U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 01:53 PM

5 posts, read 11,005 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating to Tampa next year. We are both lawyers and will likely be working downtown. South Tampa looks like a great fit for us in that it is close enough to downtown and it seems like a nice area to raise our kid that is on the way. I see some new "subdivision" style developments in our price range (400k) near the Air Force Base. This is probably a stupid question but is it constant noise down there? I would appreciate some feedback on the South Tampa area as we would really like a newer house w/pool, etc. without being too far from downtown. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 05:48 PM

877 posts, read 1,698,297 times
Which subdivisions are you looking at? Because there is a new development near the air force base, I think it is Port Tampa, that isn't zoned for good schools.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:28 PM

504 posts, read 660,792 times
South Tampa is a great choice for convenience. The new developments are nice but you may want to consider school districts. Plant HS is A rated as are most of its feeder schools. That area is south of Kennedy and north of Gandy. There are some new homes available in the area as some of the "mass producer" builders will now build on a vacant lot (i.e. David Weekly, Inland Homes, Mobley, etc...). Good luck !

Old 08-19-2010, 07:28 PM

5 posts, read 11,005 times
I am not familiar enough with each development to know them by name. All I know is when I look at realtor.com and see a nice newish house it is real close to the airforce base. My question is what is it like that there? Are aircraft up and down all the time, is it noisy, is it safe? I get the impression all of "south tampa" is a pretty nice place to live?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:59 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,041,349 times
When we were looking at houses near macdill, it was kinda ghetto. It looked very run down.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 PM

South Tampa north of Gandy is very nice. Ballast Point in South Tampa (south of Gandy) is very nice. The rest of South Tampa south of Gandy is probably not what you are looking for. It is safe but pretty rundown and I know at least one of the new subdivisions is pretty isolated with no restaurants and not very good schools.

We lived south of gandy in South Tampa for a few months and the only time we really noticed the sound was during the air shows.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Here is a map showing the FCAT grades for south tampa and surrounding areas:

TBO Special Reports FCAT school grades by zip code

Old 08-20-2010, 05:11 PM

13,772 posts, read 35,140,476 times
I agree you want to look NOG (north of Gandy) or at Ballast point. You might want to check out Harbor Island or Channelside, both really close to downtown. There is also Davis Island.. right next to downtown. Hyde Park and SoHo are both great areas too.

SOG (south of Gandy) is a mixed bag area. Many low rent apts near the base and homes built in the 60s.

The only jet noise is if you live right on the bay and are sitting outside and that is from jets landing/takeoff from/to the airport. TPA has flight patterns over the bay.
They aren't really over houses normally.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 12,763 times
I'm moving to the Tampa area in July 2011. I'm going to be working for Total Quality Logistics. There located on Harbour Island. I'm a 31 yr. old single man, young professional. I just wanted some feedback or ideas on where the best place for me to live would be. It would be nice to stay 10 miles from work. I'm just going to be looking to rent an apartment for the time being. I just want a nice, safe place with some good sports bars & nightlife around. I'll be coming from Toledo,Oh. So I'm looking forward to the relocation. Thanks

Old 01-28-2011, 02:23 PM

463 posts, read 953,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus22 View Post
I'm moving to the Tampa area in July 2011. I'm going to be working for Total Quality Logistics. There located on Harbour Island. I'm a 31 yr. old single man, young professional. I just wanted some feedback or ideas on where the best place for me to live would be. It would be nice to stay 10 miles from work. I'm just going to be looking to rent an apartment for the time being. I just want a nice, safe place with some good sports bars & nightlife around. I'll be coming from Toledo,Oh. So I'm looking forward to the relocation. Thanks
Channelside, SOHO/Hyde park and south tampa between kenedy, gandy and east of dale marby. Those areas are where most "young professionals" are located. SOHO has quite a few bars/restaurants/pubs where people between 25 and 35 tend to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or