Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 AM

265 posts, read 972,612 times

Advertisements

I hate to say it, but grass fed beef sucks. Granted I eat beef for succulent flavor and I dont view it as a health food. Beef with no fat as you typically see in grass fed is not only flavorless, its also exceedingly tough. As I see it if your willing to pay premium dollars for grass fed, why not simply buy USDA Choice or Prime beef? If your uncomfortable with processed beef like the ground beef you purchased, why not hire a private processor? Buying whole loins or quater/half/whole steers saves you considerably and you can either butcher as you see fit or hire someone to do it to your specifications.

Not all beef is created equal, and buying a dairy cow who's been slaughtered for beef is a monumental calamity. I tried buying a half cow from a local "grass fed" beef guy last year. It was the worst beef I've encountered in my life. I now buy whole cuts of Choice or Prime in cryopacs and have the butcher cut them to my specs. Some places like BJ's or Sam's will do this free of charge...

Also, dont be foolish... just because a cow ate grass and wasnt hormone injected... it doesnt mean the grass wasnt treated with Herbicides and Pesticides that your cattle ate..

Just food for thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM

26 posts, read 91,690 times
After looking at all of the The Dam Ranch may be the best way to go. I am telling you I don;t think I can make 5 other people perfectly happy and have enough of what they want and nothing left over. They do Grass feed and finish on grash and like mentioned sell smaller portions. Then everyone can get it at the rate they want to.

I never knew there were so many options - thanks to everyone who responded!!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 05:24 PM

26 posts, read 91,690 times
wiltznucs
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
I hate to say it, but grass fed beef sucks..... is not only flavorless, its also exceedingly tough.
Well, I have never actually tasted it but what I have read is you need to be able to buy the right bred of cattle, the ones that are more able to produce good quality beef on grass. While I don't personally know, I am reading that Black Angus and Kobe is very good. Do you know what breed you ate?

Quote:
As I see it if your willing to pay premium dollars for grass fed, why not simply buy USDA Choice or Prime beef? If your uncomfortable with processed beef like the ground beef you purchased, why not hire a private processor? Buying whole loins or quater/half/whole steers saves you considerably and you can either butcher as you see fit or hire someone to do it to your specifications.
That is a a great idea. Ground beef could actually be 100% beef, no slime or ammonia. But as long as I am going healthy, I want to eliminate the growth hormones and antibiotics too. Did you know that 20% of 8 year old girls are now beginning puberty? Yup, it's all the hormone laced meat we eat, pretty sure.

Quote:
Not all beef is created equal, and buying a dairy cow who's been slaughtered for beef is a monumental calamity. I tried buying a half cow from a local "grass fed" beef guy last year. It was the worst beef I've encountered in my life.
Any chance they passed off an old cow or something to you? I know less than you, but I am hoping to go into this wisely. I'll be checking reputations and reviews before spending any money. You bring up an important point, we need to know what we are getting into.

Quote:
I now buy whole cuts of Choice or Prime in cryopacs and have the butcher cut them to my specs. Some places like BJ's or Sam's will do this free of charge...
That would work if my goal was premium quality without eliminating the chemicals.

Quote:
Also, dont be foolish... just because a cow ate grass and wasnt hormone injected... it doesnt mean the grass wasnt treated with Herbicides and Pesticides that your cattle ate..

Just food for thought...
Definitely something I plan to personally check out. Most sellers post whether they use it or not. A look around at supplies when I tour, should help confirm that.

Excellent points, thanks for the warnings.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:11 PM

26,982 posts, read 43,527,133 times
Quote:
I hate to say it, but grass fed beef sucks. Granted I eat beef for succulent flavor and I dont view it as a health food. Beef with no fat as you typically see in grass fed is not only flavorless, its also exceedingly tough.
Grass Fed Beef sucks when it's prepared incorrectly. Because it's leaner, you can't cook the bejezuz out of it and expect it to be tender. In terms of cooking a Grass Fed Beef steak, you should sear it on very high temperature on each side for a couple of minutes and then move it to lower more indirect heat for the remaining time if required. I have encountered time and time again where people who like their meat cooked well done have cooked it on high until it's rubber, and dismissed the whole grass-fed concept as a result. Bison meat for those who have tried it, is similar to Grass Fed Beef and requires the same cooking method.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,063 times
Thumbs up Where to find grass-fed food

To find local and regional suppliers of food from pasture-raised animals, go to [url=http://www.eatwild.com]Eat Wild[/url] Out non-profit site has a state-by-state listing of farms, retail stores, restaurants, food buying co-ops, and farmers markets that feature grass-fed beef, lamb, bison, poultry, pigs, and eggs from pasture-raised chicken.

I'm bemused by the earlier post and its negative attitude toward grass-fed meat. As the founder of eatwild, I have tasted grass-fed beef from hundreds of farms and conducted two national taste tests. I've eaten grass-fed beef that is so tender and luscious, you can't believe it. Do all farms have superb meat? No, they don't. It's a science and an art. Before you buy large quantities from a rancher, buy a few steaks and judge for yourself.

As for standards, the ranchers on eatwild must satisfy a strict set of criteria that covers the way they treat their animals, what they are fed, and their care of the land.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,144 times
You can't make a blanket statement like "grass fed beef sucks."
No, it actually doesn't. When you see how unhealthy eating "Feed lot cattle" is, you wouldn't say that.
Do your research, see why grass fed is lower in calories and high in omega-3.
We all have a choice. Make the right one.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,227,372 times
you realize this post is from 2010 right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay