Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,104 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help this soon to be Tampa guy out with any tips for finding a Sales opening in Medical Sales. Former 12 years in IT/Telcom consulting Sales trying a new industry.

Moving from Denver and yes prefer a job before moving since I've done that before and not a good thing.

Ideas on how to start looking, tips on Comps or how to go about targeting a Sales job in the Medical arena...thanks a ton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 07:39 AM

265 posts, read 975,632 times
My tip would be to avoid Medical Sales, with ongoing changes to how vendors can handle potential customers the industry isnt what it once was. The day and age of golf games, fishing trips, and fine dining are all but over. Even handing out pens with company logos is going to be regulated. Pharma is the hardest hit. Equipment is taking a hit as well.

With the sour economy and the effect of the Deficit Reduction Act on Physician's, Hospitals, and clinics the industry is steering toward reduced priced medications and equipment like never before. Often this is older medications which are equally effective and yet cost far less. Unless your selling a truly innovative product without a competitor going into Pharma is dicey. Big money is still there regionally, that is if you enjoy dealing with offices who like you only because you brought lunch and MD's who tell you their prescribing your medication although your statistics indicate otherwise. I know many reps and I figure the shelf life of a Pharma sales rep to be 3-5 years top. I hate to sound negative, there are those that love these jobs.

Good luck...

Old 10-10-2010, 03:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,927 times
Check out some of the best medical sales jobs boards like [url=http://www.topdogmedicalsales.com]Medical Sales Jobs | Medical Device Sales Jobs | Pharmaceutical Sales Jobs :: Welcome[/url] or [url=http://www.gorillamedicalsales.com]Medical Sales Jobs, Pharmaceutical Sales Jobs, Medical Device Sales Jobs by GorillaMed-Health Care Representative Employment Board[/url]

Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,658,609 times
I know one person who got a medical sales job up north. She said it is EXTREMELY difficult to get in. You have to know someone first. It is who you know, not what you know.

Also,you have to dress the part, look the part. It is very image oriented, so if you don't own a very expensive suite, go out and buy one. If you are overweight, go to the gym and loose weight, build some muscle. Oh, and you probably should get a nice car too. I am not joking either.

I don't think it will be any different from up north. Florida, IMO, is very image centered.

Good luck! Medical sales jobs are out there. I have been looking in the medical field for a job and I see job openings occasionally. They probably have someone in mind for that position before hand, but are legally obligated to open it up to the general public. My friend who got the job, she had NO experience in sales or in the medical field. She had her "in" from several friends of hers from that company. She also looked the part. She was young, pretty, sexy, dressed perfectly, cared deeply about her looks.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 AM

265 posts, read 975,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
She also looked the part. She was young, pretty, sexy, dressed perfectly, cared deeply about her looks.
Undoubtedly, looking the part is important. For a male sales rep that means spending two hours in the gym plus 3-4 hours staring at yourself in the mirror each day.

For females this means covering for your lack of product knowledge by dressing provactively..

Its truly a sad industry and I'm glad they are finally being scrutinized..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: