Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 07:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

Advertisements

If you're looking to add a little culture in your life (I try to balance Rays/Bucs games w/ Orchestra, myself).

http://www.floridaorchestra.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 05:31 AM

Free Florida Orchestra Concert Returns to Vinoy for 18th Year

Fall sees the return of the time-honored free Pops in the Park Concert at Vinoy Park, sponsored by Old Northeast resident and businesswoman Helen Torres. This year marks the eighteenth anniversary of The Florida Orchestra’s annual performance in Vinoy Park, which attracts as many as 15,000 bay-area residents for a concert and fireworks each fall.

Torres, with the help of an army of volunteers and residents from Old Northeast, spends hours to promote this event and provides much needed hands-on assistance for the day of the concert. While Torres’ generous sponsorship provides significant underwriting for the concert, a grassroots campaign is conducted every year to garner additional contributions from friends, local businesses and residents who love the arts. If you would like to learn how to make a tax deductible contribution in support of this concert by becoming one of “Helen’s Buddies,” or discuss sponsorship opportunities, please contact The Florida Orchestra at mrice@floridaorchestra.org or 727.362.5423.

The Pops in the Parks concerts also provide a platform for other community-based organizations to raise awareness and further their cause. Tampa Bay Harvest, a food collector and distributor serving both Hillsborough and Pinellas counties, will be present at the concert to collect non-perishable food items. Last year, over 3,000 pounds of food were collected and re-distributed to shelters, childcare centers, food pantries and senior citizens centers in St. Petersburg.

The Florida Orchestra invites you to join us at this year’s Vinoy Park Pops in the Park Concert, on Saturday, October 22, 2011, at 7:00 pm. We look forward to seeing you there!

http://www.floridaorchestra.org/even...sicforEveryone

Old 03-10-2012, 06:14 AM

Lots of open seats last night at the Straz Center for a fantastic performance by the Florida Orchestra. The show was accompanied by a couple of outstanding Broadway actors (singers) - Ron Bohmer, Andrea Burns. We're very lucky to have this entertainment here. Rock on Broadway - they'll be in St Pete tonight, Clearwater on Sunday.

Florida Orchestra | Events

Old 03-11-2013, 06:28 AM

Hate to keep bumping a thread where only I have been posting - but got to plug the Florida Orchestra again. Went to a pops concert on Friday at the Straz (I think tickets were $11) and had a great experience. Byron Stripling gave a remarkable performance. Every season the Orchestra brings in some great vocal performers - might keep going to these concerts until my dying days.

Byron Stripling Sings The Blues - YouTube

Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
[b]I love Music!!/B]

The Florida Orchestra - YouTube

Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Hate to keep bumping a thread where only I have been posting - but got to plug the Florida Orchestra again. Went to a pops concert on Friday at the Straz (I think tickets were $11) and had a great experience. Byron Stripling gave a remarkable performance. Every season the Orchestra brings in some great vocal performers - might keep going to these concerts until my dying days.

Byron Stripling Sings The Blues - YouTube
I just listened to the beginning of that and I like it! I wasn't aware that the Orchestra brings in other performers - who sing other music. Although my favorite music is classic rock, I like a wide range of music, including Jazz and Blues, and music, say, from Transiberian Orchestra.

I dated a guy who was really into B.B. King. I really didn't know his music but ended up going to two of his shows. I was a bit concerned I wouldn't enjoy it as I didn't know any of his songs but let me tell you, he put on one of the best performances I've ever seen because he was so engaged, shared some great entertaining stories with the audience and you felt you were friends by the time you left.

What are some other entertainers you've seen BucFan that you really liked?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 PM

That was a performance with a small jazz band. His performance w/ the orchestra was 1000x better. He brought in a buxom female singer and a tap dancer/singer. Either I don't get out enough or that was some outstanding entertainment.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:30 AM

FLA Orchestra back in session again. Attended great Pops concert at Straz. Very talented individuals. I'd gladly give up my Rays, Bucs tickets if I had to decided between the FLA Orchestra season tickets and my sports tickets. These musicians don't get enough credit for their talents. Univ of Tampa faculty member Hein Jung (originally from Korea) sang vocals on a couple of the songs that were performed. You people who complain that this area has no culture don't know what you're missing.....

This was her a few yrs back....

https://vimeo.com/112006989

Old 10-11-2015, 05:00 PM

PARK CONCERTS

Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 7:00 PM
Vinoy Park

Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 7:00 PM
River Tower Park

Picnic under the stars with your Florida Orchestra offering a fun mix of familiar symphonic and pop favorites. Be sure to bring plenty of canned goods for Tampa Bay Harvest’s annual food drive! Collection points will be available throughout the park.

For the Vinoy Park concert, pre-concert community activities begin at 4 pm. In addition, there will be vendors from Saturday Morning Market, Keep St. Pete Local, and Gulf to Bay Food Truck Association.

The City of St. Petersburg will provide free shuttle service. The red open air trolley with wheelchair lift will make stops at Al Lang (east side of 1st St just south of 1st Ave S), Sundial (east side of 1st St between 1st Ave N and 2nd Ave N), and Vinoy Park (north side of 7th Ave NE just west of Bayshore Drive). For a printable route, click here.

Canned Food Donations: Concertgoers at both Park Concerts are invited to bring canned food donations for Tampa Bay Harvest for their food bank services in the Tampa Bay area.

River Tower Park is located at 401 East Bird Street, Tampa, FL. For directions on how to get to Bird Street, click here.

Vinoy Park is located at 501 5th Avenue Northeast, St. Petersburg, FL. For directions on how to get to 5th Avenue NE, click here.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:28 PM

Attended a TFO performance last night that was just fantastic. We're really lucky to have them. They had vocalists perform with the orchestra - world class. Tix cost me $15 for a near front row, middle seat. They have performance in Tampa on Friday nights, StPete Saturday and Clearwater on Sundays. Was nearly tempted to go for a repeat performance tonight at Mahaffey. Recommend the Pops concerts - more contemporary music most of the time.

From their site:
The music will be haunting…how about you? Featuring Broadway stars Lisa Vroman and Doug LaBrecque, it’s a night of symphonic sounds and soaring songs from such hit musicals as The Phantom of the Opera, Jekyll and Hyde, Sweeney Todd, Cats and Beauty and the Beast...along with music from films, including Jaws, Sound of Music, and Pirates of the Caribbean and more for an evening of bewitching music.

Last edited by BucFan; 10-31-2015 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay