U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:45 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,694,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Nobody's going to drive here from Orlando just to watch a baseball game, especially during the business week.
very true - I go to the Orlando Magic game once a season and stay over night in a hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 04:55 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,878,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
New York has what? 8 million people in its area - while ST Pete has less than a million. Not sure how one could expect the two cities to have the same attendance.

I was talking about the Rays only selling out when the Yankees are in town, and there is more Yankee hats than Rays hats.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:57 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,878,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
You could also add to this:

Almost zero public transportation to the Trop, unlike NYC

Nothing special around the Trop Except for maybe Ferg's

Major transplant populations loyal to their hometown teams

The Rays lack any sort of winning history, of any history for that matter, unlike the Yanks.

Many people don't like the Trop. (If they only got rid of those stupid catwalks)

I can't think of any more right now. These are all factors that contribute to poor attendance. But there still is no excuse for a team as good as the Rays to be playing in such an empty house. I wish I could afford to go to every game but I can't. The economy has hit my family hard.

Bingo. Red Sox and Yankees are very popular in FL and Tampa, obviously.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,156,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I have been to one Rays game, had a blast, it was a concert series when Train played. Only other field I have been was Safeco in Seattle. The problem with the Rays is that there is no other reason to visit the stadium other than to watch a game. There is no energy outside and around the ball park. There are no restaurants and bars across the street that cater into making it an all day event. The stadium is in an industrial part of town that has nothing aroudn it. Its booooooring around that stadium. Nobody lives around the stadium that can afford to go. The game we went to was a sold out game and it seemed dead outside..... strange.

Inside the stadium. Well, its really not that bad. I laughed at myself because I expected there to be cup holders at the seats. The halls are narrow and pretty crammed and the concession lines block those trying to walk in the narrow halls. The little midway place by homeplate entrance is great, kids loved it... as is the Ray Tank.

All in all it was an enjoyable experience and plan on going again. Not usre if I can afford to (family of 5 is spendy) but would like to.

There is no support for this team, obviously 11,000 people in the heat of a pennant race. That is embarrassing. I think the issue is not necessarily the quality of the stadium or even that its located in St. Pete. The problem is... there is nothing AROUND the stadium... nothing... its lame, boring. Where are the vendors on the street while you walk to the park? Where are the restaurants and bars nearby getting people excited for the game while people are in there drinking and eating? Where is the fanfare and energy? Where are the buses dropping people off by the loads, making it more affordable and convenient for people?

The Rays need a new stadium... period. Not because its a bad stadium but because its location stinks since nothing is around it. They need to build a new one near a denser population in downtown. I think if they could build it across the street from Channelside it would be awesome. GO RAYS! Oh and I did my part supporting the team, all 3 kids have Rays shirts and were very excited to be wearing them.
As far as restaurants/bars, there is Ferg's on Central Ave, and that's it. When I went last saturday, (a sold out game) we got their about 2 hours early, and Ferg's was PACKED. Way past maximum capacity. I don't know how we even ended up getting food. There needs to be more options. But no one is going to invest in building more restaurants or bars with such low attendance at the games. And the attendance will not get better if no one is going to invest into building more restaurants and bars. We seem to be caught in a catch 22 of sorts. Btw, even though you just recently moved here, thanks for becoming a Rays fan an supporting the team

Old 09-02-2010, 01:14 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,694,917 times
there are a lot of restaurants at the Vinoy district with a free trolley shuttle to the Trop's doorstep - people just don't take the time to visit downtown St Pete when going to games.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:17 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,181,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
We seem to be caught in a catch 22 of sorts. Btw, even though you just recently moved here, thanks for becoming a Rays fan an supporting the team
Absolutely. It is nice to be back in a town that has a team and frankly, I don't understand how you can move to a new town and NOT be a fan of your local team, but if a team that is out of state. I just don't get it. I understand loyalty, history and all that but people should support their local team. If this keeps up all these Yankee fans will never see their beloved team play in Tampa Bay because they won;t have a team to play against here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
there are a lot of restaurants at the Vinoy district with a free trolley shuttle to the Trop's doorstep - people just don't take the time to visit downtown St Pete when going to games.
Thanks for the info. I would like to check his area out. Where is the Vinoy district?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,439,815 times
The Vinoy area is along Beach Drive north of Central and 2nd Avenue NE/The Pier. It's right along the water by the museums and banyan trees. Very nice.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:11 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,336,780 times
Yankee at <3 but Rays fan all the way. (just trying to add some light humor)

Old 09-03-2010, 07:19 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,156,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Absolutely. It is nice to be back in a town that has a team and frankly, I don't understand how you can move to a new town and NOT be a fan of your local team, but if a team that is out of state. I just don't get it. I understand loyalty, history and all that but people should support their local team. If this keeps up all these Yankee fans will never see their beloved team play in Tampa Bay because they won;t have a team to play against here.
My parents managed to do that. My father was raised in New Hampshire and still roots for Boston teams AFTER Tampa Bay's teams. My mother is from Michigan, and she also roots for Tampa Bay.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:19 AM

144 posts, read 314,224 times
We visited the area (July 29 to August 6). I am a true Yankee fan but due to scheduling problems unable to get to any of the three games that they played at the Trop (all sell out). I did get to the Rays/Twins game the following night. I was amazed at all the empty seats. It was a great game, the Rays won. I didn't find a thing wrong with the Trop and still can't understand why anyone would want to tear it down. The food at the game was good. The place was clean and it even had a smoking area outside the food court. If we relocate to the area and if the Rays are still in town I will probably get season tickets but if and when the Yanks come into town I'll be wearing my pinstripe shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay