Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 06:28 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineNic View Post
The value of a pool is really up to the owner. We had a pool in NJ and used it all summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:39 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineNic View Post
The value of a pool is really up to the owner. We had a pool in NJ and used it all summer. When we moved to the Treasure Coast, a pool was high on our "must have" list of features in a house. Now that we are contemplating a move to Tampa/St Pete, a pool is still a must have. We use our pool nearly every day.

One thing that we didn't consider regarding the pool was the exposure. Our house faces south; the pool is on the north side. Now that the weather is getting cooler, our pool gets no sun and gets too cold for swimming early in the fall.

If we do move to the west coast, I will be looking for a house with a pool that has an east or west exposure to maximize the sun and extend the swimming season.

A solar heater is a nice addition that add no cost to your pool maintenance budget. I have friends that a natural gas-pool heater and they never use it because of the cost.
Yes, a pool is pretty much a lifestyle item for us as well. I would love to have an enclosed pool to where I could leave the doors open to it and it would seem like an additional room to the house.

Exposure of the backyard and pool are very important things to consider, I agree. We learned this in Texas when everyone like to BBQ at our house in the evening because our yard was on the East side of our home, resulting in a shady deck, while all of our friends had west facing yards which caused just too much sun.

The house we are renting right now has the pool on the east side of the home. Which is great, IMO. Since its a ranch home there is sun shining on the pool until about 6pm. Allowing us to swim in the shade without having to lather the kids up with sunblock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Well, now I just know you're going to pay a premium when you fall in love with that pool/spa/waterfall. Engjoy it in good health.

(I'm starting a pool of wagers on when the dogs will start jumping in.)
You're probably right. I would much rather buy a fixer upper house that has a great outdoor/pool area than buy an updated/good condition house that has a crappy pool area (small decking area, no pool screen, small yard, etc). I know that may not make a whole lot of sense with it being more likely to be less expensive outside. Now that I am thinking about it... I think I would prefer a fixer upper all around.

I have inside information for your pool of wagers you're starting up. lol We only got one dog in the pool by putting her in there. She swam.... straight to the stairs to get out and has had no interest in getting in. The other dog is super hairy and we can;t coax her into the pool.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times
I took my hybrid wolf to dog beach regularly since he was a few months old but he'd only go in up to his belly. He'd love to play with the other dogs and he'd chase with them but would stop when they went too deep. I never forced him into the water because I had a bad memory of my brother as a kid dumping our Weimar into a lake to make him swim. Also I knew from watching wolfpuppy in elevators that he preferred feet on solid ground. He didn't even like car rides, how odd.

Then after about three years of doing dog beach, he just walked into the ocean one day and started swimming like he'd been doing it all along. It was pretty surreal. Neither fuss nor hesitation. Just followed one of his friends into the water and from then on he loved it as if he'd been enjoying it his entire life. So part of the bet is not just if, but when.

Though there are many flip flops to be found (flips renovated with ATM $s so late in the game that they flopped), I bought disaster property (mostly untouched since original development) with good bones to dress up to my requirements.

I did the same with my last home though that one more by financial necessity. Over time I turned it into a great place though it was a lot of work & I told myself then: never again. I never learn. This will be the last time though. Redoing two houses at once about things I've done only once before is a bit overwelming. Fortunately I'm old enough now that this time probably is my last. When I'm even older I'm just going back to building model planes and cars from kits. A little paint. A few decals. I'm done.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 AM

397 posts, read 813,647 times
things-that-dont-add-value-to-your-home: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I didn't read the article........but...what applies in the northern US......doesn't apply to the southeast where the summers are much longer and hotter.

As far as house postion...........I look for homes, preferring a rear easterly direction for the morning sun and shade for the late afternoon.

And heating the pool...........if you have a rear southern exposure, throw solar water panels on the roof. They cost nothing to operate, unlike a pool heater. ( I say REAR southern exposure, because there is nothing worse looking than solar panels on the front of a house) in my humble opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay