Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:01 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,219,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
So, I'm guessing I want to stay North of 375 and East of 275. Is that correct? I'm looking for a safe neighborhood but one with character. Where should I (roughly) draw my Northern border if I prefer neighborhoods with some history/character, as opposed to new construction/sprawl?
Good grief-I've lived in St. Pete for 30+ years and you're confusing ME. Old Northeast is fine (yes, many have pools) but bring your checkbook-some of the pricey homes in the city. Kenwood is a really cool neighborhood. Snell Isle is near NE and quite safe and walkable. How about a condo downtown? There's a bunch of high end ones and they're bargain basement priced. A great neighborhood is Allendale (around 38th Av N and 9th St) but it's not downtown.
You really need to visit and talk to a Realtor and take a tour of the city. It's truly one of the most diverse (housing wise) around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 03:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
When i was living in St Pete full time in the 60's and 70's i dont remember all these community names it was just the convergence of street and Avenue that described an area such as 9th st and 16ave N
Or 34th st and 5th ave N
Then again there were many things i wasnt paying attention to back in the 60's and 70's

Old 10-19-2010, 04:58 AM

18 posts, read 50,433 times
Let's clear something up about the "southside" of St.Petersburg.There are certainly some rough spot's on the southside yes.Mostly bewteen 4th st to 34th st and bewtween 5th ave south and 45th ave south.Area's toward the water is nice.Old Southeast,Tropical Shore's are close to downtown and frankly,Tropical Shore's has some of the best view's in St.Petersburg.Coquina Key's,Pinellas Point(including the Pink Street's and Bahama Shore's),Lakewodd Estate's are all really nice area.Yes,black people do live in this area.So,if your a white trash racist then no,you probaly won't do well anywhere on the southside.However,the area's I mentioned are mostly mixed with white's and blacks,with other culture's as well.These are the middle class to very weathly black people as well.So,it really depend's on what you seek.For those that have the "anything south of central ave" crowd,usually tend to be the white trash racist garbage.If you can appericate diversity,then the neighboorhood's I mentioned will do well.The "Pink Street's" toward's the very southernmost part of St.Pete,in Pinellas Point,is truly a beautiful area.it has a quiet park which sit's right on the Tampa Bay water's with the iconic Sunshine Skyway bridge in the background.Again,it's up to each person.I just want to clear up the "south of Central ave" additude,it really get's sickening to read after awhile.I've lived on the northside of town as well,trust me,not everywhere "north of Central" is exactly safe either.Although,Snell Isle and Old Northeast are very nice too.Make you own judgement call.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 AM

436 posts, read 1,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles6682 View Post
Let's clear something up about the "southside" of St.Petersburg.There are certainly some rough spot's on the southside yes.Mostly bewteen 4th st to 34th st and bewtween 5th ave south and 45th ave south.Area's toward the water is nice.Old Southeast,Tropical Shore's are close to downtown and frankly,Tropical Shore's has some of the best view's in St.Petersburg.Coquina Key's,Pinellas Point(including the Pink Street's and Bahama Shore's),Lakewodd Estate's are all really nice area.Yes,black people do live in this area.So,if your a white trash racist then no,you probaly won't do well anywhere on the southside.However,the area's I mentioned are mostly mixed with white's and blacks,with other culture's as well.These are the middle class to very weathly black people as well.So,it really depend's on what you seek.For those that have the "anything south of central ave" crowd,usually tend to be the white trash racist garbage.If you can appericate diversity,then the neighboorhood's I mentioned will do well.The "Pink Street's" toward's the very southernmost part of St.Pete,in Pinellas Point,is truly a beautiful area.it has a quiet park which sit's right on the Tampa Bay water's with the iconic Sunshine Skyway bridge in the background.Again,it's up to each person.I just want to clear up the "south of Central ave" additude,it really get's sickening to read after awhile.I've lived on the northside of town as well,trust me,not everywhere "north of Central" is exactly safe either.Although,Snell Isle and Old Northeast are very nice too.Make you own judgement call.
The thing that would make me nervous about living in South St Pete is that I'd be separated from downtown by sketchy neighborhoods. I'm not looking for that, as walking and biking to downtown would be important to me.

What parts of North St Pete do you find unsafe/sketchy?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
The only sketchy places I can think of would be some of the neighborhoods immediately north of Downtown St. Pete, as well as the Haines Road/Lealman area, which isn't inside the city limits.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 AM

436 posts, read 1,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
The only sketchy places I can think of would be some of the neighborhoods immediately north of Downtown St. Pete, as well as the Haines Road/Lealman area, which isn't inside the city limits.
Like parts of Historic Kenwood and Historic Uptown?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
Like parts of Historic Kenwood and Historic Uptown?
Yes, and add Roser Park to that which is immediately south of downtown.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 AM

463 posts, read 1,047,907 times
If you want walkable, I recommend skipping St. Petersburg and going with Safety Harbor or Dunedin. Safety Harbor's main street area has bike paths, monthly festivals and something always going on.

St. Petersburg wouldn't be the first city I'd recommend to someone coming in, especially if you want to have children in the future. Northern Pinellas County (Palm Harbor, Oldsmar, East Lake area), I would recommend.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:38 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Only if you want to live near downtown. There are plenty of beautiful neighborhoods that are safe in St. Pete, but they won't be walkable to downtown.

This is part of why Im choosing to go with Tampa. St pete has charm, but not as good a place to live as Tampa is imo. Tampa has more as well contrary to what some say. Lately seems like more people are always taking St Petes side in the battle of the cities and although nice in parts, I prefer Tampa. Tampa has more of an even playing field out of the 2 as well. St Pete to me seems like its feast or famine meaning clubs are either expensive or you got the true ghetto and homeless. They are trying to be like SF but its not working. Tampa has more affordable places to eat and dine + comparable rent. St Petes rent may be the same, but more places cost to go out if you're going somewhere desirable. At least in the last 5 yrs its seemed this way more. I don't know about before that though.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:44 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles6682 View Post

So closer to the skyway bridge where the 7-11 is has the racists more? I would think Pinellas park would have more of the white trash as well. Pretty much anywhere not Central ave I would think is full of white trash types.

It seems like St Pete is like cubes. Off the bridge, racists maybe like you said or white trash up until you get to the maxi mall and then that becomes the black cube, then the next cube is a small one, the central ave more diverse people area, then the next cube after seems to be white and black mixed, then the next cube appears to be Pinellas with white trash types again. I see it kinda being like this type setup. One cube can be nicer than the next or more racist than the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay