Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:37 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Most dont care in Tampa b/c they're all from NY and Boston and couldnt fathom pulling for their new "home team."
This really is the Devil Rays' biggest problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 01:47 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
I agree Tampa should not have a baseball team-SAD!

Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 PM

335 posts, read 938,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Most dont care in Tampa b/c they're all from NY and Boston and couldnt fathom pulling for their new "home team."
I have four generations of Red Sox fans in my family. Just because I move does not mean I will start rooting for the local team in place of the Sox ESPECIALLY when they are in the same division. However, I did go to the Trop at least 3-4 times per season and my parents had a mini season ticket game pack.

I do try to catch a game in any new city I go to. I love visiting new parks whether the Sox are playing or not.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:08 PM

335 posts, read 938,842 times
But back to the original post, that is the problem down here...Tampa (bay area!) can't hold an MLB team. It has to be a downer as a player to be on the verge of clinching and to only see 12,000 fans!

Old 09-28-2010, 03:13 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
This is a Florida issue and not exclusive to the Tampa Bay area. I grew up in South Florida and was actually on hand at the very first Miami Dolphins game in 1966. I grew up a Dolphins fan and despite their dominance in the 1970s and even the 17-0 season, they struggled to keep the stadium full and this was well before the arrival of the NBA's Miami Heat, MLB's Florida Marlins or NHL's Florida Panthers. Heck, it was even before the huge popularity of the U of Miami Hurricane's football program. So it's not a competition for fan dollars in my opinion, rather an odd lack of allegiance to our new hometown teams as transplants. Maybe I'm wrong, but in other boom towns of the past 30 years (Denver, Charlotte, Atlanta and Phoenix come to mind), there hasn't been the visible lack of locals at home games when not playing a team with a big national presence. I have no other plausible theory other than the heat makes us lazy....anyone?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:16 PM

8 posts, read 10,875 times
I think Longo's right for saying what he did. I would of done the same thing. I've never thought of Tampa as a big baseball city. I grew up around St Louis which I think is one of the top 5 baseball cities. People go to Cards games either winning or losing. Great, great baseball city!

Funny thing is people in Tampa have a great baseball team and won't go to games. But if they didn't have a team, they'd complain about not having a team and not being able to go to games.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 PM

794 posts, read 1,859,943 times
Kudos to the Rays organization who in response to all the media around the attendance, they are giving away 20K tickets to tomorrow's game starting at 4:30.

That's Class....

Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 PM

147 posts, read 354,402 times
I wouldn't blame the "transplants" for the lack of attendance. If anything if it wasn't for them showing up when the Yanks or Sox's play the team would have went belly up years ago. The price of the tickets are really reasonable at the Trop especially if you compare them with what the Yanks are charging in the Bronx. You really can't blame the economy because there are plenty of people out of work in NY, Boston, Detroit and other major cities. You can't blame the weather since they are in a dome.
I would have thought that with all the retirees in the area a lot of them would be going to the park just to get out of the house for a while.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Kudos to the Rays organization who in response to all the media around the attendance, they are giving away 20K tickets to tomorrow's game starting at 4:30.

That's Class....
Rays giving away 20,000 tickets for Wednesday's game

I'm wondering if they're testing the market - people say that going to Rays games is unaffordable. We'll see how many of those 20,000 tickets get taken.

I'm glad Longoria and Price spoke out.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:45 PM

162 posts, read 677,385 times
I'm a transplant and still a loyal Phillies fan but I would go to the Rays games if the field was in Tampa. It's too far for us to go more regularly. We can only get there a few times per year. Can't beat the prices though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay