Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:26 AM

65 posts, read 354,571 times

Advertisements

Johan1983, I think this guy is really working hard to work you over. It sounds like, at this point, if you haven't already started to research actual Florida rental laws, you might want to. You might find some helpful information at the link below. Or at least maybe some links to more pertinent information.

Florida HUD page about landlord-tenant laws

I agree with the others, this guy is trying to inflate the bill to get more commission, and you need to stomp on him like a roach.

Good luck with it all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 10:59 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Now while I mentioned that the 20% sounds a bit high you need to keep in mind that with a normal rental in St.Pete I think on average you will pay 1 months rent to the agent which works out to 8.33%

With short term leases, 1 month would work out to 33% if you were doing 3 month leases which would be way too high but being the agent does have to get it leased out 4 times in a one year period if you are doing 3 month terms they do have a bit of extra work over the 1 year lease and is why short term leases you will usually pay a little higher but not usually 20%.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:00 PM

269 posts, read 607,633 times
I sent him a angry mail and he agreed not to count the electric in the 20%.

Do anyone else here have simular experiences?

Old 09-18-2010, 12:56 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
the referral fee is supposed to be paid out of your Realtors commission that his company receives not over and above what you agreed to pay.

If he is a Property Manager then he would be getting his property management fee which is different from his commission on a rental.

Normal commission in my area for me would be 1 months rent or 10% of the yearly rental. You are doing only a short term which is just as much work as a long term one.

Whatever you signed in writing is what stands.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:00 AM

269 posts, read 607,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
the referral fee is supposed to be paid out of your Realtors commission that his company receives not over and above what you agreed to pay.

If he is a Property Manager then he would be getting his property management fee which is different from his commission on a rental.

Normal commission in my area for me would be 1 months rent or 10% of the yearly rental. You are doing only a short term which is just as much work as a long term one.

Whatever you signed in writing is what stands.
My guy wants 10% and a one month rent on a one year lease or even a 6 month lease.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:52 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
I've never seen anyone here charge both a 10% of the yearly rental.. and.. one month. Its usually either or. Is this person also managing the property or is it just a one time finding you a tenant fee?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:12 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
that is insane. You can drop this guy. I dropped a property manager before. My house in GA is in a military friendly neighborhood, and it was on the market for 4 months. I had two neighbors rent their houses, one in 2 weeks, one in 3 days. I dropped my property manager, went with the one they were using, they had my house rented in a week and a half.

You can rip up what you signed- until there is someone living in your house, then you are stuck with your property manager for the duration of the lease.

Really, you should drop this guy. MAYBE.... you should Direct Message FlaLadyB... I'm just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: