Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Now, I could list positive things, too. But you're asking for 5 things wrong with Tampa, so here are my gripes:

2) It is hard to make freinds or even find things to do sometimes. It's hard to develop freindships the way we're all spread out. And people here seem either flaky, pretentious, or just plain dangerous. There are some crazy people down here. I mean, if the crazy thing didn't happen here then the crazy a-hole that did it probably came here right after doing it. Florida is kind of weird.

This is the best thing I have heard today. not only is it hilarious, but it is SPOT ON!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 11:47 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
Florida vs Tampa or Hillsborough County are 2 different issues here. We are not discussing Florida, we are discussing Tampa, or Hills. Cty specifically.

When calling for auto insurance, they verify that Hills. Cty (Tampa) has some of the highest rates in the entire state due to the high number of accidents. As do mds who work here, have to see an abnormally high number of car accident patients.

Moderator cut: snip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I looked it up, Florida is not even in the top 10. The fatality rate for the last year the NHTSA has posted Florida was at 1.6 for every 100,000 miles driven. 11 states were higher and 6 others were the same with the national average at 1.4.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/10s1068.pdf

For just flat out most accidents the only lists I found did not have Florida in the top 10.

Florida also is the 25th highest car insurance rates according to insure.com

Car insurance rates - the most and least expensive states for car insurance

Are there any other issues you would like to post about that I can clear up for you?

Last edited by Keeper; 09-20-2010 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: argumenative

Old 09-20-2010, 12:18 PM

10 posts, read 75,944 times
Quote:
Now, I could list positive things, too. But you're asking for 5 things wrong with Tampa, so here are my gripes:

1) The place doesn't have much character. This is sprawl at its worst. I hope you like strip-malls.
2) It is hard to make freinds or even find things to do sometimes. It's hard to develop freindships the way we're all spread out. And people here seem either flaky, pretentious, or just plain dangerous. There are some crazy people down here. I mean, if the crazy thing didn't happen here then the crazy a-hole that did it probably came here right after doing it. Florida is kind of weird.
3) The diversity of available jobs is lacking as are opportunities for upward mobility. If you're starting out your career there are not a lot of tracks you can choose from here. You just take what you can get.
4) The state of Florida kind of sucks, once you get over the beach thing. In some cities, you can drive one direction and see mountains, another direction has water, or some other landscape, etc. Whatever it is, there is at least a change in topography. Most of Florida looks the same, and if you don't want to go the beaches near Tampa, you can drive a few hours and go to... a different beach. And there is nothing inland except Orlando and Disney. I like beaches, don't get me wrong... I'm just saying, once you're sun-burned you'll get bored fast.
5) Sports is the most important topic of conversation to be had here.

GOOD post.
What is your favorite place for living in US ?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:22 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:

1) The place doesn't have much character. This is sprawl at its worst. I hope you like strip-malls.
3) The diversity of available jobs is lacking as are opportunities for upward mobility. If you're starting out your career there are not a lot of tracks you can choose from here. You just take what you can get.
4) The state of Florida kind of sucks, once you get over the beach thing. In some cities, you can drive one direction and see mountains, another direction has water, or some other landscape, etc. Whatever it is, there is at least a change in topography. Most of Florida looks the same, and if you don't want to go the beaches near Tampa, you can drive a few hours and go to... a different beach. And there is nothing inland except Orlando and Disney. I like beaches, don't get me wrong... I'm just saying, once you're sun-burned you'll get bored fast.
5) Sports is the most important topic of conversation to be had here.
Very good observation. That's pretty accurate.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:31 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
I think the City of Tampa has a lot of character. It goes away as you approach the city limits and is gone by the time you hit the suburbs/unincorporated county. I think most cities are like that anyway.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:45 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I think the City of Tampa has a lot of character. It goes away as you approach the city limits and is gone by the time you hit the suburbs/unincorporated county. I think most cities are like that anyway.
I agree on both counts.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:32 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Agreed, sort of, depending on what what you're interested in. When I was younger, I would have been more on board with that statement, although I'm sure I would have liked St. Pete; now I am very happy outside Tampa (pinellas county).

I've lived in cities larger and smaller than here. I wonder sometimes if the complaints from some people are because they are having trouble adjusting to a more urban life in general, than the Tampa Bay area itself.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:30 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Mike.. Thanks for taking the time and effort to "LOOK IT UP" and advise the facts instead of wild misconceptions and opinions.

Quote:
I looked it up, Florida is not even in the top 10. The fatality rate for the last year the NHTSA has posted Florida was at 1.6 for every 100,000 miles driven. 11 states were higher and 6 others were the same with the national average at 1.4.

For just flat out most accidents the only lists I found did not have Florida in the top 10.

Are there any other issues you would like to post about that I can clear up for you?

Old 09-20-2010, 03:42 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times
Quote:

Thats weird Im under 25 and have never had an accident and my insurance in NY was $75.00 a month, but here its $150.00.....

Bad driving, bad walking
The fatality rate for pedestrians is higher than anything in tampa.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:44 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Thats weird Im under 25 and have never had an accident and my insurance in NY was $75.00 a month, but here its $150.00.....

Bad driving, bad walking
The fatality rate for pedestrians is higher than anything in tampa.
I believe hurricane threats have something to do with your rates, regardless of your driving history. Other things could be the number of uninsured drivers in the state. Rates are not solely based on your driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay