Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:39 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times

Advertisements

I don't see the bad traffic here - and the aggressive driving isn't anywhere as bad as in Miami and other cities I've lived in.

Here, I've taken on a right lane, go the speed limit mentality. Let the rest of the drivers do what they want. There's safety in the right hand lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 01:04 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Why do you have the need to drive aggressively?
i dont know. i realize i do, and when i think about it, i slow down, but within 10 minutes i am driving quick again. changing lanes, racing through yellow lights. I ALWAYS use my turn signal, I NEVER give the finger or curse at people (out loud) but i will tailgate you if you are driving slow in the left lane, and I will do my best to be the first person at a red light.

Why do I do it? I dont know, it is ingrained in me from growing up in NY. my parents drive like that, my friends drive like that, everyone i grew up around and the communities i grew up in breed that kind of driving. I always ALWAYS feel like I am running late, even if I am not. dont believe me? drive on the long island expressway or the BQE (brooklyn-queesn expressway) people are doing 90 in a 55, passing on the shoulder, it is INSANE! to the person that says the northeast doesnt breed aggressive driving, spend some time in the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) and the Baltimore/DC area. you'll be singing a different tune then.

why do people smoke? why do people collect stamps? why do people have weird sexual fetishes? why do people post pictures of them stepping on and crushing kittens on the internet?

If you ask me... If aggressive driving is the worst of me, i am happy for myself and society.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:21 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
i dont know. i realize i do, and when i think about it, i slow down, but within 10 minutes i am driving quick again. changing lanes, racing through yellow lights. I ALWAYS use my turn signal, I NEVER give the finger or curse at people (out loud) but i will tailgate you if you are driving slow in the left lane, and I will do my best to be the first person at a red light.

Why do I do it? I dont know, it is ingrained in me from growing up in NY. my parents drive like that, my friends drive like that, everyone i grew up around and the communities i grew up in breed that kind of driving. I always ALWAYS feel like I am running late, even if I am not. dont believe me? drive on the long island expressway or the BQE (brooklyn-queesn expressway) people are doing 90 in a 55, passing on the shoulder, it is INSANE! to the person that says the northeast doesnt breed aggressive driving, spend some time in the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) and the Baltimore/DC area. you'll be singing a different tune then.

why do people smoke? why do people collect stamps? why do people have weird sexual fetishes? why do people post pictures of them stepping on and crushing kittens on the internet?

If you ask me... If aggressive driving is the worst of me, i am happy for myself and society.

Best not to ride on my butt or i will jam on my breaks, or once you try to pass i will give my Vette a 180mph burst and leave ya in the dust.

One thing i hate is morons riding my tail if i am doing the speed limit or going above. I have no problem letting someone go by if i am doing under the speed limit. Love having a car that is king of beast on the road for this very reason.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:59 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Best not to ride on my butt or i will jam on my breaks, or once you try to pass i will give my Vette a 180mph burst and leave ya in the dust.

One thing i hate is morons riding my tail if i am doing the speed limit or going above. I have no problem letting someone go by if i am doing under the speed limit. Love having a car that is king of beast on the road for this very reason.
If you are going to go slower than the flow of traffic, that's fine, but just don't do it in the left lane. For crying out loud, there are so many left-lane slow pokes in this state.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:14 PM

I stay in the rite.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:47 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post

Classic post. I love it.
I came here from L.A. and I can totally relate to the road-rage ingrained behavior depending on where you came from originally. LA was the same way--90mph on I-405 or you will be run off the road...even in the slow lane!
I totally agree with the poking-along-because-I-have-no-consideration-for-other-drivers in the fast lane knuckleheads out there. Left lanes are to pass only. Not sit in and cruise while everyone backs up behind you.
Tampa Bay has some TERRIBLE drivers.Most of them are not just the elderly, but the middle-aged soccer moms lighting up a Marlboro as they blast down I275, tailgating and changing lanes for no good reason. Then, they go from 85 to 55 while they field a cell phone call. People out here floor it through yellow lights because they have had to stop at the last 15 lights because no one in the city or county knows about stoplight timing out here...and they use those stupid pressure sensors in the roadway to change lights. At least in LA you could set your cruise control for 40mph and make it through every light from the 101 on Reseda Blvd. all the way up to Parthenia.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Classic post. I love it.
I came here from L.A. and I can totally relate to the road-rage ingrained behavior depending on where you came from originally. LA was the same way--90mph on I-405 or you will be run off the road...even in the slow lane!
I totally agree with the poking-along-because-I-have-no-consideration-for-other-drivers in the fast lane knuckleheads out there. Left lanes are to pass only. Not sit in and cruise while everyone backs up behind you.
Tampa Bay has some TERRIBLE drivers.Most of them are not just the elderly, but the middle-aged soccer moms lighting up a Marlboro as they blast down I275, tailgating and changing lanes for no good reason. Then, they go from 85 to 55 while they field a cell phone call. People out here floor it through yellow lights because they have had to stop at the last 15 lights because no one in the city or county knows about stoplight timing out here...and they use those stupid pressure sensors in the roadway to change lights. At least in LA you could set your cruise control for 40mph and make it through every light from the 101 on Reseda Blvd. all the way up to Parthenia.
You got that right about the crappy red light timing. Everyday i wrestle with 23 red lights and everyone stops me.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
That makes no sense at all. Why should you break the law because others are? Speed kills.

Quote:
The reason i have to drive like a mad man is thanks to people going well over the speed limit. I can be doing 10 over and still get passed like i am standing still. Glad i have a modded 500+HP C6 Vette and i can leave anyone in the dust if need be.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:38 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
My husband who works for Hillsborough County, is about to oversee the construction of a new traffic management center in Tampa - maybe things will improve then.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,519 times
Quote:

Because you are not a police officer, it is not your job to determine who is right or wrong or who is driving the speed limit, who is not. So you are probably better off just getting to right side of the road and letting people pass. If you are doing 180MPH and somone coming up behind you is doing 190 MPH, get out of his way in accordance with FL 316.081. Let the cop down the road pull him over for speeding. not your job to play traffic vigalante by impeding traffic, regardless of whether the person behind you is right or wrong.

Title XXIII Motor Vehicles Section 316.001 Short title.
316.081 Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions.

(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

(b) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided any person so doing shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;

(c) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon; or

(d) Upon a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.

(2) Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, no vehicle shall be driven to the left of the centerline of the roadway, except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under paragraph (1)(b). However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the centerline in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.
(4) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay