Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:04 AM

104 posts, read 224,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
Angie, I do think you are wrong in how you read my post. Especially since the next two paragraphs mentioned Florida specifically. I mentioned how I found an executive apt. in Virginia at one time so that you might find it useful to go that route in finding one in the Tampa area. The classifieds are typically in the local newspapers. Can you not get a Tampa newspaper at a DC/Virginia area Barnes and Noble bookstore? If they do not carry it you can request they get one for you. I've done it when we were searching various sites around the U.S. to relocate. Are you not able to find the Tampa newspapers online??? Are you not able to contact a realtor online? This forum is not the only source of information on the Tampa Bay area. Google gives some great results.

I do not know how short term rentals work in Florida as I've had no need to find out. I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that an Executive or Corporate rental is not the same as a regular apartment complex short term rental. Executive/Corporate are usually for a VERY short/limited time where a person needs a fully furnished/all included place while in town temporary. One part of a reply I gave to you stated that I had seen executive/corporate rentals listed that were along the bay area (Bayshore blvd. area) in South Tampa. So I know they are out there. I just did not have any info on current listings. And I will not go out of my way (now) to find any listings. I tried to help and you responded in a very snarky manner. Not a very gracious or grateful towards someone who was trying to help. Perhaps you'll have better luck getting others to find you your apartment with your specifics required.
It's Angi! Not Angie, but anywhoo.. but you are not really helping and here is why: We will be down there in less than two weeks. We are currently living in a hotel to transition. I am PANICING because I am moving 5+ states south with 3 kids and anyone in their right mind would be stressing right about now. So people in my situation need practical help, REAL help not maybe try this or maybe try that. Yes, I am in contact with a realitor for HOUSE BUYING but people come on here to find help from people who have 'been there done that got the tee shirt moved to Tampa'. I need help with the TRANSITION. Not, 'I've been here for 30 years I know all the areas I'll help you find a house.' Also, a realitor doesn't help find short term leases last I checked. She said my best bet is a hotel. You are the only one who is saying any different.

So, yes, the Bayshore area is EXPENSIVE as I replied earlier to kyle19125.

I was just fine with the hotel living until you came on here and said, maybe you should try, blah blah blah which isn't even a viable option and you are defending your position and calling me 'snarky.'

Here's snarky.. stay off the thread and let people really help me! I know you had good intentions, but it has turned the other way. No hard feelings but I can't be concentrating on things that are just not important right now. Imagine you have never been to an area before and you need specific help. You can understand "check the papers" isn't really realistic. Maybe once I get there I can do that, so thanks, I guess in advance.

Aggh I am freaking out!

OK everyone. No more short term stuff. I am just staying in a hotel!!! It will be so much less stressful to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:03 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
I've thought about this a bit. A short term furnished rental plus utilities for $1500 monthly won't work at this time. You see, October begins high season in Florida and rates go up and people will pay. You can look through the website for VRBO.com and see if there's something there, but again, anything worth looking at is going to be out of your range. Earlier in the thread I suggested Mainsail Suites and Marriott Executive. If they're not cost prohibitive, they're pretty nice for a few months.

The minimum lease term to avoid tourist tax is 7 months and most landlords prefer an annual lease.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Wish I had a better solution!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:42 PM

48 posts, read 189,584 times
Wow! A lot of anger. We just moved, and yes it was stressful, but that's not an excuse to be rude. I received a lot of helpful advice on this forum, and, yes, a few not so helpful suggestions. In both cases, I think it's only civil to say thanks. It's easy enough to ignore advice that is not helpful.

That said, my Realtor does help relocating folks to find relatively short term rentals. The vacation rental agency we have used for years does too.

As Cin said, very helpfully in my opinion, there are executive rental apartments all throughout the country. Some are bare bones and pretty depressing --- we stayed briefly in one of those when we were evacuated when our house flooded (stressful too, but all of our neighbors took it in stride). There are also upscale executive rentals, and it's really easy to find them all, complete with photos and reviews, on the Internet.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I've thought about this a bit. A short term furnished rental plus utilities for $1500 monthly won't work at this time. You see, October begins high season in Florida and rates go up and people will pay. You can look through the website for VRBO.com and see if there's something there, but again, anything worth looking at is going to be out of your range. Earlier in the thread I suggested Mainsail Suites and Marriott Executive. If they're not cost prohibitive, they're pretty nice for a few months.

The minimum lease term to avoid tourist tax is 7 months and most landlords prefer an annual lease.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Wish I had a better solution!
Thank you for the help.. This was the perfect advise!

I just checked, and they are both double the rate of the Extended Stay we are currently booked at, so we will keep our reservation there for now.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:40 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angirocks View Post
It's Angi! Not Angie, but anywhoo.. but you are not really helping and here is why: We will be down there in less than two weeks. We are currently living in a hotel to transition. I am PANICING because I am moving 5+ states south with 3 kids and anyone in their right mind would be stressing right about now. So people in my situation need practical help, REAL help not maybe try this or maybe try that. Yes, I am in contact with a realitor for HOUSE BUYING but people come on here to find help from people who have 'been there done that got the tee shirt moved to Tampa'. I need help with the TRANSITION. Not, 'I've been here for 30 years I know all the areas I'll help you find a house.' Also, a realitor doesn't help find short term leases last I checked. She said my best bet is a hotel. You are the only one who is saying any different.

So, yes, the Bayshore area is EXPENSIVE as I replied earlier to kyle19125.

I was just fine with the hotel living until you came on here and said, maybe you should try, blah blah blah which isn't even a viable option and you are defending your position and calling me 'snarky.'

Here's snarky.. stay off the thread and let people really help me! I know you had good intentions, Ybut it has turned the other way. No hard feelings but I can't be concentrating on things that are just not important right now. Imagine you have never been to an area before and you need specific help. You can understand "check the papers" isn't really realistic. Maybe once I get there I can do that, so thanks, I guess in advance.

Aggh I am freaking out!

OK everyone. No more short term stuff. I am just staying in a hotel!!! It will be so much less stressful to worry about.
Yes Angie, after this I will stay off of this thread. Because I do not desire to help someone with such a poor attitude. You're not the first person moving to Tampa on short notice. I have given advice and helped many people that have moved to Tampa even though I am not physically there myself yet. Why? Because I Love the Tampa Bay area and have spent a VERY long time doing my research on every aspect of moving there. I have spent many, many hours talking to realtors, current and past residents and have some very good friends who are from and who actually live in the area. I could have helped YOU with 'realistic information' had you been open to it, friendly and not so rude an individual.
If you're too lazy to look in a Tampa newspaper either online or in person, do a Google search to find an executive or corporate rental (which there are MANY, MANY listings for WEEKLY and MONTHLY exec. and corp. rentals in the Tampa Bay area), or find a decent realtor that knows what she's doing, then I suppose that is your problem and you can just stay in your hotel.
And by the way, you were'nt 'just fine' with your hotel until I came along. Someone before me mentioned a short term apt. rental and you were just hunky dory about looking into that. Now Bless you're heart and have a great move dear!

Old 09-19-2010, 08:01 PM

Oh my goodness.. "Angi" not Angie, bit OK. If you would read what TampaKaren wrote, that is what I consider "helpful" but regardless, as Profilewriter said, I should just ignore if advise was not helpful instead of letting you know. But I am only me, who doesn't matter in the big scheme of things so don't let me ruin your day if I am uncouth and tell you I don't think you're helping. I was just looking for more specific infomation and was hoping to keep the thread limited to that. But I guess I am just lazy, not busy.. with my 3 kids under 5. WHEEEE! A lot of people call me rude, blunt, the "B word," honest. I am a northerner and also I try to "keep it real" A lot of nicer people think badly of that, but at least I am not phony like so many others in this world you come across in life. Some of my best friends in life I didn't get along with at first, so what do you say Cin? Let's make up and when you move to Tampa, you come over for dinner one night and we can laugh about the old times on city-data. Seriously, I want no bad karma associated with Tampa and I'm sorry if I was hot-headed before and offended you. If it's any consolation, I did have my baby poo on me as I was writing it, so that may have excelerated the tone a little

Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,973 times
FYI, Dale Mabry around Carrollwood is a lot like Route 50 in Fairfax/Chantilly. Loads of traffic and the Tampa people love to complain about it. I don't live in Carrollwood, I am just letting you know what I've heard.

I would say that Westchase is more like Fairfax/Fair Oaks, and Carrollwood is more like North Arlington (but with more traffic).

If you are looking for Chantilly in Tampa, I would recommend New Tampa.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quota118 View Post
FYI, Dale Mabry around Carrollwood is a lot like Route 50 in Fairfax/Chantilly. Loads of traffic and the Tampa people love to complain about it. I don't live in Carrollwood, I am just letting you know what I've heard.

I would say that Westchase is more like Fairfax/Fair Oaks, and Carrollwood is more like North Arlington (but with more traffic).

Perfect! I can totally relate since I have lived in Fair Oaks and Chantilly.. (not so much North Arlington, except for work, YECH!).

Everyone is talking about "New Tampa." It is saying 57 minutes away from base on google maps.. is this the New Tampa everyone is referring to? We were thinking living no further than 45 minutes (Carrollwood), and even that is a stretch because I am thinking -30 minutes would be ideal.

So far, less than 30 minutes all I am finding in my search criteria is east Brandon.

Here is what I'm entering for a family of 5 and two cars:
3+ bed, 2+ bath
sq ft 1400+
screened pool, garage, fence, fireplace
300k max

I got 10 properties. Without limiting too much of what I have above, what can I do to get more results?

Logically I can say we don't need a fireplace.. then I get 41 properties, but maybe there are areas that I did not think of instead so I don't need to limit my search from what we want.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quota118 View Post

What is Brandon like on your NOVA comparison?

Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times
New Tampa is 33647 area code. Its about 40 minutes if you drive the speed limit. Most people dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay