U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:20 PM

25 posts, read 85,871 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We're relocating to Tampa via the military October 1st. We like to live outside the city, and was considering Valrico, and certain parts of Brandon. I've been going by the school ratings on www.greatschools.net so I realize some parts of Brandon have schools that I'd prefer my kids don't attend.

And as we're living in AK now, anything with a pool and warm will have my family happy.

Looking at Valrico, it looks like the commute to the base is 30 mins or so. But just realized we'd have to pay on the toll road to get there every day, and that's an extra $25 expense every week I wasn't thinking of.

So is Valrico worth it? Or is there another area North of the base that fits the same country feel that Valrico seems to have? Schools are of the absolute importance to us because I want my kids to be happy. We'd like a yard large enough for a pool and a trampoline and for the dogs to run...

We have been tossing around getting out after our tour there, so we're not just looking for OK. We're looking for something right.

Hope I covered everything you guys ask for when you say be more specific...

And instead of finding a rental on our own, is there any real estate agents that help find rentals anymore? And in this area (or the area you suggest?)

Thanks all! Looking forward to being Bucs fans!
Shawn in AK
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:40 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,428,897 times
You could have some good luck finding a house on ahrn.com - that's where we found our house. We're in brandon and I personally love it here. Its a little trafficky, but nice. My husband is military and he uses the toll road and it takes him about 25 mins to get to the base. Taking i4, it could easily be double that time, so the money spent is well worth it. Its 6 dollars a day for the tolls for us.

Unfortunately, i cant comment on the schools here because i'm only expecting our first, so I have absolutely no experience with the school system. We're in brandon, near valrico. Some people told us that brandon was the new "ghetto" but i have yet to see that, the neighborhoods here are very nice and the people are very great assets to the neighborhood.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the input! We've seen a few houses online in Valrico, but just wasn't sure... thanks again!
Shawn in AK

Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
5,199 posts, read 5,848,701 times
Valrico, specifically Bloomingale East, is a very nice area with great schools, an easy commute to MacDill via the Crosstown or an express bus, and lots of military folks.

RM

Old 08-29-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks! Does Bloomingdale East have a specific zip code.....

Shawn in AK

Old 08-30-2010, 03:42 PM

13,768 posts, read 36,563,095 times
We have a few realtors who post here that are very helpful. They have the house icon next to their name.

What about Riverview? Brandon's traffic is pretty bad and some of the neighborhoods have gone downhill over the years. Valrico is a nice area with older homes on bigger lots. Riverview has newer homes and there are military folks there too.

http://www.myfloridahomesmls.com/Sit...20County,%20FL

Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
5,199 posts, read 5,848,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsjjkelly View Post
Thanks! Does Bloomingdale East have a specific zip code.....

Shawn in AK
The "new" ZIP code that Bloomingdale falls under is 33596, but even after two years of it supposedly being official I still find places where it's not recognized.

Valrico used to be 33594, but they split the ZIP code in 2007 and it was supposed to be official in 2008.

RM

Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 PM

From what we could tell, Brandon looks too big. We think we found a rental in Valrico. It's an older home in Lithia something or other. I'm flying down in 2 weeks to take a look at it.

Thanks everyone!
Shawn in AK

Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,428,897 times
Brandon too big? This place is tiny for a "suburb"

Old 09-01-2010, 05:27 PM

We're coming from a city that has only 20k pop now... Brandon's in the 70k's?? Guess I'm just a small town at heart

Shawn in AK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay