Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 07:53 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,102,653 times

Advertisements

I know there are babysitter finding websites out there. Has anyone tried one of these and if so, how wast it?

I have 3 kids, 8, 6 and 4 and need to have a babysitter available for when we need/want one. We have always had close friends or family be babysitters when we lived in Alaska and really have no experience finding a babysitter outside of that. How do you do it? I have to admit, the thought of having a stranger babysit the kids is a little discomforting, but I think they're old enough now and I will have a hidden camera setup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 08:59 AM

707 posts, read 1,463,949 times
sittercity.com and care.com

Make sure the babysitter on these websites have a background check they are the only sites I am a member of and pretty much all of the babysitters Ive had have been good.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,102,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
sittercity.com and care.com

Make sure the babysitter on these websites have a background check they are the only sites I am a member of and pretty much all of the babysitters Ive had have been good.

Thanks, and happy belated birthday!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM

371 posts, read 1,188,421 times
Check out your local university and community colleges. You can usually find a college kid that wants to do babysitting since it's (usually) a night job and they can work in some studying after the kids are in bed. Student Unions or Student Centers should have some bulletin boards you can check out for "Job wanted" ads or put an ad there yourself. Maybe you'll find some early elementary education majors.

Also you might check the local Red Cross to see if they have a list of people who completed their Red Cross certified babysitters course and who want to find jobs.

Since you have a pool make sure you find someone that is lifesaving and CPR trained. Even if your kids know how to swim there's always a chance of an accident happening.

And last but not least, the key to keeping a good babysitter once you find one is to PAY WELL. Round up what you owe (ex: if you owe $27, pay her $30). And give a gift or bonus around the Holidays. You will find that your sitter is ALWAYS available for YOU when you need one. Oh, and it's really nice to have snacks on hand for your sitter or include enough for her in the dinner she will be serving your children. Many college students are living on a shoestring budget and sometimes food is at the bottom of the budget list. Be sure to indicate that she's welcome to the food. Many times a sitter wont want to touch something unless she's given the OK.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:46 PM

164 posts, read 459,707 times
can I hijack this thread a wee bit and ask how old babysitters are on average over there? What's acceptable?

Old 09-06-2010, 02:02 PM

707 posts, read 1,463,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsfromscotland View Post
can I hijack this thread a wee bit and ask how old babysitters are on average over there? What's acceptable?

I would say it depends on how old your kids are if they are babies/toddlers you might want lets say Seniors in Highschool (17-18) or College Students but anything elementary age I think 16 and over is good.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 AM

371 posts, read 1,188,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsfromscotland View Post
The Red Cross has a babysitting course for 11-15 year olds so you may find babysitters of that age. I've known many 13-15 yr olds that were very mature and responsible enough to watch children of all ages. If you do use a young sitter, make sure she/he is CPR and First AID trained.

I think many prefer at least High School or College/University age babysitters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay