Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:52 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingmomintampa View Post
Independent Day School is a bit more affordable than a lot of the other schools (at about $11k) and it is amazing! We are going to cut coupons and eat spaghetti to afford sending our 2 children there!
Since there is no sarcastic emotion I would take it at face value..

Wow, what a dedication! No bragging but I can teach (or supplement) my kid who is in public school as good as the private ones. Private schools won't do a squat if you don't help the kids.

The kids would probably need the nutritious food that you are cutting corner to send them to the "great" private school. Just saying .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 06:35 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearcherMom View Post
H He is currently in an excellent Catholic school in Illinois, so I wanted to ensure that we were in a great school district. In my research thus far, I have not found a Catholic school that is convenient to this area.
There is a Catholic Church and School on Hillsborough at Webb near Sheldon Rd called Incarnation. It is about 10 minutes from Westchase.. once you are on Sheldon.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 9,127 times
We are considering a move from Upstate NY (it's negative 9 degrees right now) to the Westchase area. Since these posts back in Aug/Sept, do any of you have any additional insight? (Schools, recommended communities within Westchase, estimated moving costs)? We have heard good things about The Fords (walking distance to "stuff") and are looking for prices in the $275K-$325K range. Have two little boys (ages 3 & 6) so a neighborhood with young families would be great.

Meeting with a realtor this weekend...very exciting stuff.

Thanks!!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:02 AM

10 posts, read 33,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Since there is no sarcastic emotion I would take it at face value..

Wow, what a dedication! No bragging but I can teach (or supplement) my kid who is in public school as good as the private ones. Private schools won't do a squat if you don't help the kids.

The kids would probably need the nutritious food that you are cutting corner to send them to the "great" private school. Just saying .
Well we have since changed our minds - ran the numbers over and over and over again and but we are going to go public and if things change, we can send them private. We have decided on Odessa (Hammond, Mckitrick and Steinbrenner) - I had visited IDS and talked to so many people who loved it, but after all the number crunching just realized we were going to set ourselves up for finanicial trouble.
I do agree with being involved with the kids - we are very involved.
OH and come on kids can live on cheerios and spaghetti !
Being new to the state my opinion has changed a million times about where to live, schools, etc. I had been so set on one thing, then another, and then another. But after research and a lot of thinking, we have decided on public after all! We are putting a contract on a FSBO in Odessa that fits our needs very well and I just pray it appraises!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,762 times
Public will do just fine. I graduated from public school, got in 4 year university, graduated that and got good job offer last spring while still in school. I think your kids can do just as good with public schools as with private, if THEY want to do good.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:20 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
Public will do just fine. I graduated from public school, got in 4 year university, graduated that and got good job offer last spring while still in school. I think your kids can do just as good with public schools as with private, if THEY want to do good.
WELL not good.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:49 PM

463 posts, read 1,052,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
WELL not good.
Sorry, English is my second language

Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
Personally, I would NOT put my kids in public here, even in Westchase. I dont know about the elementary school, but Westchase middle schools and high schools are horrendous, as I hear they are across the city. My daughter came from a private school up north, and to her the public middle school here was about 3-4 years behind what she was learning at her old private school. Whomever said to supplement their education?? Huh? That is ridiculous if the education is so lacking. After a couple weeks she went back to private and felt much more challenged and like she was actually learning something. The curriculum here is far behind.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 26,366 times
Anyone that was moving to Westchase...settled yet? We are looking at Westchase too. I'm impressed with the schools on paper and what I have found on the area too. But, would love to hear from someone that has taken the plunge and get their feedback. Thanks!!

Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM

35 posts, read 93,590 times
We will be moving to the area this summer. We looked at Westchase and liked it but really wanted a new/newer home. Schools were our top priority and we found both in Lutz. We will be in a new home in Stonebrier and think we will be happy there. The elementary school is McKitrick and from what I've researched and heard it is one of the best in the area (I'm an educator and very picky so when I say researched, I mean REALLY researched lol). It is a little remote feeling but only 5 minutes to Dale Mabry and 10 minutes to a new Super Target. There seemed to be a lot of kids there as well. We walked the streets and talked to many of the people already living there. Of those families that we talked to, three of them had moved to Stonebrier from Westchase b/c of the schools (meaning all three - elementary, middle, high). Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay