Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 AM

112 posts, read 244,110 times

Advertisements

Are any of you asthmatic, or have asthmatic children and have relocated to the Tampa area? How has the weather affected you or your children's asthma? I know that people have different triggers, and I am concerned of my daughter's health with our move to the area. Her main trigger is her allergies, and really cold weather (and we live in upstate New York- need I say more?). I'm just wondering how some of you have adapted to the climate. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:06 AM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times
I lived in Rochester for 17years of my life all with Asthma and It never really hit me till I moved down here.
Consider that heat increases ozone, nitrogen oxide and other pollutants. It also boosts the amount of mold in the air, all of which can trigger asthma attacks

Read more: Hot, humid air thought to trigger asthma attacks

Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
I've had bronchial asthma most of my life. It's much better now that I'm (ahem) 50-something. When we moved from East Tennessee to Tampa in the early 80's, I immediately began breathing better due to the humidity. My ET doctors all said I should move to a dryer climate (Arizona), but when I found our doctor here, he said not. I guess it's based on the individual (DNA, Chemistry, who knows?). I also have allergies to mold, pollen and various grasses which I have to medicate in the spring and fall. My 33 year old daughter is also asthmatic as is my 6 year old grandson. There are more threads you can read about asthma here on the Tampa section of City-Data...just click the search box and type in the word.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.UpstateNY View Post
Are any of you asthmatic, or have asthmatic children and have relocated to the Tampa area? How has the weather affected you or your children's asthma? I know that people have different triggers, and I am concerned of my daughter's health with our move to the area. Her main trigger is her allergies, and really cold weather (and we live in upstate New York- need I say more?). I'm just wondering how some of you have adapted to the climate. Thanks!
Allergies will vary from locale to locale so it's hard to say. Conventional wisdom for relocation of those with seasonal allergy is that it takes a year or two to develop the new allergies in the new locale. Besides moving every year or two there's not much you can do on that front. If cold, dry air is her main asthmatic trigger she'll obviously be much better off in Tampa than Upstate NY.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:24 PM

26 posts, read 91,859 times
If you move here, You'll want this to be your new allergist. Make an appointment right away becuase there is a long wait for new patients (2 months at worst) - But their is a reason why - everyone knows he is the best.

Halsey Alan B. M.D.: Partners In Allergy & Asthma Care
3658 Lithia Pinecrest Road,
Valrico, FL 33596-6305

(813) 681-6537

Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,627 times
I have asthma and I it is triggered by the cold for me. But Florida does exacerbate my sinuses tremendously. I don't think this is the go to spot for anyone suffering from asthma, chronic sinusitis, allergies. I have lived in California and Illinois and Florida has caused me many ailments due to the humidity and weather here. Something to consider. Anytime you need to have the contact info of a new ENT MD or allergist prior to moving that is not a good way to start. I am trying to relocate because it has really affected my sinuses.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:28 PM

25 posts, read 58,924 times
We also moved from Upstate NY to Tampa in late June. My teenage daughter has cough variant asthma which was also triggered by cold air and the constant stream of viruses that you're subjected to in closed up schools and houses for 8 months of the year. She has allergies, but I hate to say I don't know exactly to what, but she had been good since we got here. She went out for a short run this AM and had to stop because she was getting tight - but she did that in NY as well. Not thinking that humidity really an issue, but I do feel that she'll probably be at her best when it drops a tough. The warmer moister air has seemed to be good - not a cold or cough since we've been here.........and she would always get a nasty summer cold with asthma exacerbation up north. On the whole, I haven't heard her cough once since we moved, so I'm optimistic! School starts next week, so we'll see once she starts getting exposed to everything more. Good luck - we love it here!

Old 02-16-2012, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,418 times
@rangersfan, I am in a similar situation with my daughter having cough variant asthma and contemplating to move to tampa. Could you possibly give an update on what your experience has been since you last posted your experience

Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshopsalot View Post
If you move here, You'll want this to be your new allergist. Make an appointment right away becuase there is a long wait for new patients (2 months at worst) - But their is a reason why - everyone knows he is the best.

Halsey Alan B. M.D.: Partners In Allergy & Asthma Care
3658 Lithia Pinecrest Road,
Valrico, FL 33596-6305

(813) 681-6537
I have been going to see Dr. Kalik in the same office. He is wonderful. I did not have a 2 month wait though. My asthma is worse down here (from NJ). My daughter had hers get worse at first, but hasn't really had problems lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: