U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 05:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,591 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

In the upcomming months my family and I will be moving to Tampa. I will be working at the Macdill AFB and going to be looking for at least a 3br/2ba house to rent in the area. I have never been to Florida actually and looking for some help. We would like to stay out of the congested city as much as possible and have a decent sized yard for our 2 dogs. Can anyone suggest an outlying city that would be no longer than 45min commute?

Thanks again for your thoughts!

P.s. Forgot to add that my budget. 1000 - 1300 Max w/o utilities
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 AM

22,673 posts, read 33,640,363 times
Welcome to the area!

In terms of your search I would highly recommend you actually look in the city versus the outlying suburbs. Here in Florida the cities are not congested (with the exception of perhaps of Miami) and where one runs into traffic and congestion is via commute to the suburbs. The suburbs area also known for sprawl and lack of zoning restriction so one can move to a quiet area far out and within a year or two have a strip shopping center and gas station built near you and suddenly it's not quiet anymore.

You can find some really great rental houses in some nice neighborhoods in Tampa. I'm sending you a list of houses via direct mail. I 'd highly recommend checking them out and think you'll like not having to spend a lot of time commuting and the walkability factor (parks, sidewalks, etc.) as well as the dog-friendly vibe.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,217,381 times
rents here in the areas you're looking for are around $1800 and up, I don't know why? maybe desperate underwater homeowners unaware that salaries haven't gone up??.....you're looking at Odessa, Lutz...if you want 45 minute commute....you can go up further into Land O Lakes which looks depressing at best, to find cheaper rents, but commute from up there will increase considerably.....
Riverview is somewhat closer, but not all that nice, just white & beige box homes zero lot line...

That price range won't give you a big yard within 45 minutes unfortunately.

Like Kyle said, you'd be better off closer to the base and use parks, we have plenty of dog parks. Commute here sucks and when it rains it sucks even worst!

Old 09-19-2010, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,591 times
Thank you for your replys.. This makes good sense. Both of my dogs are inside anyways. As long as there is some doggy parks I think we should be fine. I am actually used to bad traffic. I dont think anything could Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads traffic. We have to deal with tunnels... its bad.

Anyways, so within Tampa are there specific neihborhoods to stay away from or better yet stay in? Schools are not really an issue. My wife is pregnant now with our first child that will be here around February. We are excited and looking forward to the move. This will be our first time actually moving out of Virginia so my wife is stressed about finding work.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:59 AM

4,560 posts, read 6,935,587 times
Around the Mcdill base there are areas to rent that are not that expensive. Have you checked with the Housing office at the base for their lists?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,309 posts, read 4,483,065 times
If you are looking for family-oriented areas with fellow military folks, either Bloomingdale East in Valrico or Westchase are good choices. The base housing office will point you at these as well, I'm sure.

As far as work, depending on what your wife does, she's probably going to have a tough time finding it. Unemployment here is still in the low teens, and worse in some areas due to layoffs and outsourcing.

Good luck and welcome!

RM

Old 09-19-2010, 10:38 AM

877 posts, read 1,702,446 times
Check out Riverview. It's less than a 45 minute commute to MacDill by the Crosstown. We rented a 3/2 pool house in great condition (granite countertops etc.) for $1200 a month last year.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:30 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,515,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Around the Mcdill base there are areas to rent that are not that expensive. Have you checked with the Housing office at the base for their lists?
There are lots of nice middle-class homes around the base and I'm sure you could find one for rent. I would avoid the apartment complexes directly on Dale Mabry and maybe a block or so on either side as most of them are rundown and/or low-income. The Interbay/Port Tampa area was developed between the 50s and 70s and the homes will reflect that style. Most of them are in decent or good shape. The streets are generally pretty quiet and there are a lot of ex-military types living around there.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,165 times
Hello Everyone ,
we (me & my husband) will be moving from kansas to tampa , Florida this weekend . can someone suggest me a good apartment for rent in the westshore that is safe too? i 'd really appreciate ur help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or