM

2,360 posts, read 4,669,878 times
Quote:
There's a lot of reasons for this - and easy to jump to conclusions. First of all, the NY metro area is quadruple the size of Tampa, so wouldn't it make a lot of sense to outdraw them.

Second, many from Tampa say that the location of the Trop isn't worth the drive.

Third, the unemployment rate along with the real estate bust has negatively affected the Southeastern USA than the rest of the country.

Fourth, the Red Sox series just finished and many fans attended the weekend games instead.

As for the budget, the Yankees have their own cable station that carries their games and this is a large source of their income.

For the Rays to be tied with the Yankees is quite an accomplishment since their payroll is 30% of the Yankees'.
How far is it from Tampa to the Trop? Would a real fan say that it wasen"t worth the drive? Not much of a fan.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,163,320 times
Quote:

You could also add to this:

Almost zero public transportation to the Trop, unlike NYC

Nothing special around the Trop Except for maybe Ferg's

Major transplant populations loyal to their hometown teams

The Rays lack any sort of winning history, of any history for that matter, unlike the Yanks.

Many people don't like the Trop. (If they only got rid of those stupid catwalks)

I can't think of any more right now. These are all factors that contribute to poor attendance. But there still is no excuse for a team as good as the Rays to be playing in such an empty house. I wish I could afford to go to every game but I can't. The economy has hit my family hard.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:59 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,193,979 times
I have been to one Rays game, had a blast, it was a concert series when Train played. Only other field I have been was Safeco in Seattle. The problem with the Rays is that there is no other reason to visit the stadium other than to watch a game. There is no energy outside and around the ball park. There are no restaurants and bars across the street that cater into making it an all day event. The stadium is in an industrial part of town that has nothing aroudn it. Its booooooring around that stadium. Nobody lives around the stadium that can afford to go. The game we went to was a sold out game and it seemed dead outside..... strange.

Inside the stadium. Well, its really not that bad. I laughed at myself because I expected there to be cup holders at the seats. The halls are narrow and pretty crammed and the concession lines block those trying to walk in the narrow halls. The little midway place by homeplate entrance is great, kids loved it... as is the Ray Tank.

All in all it was an enjoyable experience and plan on going again. Not usre if I can afford to (family of 5 is spendy) but would like to.

There is no support for this team, obviously 11,000 people in the heat of a pennant race. That is embarrassing. I think the issue is not necessarily the quality of the stadium or even that its located in St. Pete. The problem is... there is nothing AROUND the stadium... nothing... its lame, boring. Where are the vendors on the street while you walk to the park? Where are the restaurants and bars nearby getting people excited for the game while people are in there drinking and eating? Where is the fanfare and energy? Where are the buses dropping people off by the loads, making it more affordable and convenient for people?

The Rays need a new stadium... period. Not because its a bad stadium but because its location stinks since nothing is around it. They need to build a new one near a denser population in downtown. I think if they could build it across the street from Channelside it would be awesome. GO RAYS! Oh and I did my part supporting the team, all 3 kids have Rays shirts and were very excited to be wearing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay