Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:15 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ever notice how excited and happy Americans are when they're on a witch hunt?

It all started in Salem, Massachusetts.

And who is going to be the next witch to hunt after the last smoker has stopped smoking?

Scarey idea, isn't it?
It's not so much a witch hunt, we know who the witches are.

It's about the rights of the massive majority of non-smokers who don't want to be subjected to your unhealthy habit. There have been no suggestions of banning smoking in your car, your home or outdoors (unless standing in front of a door or window). I have found most smokers exhibit some common courtesy and attempt to not infringe on others. It's the small minority of smokers who show no judgement whatsoever (or plain don't care) that create the animosity from nonsmokers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 05:33 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
With the growing bed bug problem in Florida, you might be itching to move back real soon.

| WTSP.com[/url]
Did you know you can kill bed bugs with the head of a lit cigarette!

(just trying to tie in your subject to the topic)

Old 09-17-2010, 09:27 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not so much a witch hunt, we know who the witches are.

It's about the rights of the massive majority of non-smokers who don't want to be subjected to your unhealthy habit. There have been no suggestions of banning smoking in your car, your home or outdoors (unless standing in front of a door or window). I have found most smokers exhibit some common courtesy and attempt to not infringe on others. It's the small minority of smokers who show no judgement whatsoever (or plain don't care) that create the animosity from nonsmokers.
Incorrect. The OP is that Mayor Bloomberg announces legislation that would ban smoking in Times Square, city parks and beaches - NYPOST.com, places which are outdoors.

This most certainly is indeed a witch-hunt. And after they get all the smokers, the straight and narrow just might start hunting gays. After all, why should the massive majority of heterosexuals have to be subjected to a small minority of gay marriages which by their very existence would infringe upon the rights of the straight majority to live in a strictly nonsmoking, nongay marrying world. Gay marriage pollutes smoke-free marriage, after all.

This isn't about the health of the majority. That is nothing but a smoke screen. This is about controlling the activities of others, taking away their rights and treating them as less than 100%human being. This is about setting precedence on what other rights might be taken away down the road. But we can't bother with any of that. There are witches to be burned.

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 09-17-2010 at 09:38 AM..

Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Incorrect. The OP is that Mayor Bloomberg announces legislation that would ban smoking in Times Square, city parks and beaches - NYPOST.com, places which are outdoors.

This most certainly is indeed a witch-hunt. And after they get all the smokers, the straight and narrow just might start hunting gays. After all, why should the massive majority of heterosexuals have to be subjected to a small minority of gay marriages which by their very existence would infringe upon the rights of the straight majority to live in a strictly nonsmoking, nongay marrying world. Gay marriage pollutes smoke-free marriage, after all.

This isn't about the health of the majority. That is nothing but a smoke screen. This is about controlling the activities of others, taking away their rights and treating them as less than 100%human being. This is about setting precedence on what other rights might be taken away down the road. But we can't bother with any of that. There are witches to be burned.

Spot on, wish I was able to rep ya.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post

This isn't about the health of the majority. That is nothing but a smoke screen. This is about controlling the activities of others, taking away their rights and treating them as less than 100%human being. But we can't bother with any of that. There are witches to be burned.
Sorry, I missed the OP's point.

However I think you're being a bit over-the-top dramatic. Your argument that gays are next is especially off target. The general population numbers of those who support gay marriage have increased over the past few years to the point where it's 50-50 currently, and swinging toward a majority as the old fart GOP dies off. It would be rather difficult to convince half the country that civil rights infringements of gays is acceptable. On the other hand a minor civil rights infringement (not a ban, but a restriction) against 30% of the population (which 70% of the population would endorse) is hardly rebellion-worthy.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:46 AM

PS...I'm gay.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:39 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ever notice how excited and happy Americans are when they're on a witch hunt?

It all started in Salem, Massachusetts.

And who is going to be the next witch to hunt after the last smoker has stopped smoking?

Scarey idea, isn't it?

Fat people. In fact, it has already started...........using some of the same arguments.

Fat people drain our already strained healthcare system.

Fat women have more difficult pregnancies and disabled children. We must make them lose weight FOR THE CHILDREN.

It will be OK to legislate against fat people.........after all, being fat is unhealthy and we will only go after them for their OWN GOOD.

If we tax them, fine them and vilify them, we will be HELPING THEM by making their lives difficult and therefore making it EASIER for them to commit to a healthier lifestyle.

When you see a fat person, give them that look of disgust........so they know society does not approve of their unhealthy lifestyle choice.

Yep, after the last smoker is gone, the health nannies will be able to focus their FULL ATTENTION on "helping" fat people.

I can't wait.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Maybe Florida hasn't initiated any laws about smoking in a car, but California did. It's a ticketable offense to smoke in a car when there's a minor present and some cities will ticket you if you ash out your window. Not flick out a cigarette, but simply ash it. Anti-smoking laws will never flat-out ban smoking at once, but they'll do it in little pieces so that people don't get wise.

Our current anti-smoking laws are almost ideal. I think it's a great idea that we don't allow smoking inside buses or malls or government buildings, but I think each restaurant and bar should be allowed to choose whether they want smoking or not. Since the law went into effect back in 2003, smokers have been relegated to either stepping outside or eating outside since the clean-air people claimed the indoors. Now that isn't enough and some want the outdoors as well, not to mention that some people want to ban it inside bars--bars that don't serve food at all. Since when have bars been family-friendly?

In short, I do not find it hard to believe that one day smoking could be banned inside cars, homes, or in public. I think Florida has very reasonable anti-smoking laws already in place and I'm okay with making a compromise and not being allowed to smoke inside a restaurant, but still being allowed to smoke in public or in bars. Some people have too much time on their hands and won't rest until the world thinks exactly like them, even though they only go after superficial and relatively minor problems.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Spot on, wish I was able to rep ya.
Thanx Kash, but I don't rep with married men (their wives can get so violent). But I just knew I was going to enjoy that spirit of Alaskan independence. If only more would migrate here. Oh wait, (in)famous Alaskans, hmmm, maybe better if we just pick and choose. Don't worry, we'll grandfather you in when we start taking away those freedom of movement rights.

By the way, on your earlier post, I'm not certain but I think FL laws prohibits smoking only in bars with a certain percentage of receipts from food service, which does not seem terribly unreasonable for bar owners.

Quote:
...Your argument that gays are next is especially off target.
Did you really think that was my argument or was I just applying apt analogy? So perhaps I was on target for my point but not on a point you wanted to make, which was not my point to target.

Quote:
I think you're being a bit over-the-top dramatic.
&
Quote:
PS...I'm gay.
And I'm being a bit over-the-top dramatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
...Fat women have more difficult pregnancies and disabled children. We must make them lose weight FOR THE CHILDREN....
Well played. Off topic but my favorite (I wore the button in the 70s) is "Nuke a gay whale for Christ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Maybe Florida hasn't initiated any laws about smoking in a car, but California did. It's a ticketable offense to smoke in a car when there's a minor present and some cities will ticket you if you ash out your window. Not flick out a cigarette, but simply ash it. Anti-smoking laws will never flat-out ban smoking at once, but they'll do it in little pieces so that people don't get wise.
I like most of what you said but I would add that I can understand not allowing smoking FOR THE CHILDREN lol in a car which is such a confined space and their lungs really are just developing so all together that's kind of understandable. What comes to my mind about that also is gun control and how many children have shot their Florida friends dead because their parents made killing so accessible. But I do not mean to derail the topic.

Driving a rag top whereby I'm always careful at red lights to not stop next to a smoker if I can avoid it, I also completely understand a law against ashing cigarettes out car windows. It may seem silly that I would worry about a spark creating 100s of dollars of damage to the roof of my car, but I would imagine those who worry about forest fires in highly combustible areas might have a better argument than mine.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:41 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Re: Fat people. In Japan, they're already doing it, measuring the waists of anyone over 40 (the corporation do it to their employees starting at age 30)
once a year, 33.5 inches for men, 35.5 inches for women.

After your waist has been measured, you haven't reduced your weight when you're measured the next year, you're forced into counseling and a fine is levied. Instituted by the Gov't of Japan.

What brought this about? The opening of too many Krispy Kreme donut shops in Japan, for one. The Japanese can't resist them. The President of Japan said he doesn't want the Japanese people looking like donuts some day.

I grew up in MN, windows closed a good part of the year, my Dad smoked 3 packs of Kools every day. Breathed in that air all thru my childhood and teen years. And I've smoked for 40+ years and my Dr., after a chest xray a year ago, was perplexed why my lungs are still so clear.

I've worked in LTC facilities. There's people who haven't been exposed to 2nd hand smoke, never smoked, and still died from lung cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay