Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 07:21 PM

10 posts, read 34,244 times

Advertisements

Ok. No flames please. I want to take my boys to see the Rays play baseball. The problem is I'm fat. Really fat. How fat? I buy an extra coach seat when flying so as to ensure that no one next to me hates me for the 4.5 hour flight to LA. No, the armrest wouldn't go down if I were sitting there...just a few inches too much of me.

Yes, I know I should lose weight. But that's a different thread.

So, am I going to be able to squeeze into a stadium seat? Or go through the embarrassment of contacting the box office for "special seating?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 09:19 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,094 times
well, let's see....

1-there is handicapped seating....basically they can put folding chairs in certain places where regular stadium seats have open spaces next to them...usually on a concourse

2-there are restaurants where you can watch the game from tables.

3-The whitney bank club is pricy but that would work for you

4-there are a few places with standing areas...the TBT area (formerly "The Beach") is one....also, I think the deck in left center has standing room

5-there are no "fat seats" anywhere, or bleachers....however, a weekday game would not be crowded. If you sat in the upper deck out toward the outfield, you'd be able to sit on a step in the aisle next to the regular seats.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:01 PM

68 posts, read 258,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
well, let's see....

1-there is handicapped seating....basically they can put folding chairs in certain places where regular stadium seats have open spaces next to them...usually on a concourse

2-there are restaurants where you can watch the game from tables.

3-The whitney bank club is pricy but that would work for you

4-there are a few places with standing areas...the TBT area (formerly "The Beach") is one....also, I think the deck in left center has standing room

5-there are no "fat seats" anywhere, or bleachers....however, a weekday game would not be crowded. If you sat in the upper deck out toward the outfield, you'd be able to sit on a step in the aisle next to the regular seats.
#1 is probably your best bet. Call the ticket office and explain your situation. You're not the first fat guy to go to a baseball game. They'll accommodate you.

#2 might work. The Batter's Eye restaurant in center field is a buffet. It's a little pricey, $30 I think, but has a great view. I've wanted to go there for a long time but I'm not much of a buffet guy.

#5, the ushers won't let you sit on the steps. They normally don't even let you stand there long unless you're waiting to get down a row. The usher in our section last week was very busy barking at kids that were on the steps.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:58 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Aren't the big dollar seats like recliners? The ones behind home plate.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 PM

68 posts, read 258,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Aren't the big dollar seats like recliners? The ones behind home plate.

I'm not sure if they're recliners, but when my wife checked last week they were $200 a seat

Old 08-22-2010, 07:45 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
there's the Beach area in the Left Field - I think you can stand up out there as well.

I'd recommend attending one of the games where attendance isn't going to be high- that way you can move around the stadium pretty much where you want - in the outfield, third deck areas -

definitely call the service department who'll help you.

BTW, you won't be able to squeeze and still be comfortable in the regular stadium seats.

Last edited by BucFan; 08-22-2010 at 08:03 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 08:07 PM

10 posts, read 34,244 times
Thanks everyone for the very helpful feedback. I now at least have a, er, gameplan, for getting my boys to see the Rays.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
the Rays might be the most fan-friendly organizations - this coming from someone who has gone to major league sports venues for 30+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay