Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,330,602 times

Advertisements

Noticed in the news yesterday, they've returned her to jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 01:39 PM

Study: Girls more likely to text, call while driving | TBO.com

Old 03-28-2012, 03:11 PM

4,994 posts, read 7,190,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
3 years in jail is a harsh sentence for any crime, especially an unintentional crime. At least it is in the majority culture, where jail is a major social taboo.
"Majority culture"-is that your code for something? Just say what you mean without all the nudge nudge wink wink nonsense.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
3 years in jail is a harsh sentence for any crime, especially an unintentional crime. At least it is in the majority culture, where jail is a major social taboo.
How is that a harsh sentence. How would you feel if that was your family member?

He robbed this man of many years of life, he will be out of jail and still be a very young man.

Unintentional? He drove drunk on the wrong side of the road.

He made a decision to do that.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 PM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
Just wondering here, if making it easier to get a liquor license, and opening up more small neighborhood bars, would that help?

Let's face it, most of our cities are still car-oriented, not pedestrian-oriented, and there's areas of cities where you have to drive miles go to a bar.

In the old days, you rode home, perhaps inebriated, on a horse, which has more of a mind than a car motor! Or, you merely stumbled home from a neighborhood bar.

These master-planned gated communities need to shape up, put a bar inside their gates for its residents, it would certainly be of help!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
This guy fled the scene... what a total coward! and took a life!
A total coward? IMO, he was reacting in a human fashion! Self-preservation is merely being human!

If any of us were facing a potential life sentence, which option would you choose?

"I did it! I did it! I've always wanted to spend the rest of my life in prison!"

Old 03-29-2012, 11:48 PM

451 posts, read 931,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Just wondering here, if making it easier to get a liquor license, and opening up more small neighborhood bars, would that help?
To qualify my opinion, I've lost two immediate family members (a brother and a grandfather) in two separate drunk driving accidents where they were the sober victims. For the last 13 years, I've made it a purpose to live in neighborhoods where if I wanted to drink, I could safely walk home. I lived in Chicago for 8 years without a car. Now I live in Hyde Park, just 4 o4 5 blocks away from SoHo and a few away from the Hyde Park restaurants/bars.

Adjusting liquor licensing or providing more immediate drinking opportunities will change nothing. People will still think the law doesn't apply to them, that they can make it through without getting caught, or they're the one special guy/girl that can drive without being inhibited by the alcohol they've consumed.

If you enjoy drinking and want to do so responsibly, live in a place where you can access the scene you enjoy by foot. That's what I've done here and elsewhere for a good 13 years. The city doesn't need to grant more liquor licenses to keep drinkers closer to home. The culture as a whole needs to change. I'm self-aware enough to know that this will never happen. But providing more opportunities to drink won't be a positive change.

Today, there are still people out there convincing themselves that they can drink and drive and they've got some special ability to remain in control. These are precisely the people you'll be reading about in the news in the months to come. I don't mean to sound morbid, but I hope they will be the ones sustaining injuries, not the innocent victims they hit.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 AM

Now your family members could have been killed by other dangerous wolves on the road, lots of them out there!

It could have been me, stone sober, and a daydreamer behind the wheel of a car. Increasingly I read of accidents with the Medical Episode diagnosis, stone sober. I read of "mysterious" accidents in the Las Vegas valley, increasingly, of elderly drivers. An 82YO woman last year, confused, took the exit ramp for the entrance ramp, collided head on with 2 motorcyclists, killing them both! Sober, once again!

Then there's cellphone/texting drivers, .00 blood alcohol level. And, not lastly, as it's been proven sleep-deprived drivers are as dangerous as drunk drivers on the road. Sober, again, driving on 2 hours sleep, bang!

You took your cat or dog along with you, you got distracted, bang!

I realize the dangers of drunk drivers on the road, but there's way too much tunnel-vision with this class of people as the most dangerous wolves on our highways, and perhaps they are!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:50 AM

A Hillsborough County sheriff's deputy escaped serious injury after his patrol car was struck by a suspected drunken driver early Sunday morning. The collision trapped the deputy in his car, but other deputies were able to pull him out before both vehicles caught fire.

The suspect, Angel R. Pena, 42, 2324 W. Knollwood Place, Tampa, was charged with driving under the influence with property damage and refusing to submit to blood-alcohol testing.

Deputies said that Pena was driving a 2001 Ford Excursion without the headlights on east on Bearss Avenue in the westbound lanes near the Jimmy B. Keel Library at 1 a.m. Sunday when the Ford struck the marked patrol car, nearly head-on, driven by Deputy Juan Lazu.

"Deputy Lazu did not see the Ford Excursion approaching until just prior to impact," said sheriff's spokesman Larry McKinnon. The impact sent the patrol car spinning and it came to rest 45 feet from where the vehicles collided.

The deputy was trapped, but Lazu was able to call for help on his radio.

"Additional deputies quickly responded to the scene and were able to pull Deputy Lazu from his vehicle moments before both vehicles exploded and consumed by fire," McKinnon said.

Lazu, who was on routine patrol, suffered minor injuries from the crash and was taken to Florida Hospital Tampa on Fletcher Avenue and is expected to recovery and return to duty, McKinnon said.

Pena, McKinnon said, had a very strong odor of alcohol at the time of the crash and was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital, complaining of injury. He was medically cleared and released and subsequently arrested and booked into the Hillsborough County jail.

Lazu, 47, is assigned to District 1, and is a 10-year veteran of the department.

Police: Wrongway, drunken driver hits Hillsborough deputy | TBO.com

Old 04-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Man gets 10 years for 10th DUI conviction | TBO.com

TAMPA --

James Vernon Smith Jr. says he's not your typical drunk.

And typical, he is not.

The 48-year-old former underwater welder who lives in Louisiana but has family in the Tampa area was handed his 10th drunken-driving conviction Thursday in Hillsborough Circuit Court.

He was sentenced to 10 years in prison despite an emotional plea by the father of two young daughters. Smith said he was ashamed and sorry for his actions, and he cried and paused often while reading a handwritten letter in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay