Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 06:14 AM

57 posts, read 98,965 times

Advertisements

my daughter's designated school is HORRIFIC!!

We are moving to a beautiful house in Brandon this weekend and we are right across the boundary line from Mann middle (which is a great school!) and we are supposed to send our kids to Schmidt and Mcclane!! Mcclane is a 3 rating on greatschools.com and parents, students, EVEN teachers who work there are commenting on how awful it is!!

It's too late in the school year for choice lottery and magnet school lottery, while ongoing, could take all year for all I know!

We can't afford private and I am freaking out!! My daughter has been in a small christian school all of her life , earns excellent grades, and is quiet and obedient. I loathe the idea of her not being able to learn or, even worse, getting hurt.

What do I do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 06:35 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoey924 View Post
my daughter's designated school is HORRIFIC!!

We are moving to a beautiful house in Brandon this weekend and we are right across the boundary line from Mann middle (which is a great school!) and we are supposed to send our kids to Schmidt and Mcclane!! Mcclane is a 3 rating on greatschools.com and parents, students, EVEN teachers who work there are commenting on how awful it is!!

It's too late in the school year for choice lottery and magnet school lottery, while ongoing, could take all year for all I know!

We can't afford private and I am freaking out!! My daughter has been in a small christian school all of her life , earns excellent grades, and is quiet and obedient. I loathe the idea of her not being able to learn or, even worse, getting hurt.

What do I do??
You can contact the school board and challenge the school assignment. I would mention your unfamiliarity with the area since you just moved there, and were under the impression your child would be headed to Mann. I would not make a big deal out of the quality issue as I'm sure they get that a lot. You can reach the School Choice Information Line at 813-272-4692.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 AM

Thanks so much! I'm calling right now!!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:48 AM

They were no help. :-(
They said there is nothing they can do, I have to wait until choice lottery opens again in january, or look into private or charter schools.
I'm pretty sure the charters run by lottery too though. Ugh.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I know this sounds cavalier, but it's not a complete wash-out. You're obviously an involved parent, whereas most of the parents at this particular school are not, based upon test results and the school grade. A vast majority of teachers will teach students that want to learn, and having parents who show an interest. In my opinion the issue with the majority of public schools is that parents check out of their parenting responsibilities, and expect teachers and school administration to take over. I get so angry when I hear that public schools/teachers aren't doing their jobs. It all starts and ends at home.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:25 AM

62 posts, read 194,526 times
I went there 20 years ago and turned out okay . I understand it has gone downhill since then. I had a workmate with kids there recently and the experience wasn't horrible. I do think it has a lot to do with how involved you are as a parent.

Something else that may be worth checking into is the Florida Virtual School:

Online High School | Online Middle School | Grades K-12 | Florida Virtual School

Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I know this sounds cavalier, but it's not a complete wash-out. You're obviously an involved parent, whereas most of the parents at this particular school are not, based upon test results and the school grade. A vast majority of teachers will teach students that want to learn, and having parents who show an interest. In my opinion the issue with the majority of public schools is that parents check out of their parenting responsibilities, and expect teachers and school administration to take over. I get so angry when I hear that public schools/teachers aren't doing their jobs. It all starts and ends at home.
I completely agree. I was a miami, fl educator for 4 years and am now a school psychologist. I know how hard educators work despite lack of resources and parental involvement!

My issue is; I know what happens to kids who are eager to learn and they end up in an environment where the discipline problems get all of the attention and waylay instruction. They don't get the kind of instruction they deserve and often lose interest or worse. Secondly, I hear a lot of people complain about fights, and as a former middle school teacher, I believe this to be true! I don't want my daughter around that.

I appreciate the virtual school suggestions, but I honestly believe that keeping a child from a normal school environment is very detrimental to them. Kids need to have social interaction to develop and learn social skills, etc. Not to mention all of the extra-curriculars that my daughter wants to do!
I'm going to have to figure something out. Thanks for the input though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay