Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 04:41 PM

169 posts, read 1,069,701 times

Advertisements

M_kayon,

I love Atlanta. It has something for everyone and if I could move anywhere in the US I think it would be Atlanta... can't move yet... one more year before it's even a possibility for me.

I think Tampa has a lot to offer young single people but I would have a hard time being single here - it just depends on what you're looking for in friends/significant other and past times. There are lots of younger singles in the more urban parts of town and there are a variety of different groups here to help you meet others (just lunch is here for example).

If I were 29 and single, I would go on line to one or many of the dating services and surf the "pickings" for the Tampa area and see if like the types of people that are posted there. Or even join and send them some questions on line to see what they say.

There's another post on this blog that was entered by a 30 YO single woman and one of the contributors gave a list of places one should consider for happy hours / hang outs. It seemed like the usual suspects - Channelside, Baywalk, Baystreet, Ybor, etc...

I don't think Atlanta holds a candle to the multicultural areas of Atlanta. As for Banking, you didn't say what area of Banking your in but I would recommend that you go into the City-Data stats on the various areas and sub-cities of Tampa and look at the volume of banks and deals.

More than what you'll do when you get here, what do you want to be doing in 5-10 years? What's the ultimate job for you? If it's heading up Raymond James or Franklyn Templeton, then come on down. If it's chair of the Federal Reserve Bd. then find a Fed. Reserve Bank (there's one in Dallas! - not sure about Atlanta but major credit unions are there!). I think it's more about the growth than the short term.

You'll find very friendly people here, you'll find laid back and you'll find plenty to do. Frankly, it's a good place to be young or old.

Cost of living calculator is here:

Also, I would recommend you look up someone that you admire (trade publication or news paper or even someone famous) in your profession - top of their game - call them and invite them to lunch and tell them you have a strategic life choice to make and you would like to get their insight. You'll make a friend, get some credible advice and who knows, maybe they'll make a call and get you an interview with someone. There are some nice advantages to being young.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by Jammie; 07-04-2007 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: link not allowed~CD competitor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 10:02 AM

14 posts, read 97,152 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you all for the great advice. What a gem this site is! =)

Old 07-16-2007, 02:34 PM

10 posts, read 26,355 times
I am from Texas and have lived here in Fl, Lithia and Palm Beach Gardens for two years now and love the beach. I lived in Dallas in 1997-1999 and lived in the M-streets a very hip place to live near the best restaurants etc. Sold my house for 178,000 in 1999 to an artist. Here I had to buy a house for 435,000 and yes cost of housing is more here. But if you can afford it come to Fl.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 13,697 times
Default Move to Dallas or Tampa

Hi,

I am familiar with both locations.

First I need to know your age. If you are young and career minded you might want to consider Dallas. The population is younger and geered to 30 something. The job market although a little tight will offer more opportunities. There are lots of lakes in which to boat and swim. I have lived in a small community between Dallas and Ft Worth called Arlington and Cedar Hill. We used to spend weekends on Joe Pool Lake. Dallas has the Rangers and the great Mavericks and as you know the Cowboys and the Stars. It has 6 Flags for thrills and Chills. Lots of great shopping and great places to eat. The weather gets cold in Winter and they do have ice storms when everything stops and folks are kepts off the roads. You will need to keep your winter clothes sweaters, fleases and jackets as it does get cold This summer they have experienced alot of rain and some serious tornado producing storms with golf ball size hail. Look for a place with an enclosed gararge or car port to protect your car from damage. My grandson is leaving Florida and minimum wage job to go to Dallas to a job with benefits starting at $14.00 per hr. It is not a dead end job and in 6 months he could be earning $30.00.

Tampa on the other hand offers alot of minmnim wage jobs. This is great especially if you are retired and looking to earn some extra money. Major budget cuts are in the Future for Tampa and for the whole state. State jobs will not be filled when someone leaves. If you have a job offer in Florida make sure you have everything in writing. It may not be there in 6 months. . I have seen people sell out up north and come down to Florida and there is no job waiting for them even tho they have a contract. Housing is the only bright spot. It is a buyers market. But be careful you could get a good price but pay double for insurance and taxes which has caused alot of people to go into foreclosure. Tampa does have the Lightening and the Devil Rays in St. Petersburg. We have the Tampa Bay Buc football team but the tickets to games are out of reach of the average family. We have Bushe Gardens, Adventure Island the Aquarium and of course Disney located within traveling distance. It is little over 100 miles from the Gulf to Atlantic Ocean. This is a great place for retirees who come with large pensions. The social activities are geered to the retired folks. Check out meetup.com and craigslist.com to check things out for both cities.

Good Luck

Spring Hill Bill

Old 07-21-2007, 12:42 AM

33 posts, read 113,867 times
as a native floridian from Tampa, I vote TAMPA! We have some mid afternoon thunderstorms in the summer, but we are "the sunshine state' for a reason! Mostly sunny all the time, and we have one bad year of hurricanes and we get a bad rap. This is paradise and we will have an occasional hurricane, nothing to be scared away from. EVERY place has something! Ice storms, tornados, earthquakes, mudslides... we have hurricanes.

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-23-2007 at 09:29 PM..

Old 07-21-2007, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,601 times
Default Definitely Tampa

Hey! I feel like an authority on this one for sure. I lived in Tampa for 8 years, and now live in Dallas. Been here 3 years. My husband and I go to Tampa every year and stay a month. I would say Tampa by far! Dallas is nice enough - but even though it is a BIG city - there really is nothing to do. The scenery isn't all that great, and for most of the year it is ugly. At least in Tampa you can always go to the beach. Nothing better than that! The people in Dallas are polite enough - but if they aren't rednecks, then they are snooty rednecks trying to be city folk. (No offense). Tampa is full of all kinds of wonderful people, and there are more things to do than you could ever find in Dallas. The lakes aren't all that great in Dallas, and I wouldn't let me dog swim in any one of them. The humidity is the same in both places, and Dallas certainly does not have a dry heat. The weather is more consistently beautiful in Tampa than it is in Dallas.

The best example of this is that my husband was born and raised in Dallas. I only live here because I got married and he wanted to live near his children and grandchildren. Whenever I ask him about moving to Tampa, he says no way because it is just too busy in Tampa and there are too many people. This is how a man from Dallas views Tampa! That cracks me up, but shows how really small and restricted Dallas is, regardless of its population. Tampa offers variety, different cultures, and did I mention beautiful beaches????

Old 07-22-2007, 07:20 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,899 times
I believe different people are looking for different things. I am a Texan who wants to relocate to Florida.I love the beaches and the endless things to do anywhere in the state. Having said that, Texas is a beautiful state with some of the friendliest people you will find anywhere, it is hardly made up of rednecks and wanna be "city folk". Considering Houston and Dallas are much bigger cities then Tampa, it stands to reason that some of our city folk are literate, successful people who run businesses and have culture and class.The fact that anyone prefers one city or state over another is a personal preference. The area I live in is beautiful and way more affordable than Tampa. I would never discourage anyone from moving here and would encourage any Floridian who wasn't making it there to come here because you can own a house in a nice area for alot less.I have lived here all my life and fell in love with Florida and am ready for a change so I will relocate but
I still have Texas pride, something I don't see in alot of other states.
By the way, Florida also has no shortage of rednecks...at least I will feel at home.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:24 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAnjel View Post
I believe different people are looking for different things. I am a Texan who wants to relocate to Florida.I love the beaches and the endless things to do anywhere in the state. Having said that, Texas is a beautiful state with some of the friendliest people you will find anywhere, it is hardly made up of rednecks and wanna be "city folk". Considering Houston and Dallas are much bigger cities then Tampa, it stands to reason that some of our city folk are literate, successful people who run businesses and have culture and class.The fact that anyone prefers one city or state over another is a personal preference. The area I live in is beautiful and way more affordable than Tampa. I would never discourage anyone from moving here and would encourage any Floridian who wasn't making it there to come here because you can own a house in a nice area for alot less.I have lived here all my life and fell in love with Florida and am ready for a change so I will relocate but
I still have Texas pride, something I don't see in alot of other states.
By the way, Florida also has no shortage of rednecks...at least I will feel at home.
This is so true, skyangel - different people want different things. We say so over and over in different threads and posts here. People can ask questions about a place - but we can only try to be as objective as possible. What I love about a place, another may hate. Some of us like hot weather, some like cool. Some like beaches, some like mountains - and on and on - one size does not fit all.

And as in skyangel's post, one cannot generalize ANY state, or even a whole city in a state - there is pro and con anywhere. I think it's good to ask questions and get opinions and do other research - but there is no substitute for visiting an area and spending as much time there as possible to get a true feel for it and see if the vibe fits.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:55 PM

9 posts, read 65,320 times
Default I Vote for Dallas!!

I live in Florida now but lived in the Dallas area from 1992-2004. I would vote for the Dallas move! Much more to do in the Dallas area, unless a beach is the most important thing to you. Housing has some variety in Dallas, unlike Florida. Shopping is incredible in Dallas area, wonderful restaurants, and a MUCH YOUNGER crowd. But, let's face it, each to their own.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:31 AM

9 posts, read 40,478 times
Wow, so many different views that contradict each other.

I'm not an authority so I have nothing really to say as I live in Buffalo and planning to move to Tampa area soon.

I was in the Austin area for 3 years (Army) and outside of the cities, Texas is very country...ranch land and such. From what I saw. It has a country southern cowboy feel but the people are fairly nice. Austin is an amazing city, I'd say go there if that was an option.

Florida just seems like the obvious choice to me. I don't have much more to add, some really nice comments on this site. I love it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay