U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 05:31 PM

436 posts, read 1,008,070 times

Advertisements

How are the mosquitoes in Tampa Bay, specifically Pinellas County? I hate the damn things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 AM

766 posts, read 1,653,241 times
I can't speak for Pinellas , but in Hillsborough, they're not bad at all. I seem to get bit by many other things than mosquitoes. And it's not a fair fight, cause I can even see or hear them before they bite!

Old 09-27-2010, 06:44 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,240,931 times
I live in Pinellas. Yes there are mosquitoes here. They're not bad around here except around dusk, then they come out to feed. The mosquitoes here are small (well, from what I am used to in Alaska) and they only seem to be out around dusk.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,927,896 times
I'm near a 16,000-acre wilderness with a fresh water river running through it and there are no more mosquitoes here than where I was nearer the beach in south Florida. I do get way more dragonflys here which probably helps keep the population down.

Love the dragonflys, especially when I turn on the hose. Something about the stream of water in the sunlight attracts them over to it. A few months ago I was pointing something out to one of my contractors when a dragonfly landed on my finger. I am the dragonflywhisperer.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 AM

436 posts, read 1,008,070 times
Good to hear that it doesn't sound like the mosquitoes are horrendous in the Tampa Bay area. I can't stand them. I get welts from their bites.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:28 PM

10 posts, read 26,572 times
The mosquitoes are awful, but I swear I think they gravitate more toward certain people. I can get 20 bites and my husband won't even have one.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:33 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,084,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wewantout View Post
The mosquitoes are awful, but I swear I think they gravitate more toward certain people. I can get 20 bites and my husband won't even have one.
This. The girlfriend gets bit all the time, I haven't had a bite in years.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,240,931 times
As I said earlier, really bad at dusk. 4 year old was outside but wouldn;t go in the pool because it is so cold. When I came home the family was swimming and my 4 year old had at least 10 bites on him. DW got out of the pool, hung outside for about 15 minutes and ended up with 7 good bites. Although the mosquitoes are small here, they are rather vicious. I live in Pinellas County.... less than 3 miles from the beaches.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:03 PM

158 posts, read 263,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
As I said earlier, really bad at dusk. 4 year old was outside but wouldn;t go in the pool because it is so cold. When I came home the family was swimming and my 4 year old had at least 10 bites on him. DW got out of the pool, hung outside for about 15 minutes and ended up with 7 good bites. Although the mosquitoes are small here, they are rather vicious. I live in Pinellas County.... less than 3 miles from the beaches.
Is it like year round that with those blood suckers are out?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:08 PM

158 posts, read 263,688 times
Lactic Acid
Everyone of us releases lactic acid when exercising or consuming particular foods. This chemical is used in some of mosquito traps as an attractant.

Octenol

When people and animals breathe, they exhale mixture of carbon dioxide and octenol, which is actually a type ofalcohol. Octenol is sometimes described as 'cow’s breath in a can', and is a remarkable lure for mosquitoes. Mosquitoes and other biting insects have extremely-sensitive receptors that can detect this chemical from almost 100 feet away.

Body heat
Circulating blood in animals and humans radiates body heat. As mosquitoes have sophisticated heat sensors, they follow body heat and exhaled gases and fly to their target. The exact temperature depends on the type of mosquito.
Moisture
During breathing people also exhale water vapor and perspiration is produced during active movement. Even small amounts of water will attract mosquitoes as it could mean possible blood source or possible breading site.
Movement
Mosquitoes can see their victims from within 30 feet by locating the changes in waves of light around them, caused by moving objects.
Color
Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors, so wearing dark is not the best thing if you want to avoid being bitten. Dark foliage is another attractant.
Sound
Although some of mosquito trap manufacturers state that they use mosquito attracting or repelling sounds, scientists have proven there is no particular sound frequency that would be interesting to mosquitoes.

Scientific experiments show that only one of mentioned sources is not enough for mosquitoes to react – combination of several things as carbon dioxide, lactic acid and octenol attracts mosquitoes best.

One of the studies by entomologist Daniel L. Kline showed that worn human socks alone attracted very few mosquitoes. However, a significant increase occurred to CO2-baited traps when combined with a worn sock for most mosquitoes, including species of Aedes, Anopheles, Coquillettidia, Culex, Culiseta, and Psorophora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay