Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:34 AM

28 posts, read 54,993 times

Advertisements

I'm a 54 year old single male making a move to the US sometime in 2011 - probably around May. I'm looking for information on areas to live which have views, entertainment, shopping, low crime, etc.

I will be primarily working from home and driving around Tampa but it's not a requirement to be in the center (if there is such a thing). Proximity to water is high on my list but safety is as well.

One more thing.... We're are most of the jobs (major employers)? I'm also thinking of buying rental properties but would like to know the better neighborhoods.

Any information you can send my way is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by praguer56; 10-08-2010 at 05:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Employment:

http://www.tampabay.org/documents/20...ployers(1).xls

Location (Westshore/Bayside--two malls, no waiting):

tampa - Google Maps

Moderator cut: good grammar not a requirement

Last edited by Keeper; 10-25-2010 at 05:39 AM..

Old 10-09-2010, 06:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Prague to Tampa - talk about a big culture change for you. Good luck.

If I were making the move, I'd highly consider some of those high rise condos in downtown St Petersburg. Nice views, close to food/entertainment, not too far from beaches (DeSoto)/St Pete Beach.

Moderator cut: real estate websites not allowed

Last edited by Keeper; 10-24-2010 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: sorry

Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
Reading your post I'm thinking you may have either applied and received a lottery green card - or hope to move here with some other visa. If you don't have a job offer, this may be tough. If you have a right to reside here that is fine and sorry for assuming you didn't know this, but the fact that you are asking about jobs and maybe buying property, made me think you might not know the immigration policies for moving to the USA. If you have arrangements in place for this, congratulations! Jobs are hard right now and property is a good buy, if you have the funds to spend, as mortgages are not the easiest thing to obtain if you are new to the country with no credit. If you are not already legally able to come here check this out first. USCIS Home Page

Old 10-11-2010, 07:10 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Prague to Tampa - talk about a big culture change for you. Good luck.

If I were making the move, I'd highly consider some of those high rise condos in downtown St Petersburg. Nice views, close to food/entertainment, not too far from beaches (DeSoto)/St Pete Beach.
I second this suggestion.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-12-2010 at 07:00 AM..

Old 10-24-2010, 09:15 AM

28 posts, read 54,993 times
Thank you to everyone. I'll look at the St Pete area for housing and take it from there.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Prague to Tampa?? Whats wrong with Prague?
54 year old guy looking for work in Tampa? hope you have some very good job skills because jobs are scarce and the ones that are available have many applicants,then theres the whole immigration process that is a bureaucratic nightmare.
Nothing on the Mediterranean that would be an easier move?

Anyhow let us know how it turns out..Good luck

Old 10-25-2010, 06:00 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
Well, moving from Prague to the Tampa/St. Petersburg area will be quite a big cultural shock. The whole area is very large, spread out, and car dependent. Look at the area with Street Viewer on Google Earth. If you move to the outer suburbs of Tampa, it will definitely be VERY different from Europe. The outer suburbs of Tampa is very country-like, a lot of churches and very socially conservative.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:25 PM

269 posts, read 607,683 times
i did the same as you. i am from europe but i bought a condo in St Petersburg. Check around the Pasadena area. It is close to the beaches and close to shopping

Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 PM

149 posts, read 259,742 times
I just arrived in St-Petersburg area from Europe several days ago to do some pre relocation field work. I find people are very open and friendly, alot of transplants so you don't feel so different. Saint Petersburg is beautiful. I think the waterfront park and beach are great assets to the city. The park and seashore bike path really makes living downtown a viable option for somebody like me that enjoys the outdoors and the beach, but likes the convenience having shopping and office, walking distance from home.
On the other hand, coming, from densely populated Europe, I don't see the barrier islands beach towns as being "far" from anything, about 40mn probably to St-Pete downtown, a bit more to Tampa but nothing like 1 1/2 hour -2H one way commutes common in metro areas like Paris or Madrid..or Dallas, Seattle. One of the nicer malls is quite close to the beaches: Tyrone Mall. Even closer you can find big supermarkets, Target, Walmart and fruit and vegetable markets as well.
The southern most beach towns are quite touristy, but if you take the time to drive Gulf Bld north you'll gradually see the towns change into very well kept residential areas with their bike and walking paths, public beaches, and very safe too. Some have said on the forums that only middle-aged people live there, but that is not entirely true. There are also alot of students, who can be seen at the beaches and later at the many beach bars and cafes.
Personally, I did alot of online research before coming here, but there are some things that can only be found out by spending time, living in a place, and driving around neighborhoods to compare and get a general feel, impressions even google street view can't give you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay