Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 04:50 PM

269 posts, read 607,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The only time this rail link would be used would be Rush hours,the rest of the time people would not use it and instead use their cars so maybe preliminary cost studies have rendered the rail link a financial waste of tax payers money or no way to make a profit if undertaken privately..
Everyone dont have a car. If there were better public transit, for example snowbirds would not need to bring a car.

It is time for a change America, leave the car at home and take the train
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 05:07 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
I suggest you check your facts (%-age) of ppl living in Florida "without" a car....

Without connections and speed PT will not work here sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1983 View Post
Everyone dont have a car. If there were better public transit, for example snowbirds would not need to bring a car.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:16 PM

269 posts, read 607,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I suggest you check your facts (%-age) of ppl living in Florida "without" a car....

Without connections and speed PT will not work here sadly.
Florida has a lot of visitors that maybe not counts in the statistics. For example snowbirds and purhaps even students at USF who dont have their own deed?

Where can i find the numbers?

I have a condo in Florida and i dont own a car there. I would love some better public transportation

Old 01-01-2011, 06:45 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
From the perspective of a Miamian who often visits Orlando and Tampa, I'm against the high speed rail and I hope Rick Scott kills it. Even if I were to take the train into either city, I would have to rent a car when I get there. Neither city--hell, not even Miami--has enough pedestrian-friendly infrastructure and local transportation options to make connecting the cities useful. Noone is going to bother to drive/cab to a train station, pay daily parking/cab, wait for the train, only to rent a car at the other end. There is talk about expanding local transit options, but don't we really need to see more ACTION before committing to a HSR? Example: here in Miami, the Metrorail spur to the airport is scheduled to open in 2012, with NOTHING in the pipeline after that!

Finally, the initial construction is kind-of-sort-of funded, but there has been no mention of the cost of maintaining the system...which is the MAJORITY of the costs of a rail system. Either would be unacceptably high, or FL taxes have to go up.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Here, maybe this will help.....

Transportation in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't we all, where I am from, we have 6 ways of public transit.....here, like the above poster mentioned...there are NO connections and you end up having to use a car anyway! not to mention how long it will take you to get anywhere and how much money the state will have to drop in to cover gas for all the buses. This state is not pedestrian friendly because 1. people do LOVE their cars, mostly because they LOVE their personal space, which is why so many NY transplants.....and 2. weather, would you sit and wait for a bus half hour to an hour in 90 degrees weather?

I will tell this Rick guy myself to put that money into Autistic Education which lacks a LOT here....and forget about wasting money on non sense projects.

We already have "construction" as a trademark failed industry, no need to add to the failure list.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1983 View Post

Yes it would be nice to see a fully functioning public transit network all over Florida where you could be whisked in air conditioned comfort to within 5 minute walk to any destination,
Problem is even if it were built most people would still prefer the convenience of their cars and the public transit system would just be a huge waste of money.
Johan you are right about America having an addiction to cars but the way most of the country is set up theres not really much option as you need a car to go just about anywhere, yes you maybe able to exist solely on public transportation if you live in a large urban environment like NYC or Boston or you live next to your job and a super market and dont really go anywhere but thats certainly not the situation most Americans have or want.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Autistic education serves a few. Transportation serves many.

Quote:
Here, maybe this will help.....

Transportation in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't we all, where I am from, we have 6 ways of public transit.....here, like the above poster mentioned...there are NO connections and you end up having to use a car anyway! not to mention how long it will take you to get anywhere and how much money the state will have to drop in to cover gas for all the buses. This state is not pedestrian friendly because 1. people do LOVE their cars, mostly because they LOVE their personal space, which is why so many NY transplants.....and 2. weather, would you sit and wait for a bus half hour to an hour in 90 degrees weather?

I will tell this Rick guy myself to put that money into Autistic Education which lacks a LOT here....and forget about wasting money on non sense projects.

We already have "construction" as a trademark failed industry, no need to add to the failure list.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 AM

1 IN 10 KIDS SUFFER FROM IT!

OK!
You are with one foot in the grave, THESE CHILDREN NEED TO HAVE A FUTURE IN SOCIETY! THEY NEED AN EDUCATION JUST LIKE THE REST OF THE KIDS THAT ARE BORN IN THIS SELFISH BEYOND BELIEF COUNTRY! PLEASE DO NOT BE INSULTING TO THE AUTISTIC CHILDREN OR ANYONE ELSE!

People in Florida LOVE their cars, I want to see you ride the bus from Spring Hill all around the bay! ON DAILY BASIS @ RUSH HOUR!

If they didn't we already HAD a valid transit in place! Remember, Florida is full of NYC and other Northerner transplants all looking for "space" and "personal space" from their well organized mass transit UP NORTH!

What are we going to do when the South Looks just like the North!? move back? take our toys?.......find another peninsula or island to drive around undisturbed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Autistic education serves a few. Transportation serves many.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Check your facts before shouting at me. According to the Center for Disease Control's most recent data, between one in 80 and one in 240 children with an average of one in 110 have an ASD. That would be about ONE PERCENT of the children. 1 in 110 on average, not 1 in 10.
Again, check your facts before berating any one. Sure, those kids (and adults) need education. I dont disagree with that.

Now you are knocking MY COUNTRY. Dont do that. If you dont like MY country, go back to where you came from. I served this country so people like yourself would have a place to come and enjoy their lives in freedom. If you dont like MY COUNTRY get your AS* out!
You know very little about American history and the love affair with the automobile. You should study up on it.

If I wanted to ride a bus in Tampa, I would live in Tampa.

I do not want the South to look like or be like the North. That is why I am here. Its not the North. Orlando got to big and busy for us so we came to the rural area we find in Spring Hill. Its called intelligent choice in what we want out of life. Apparently a few people on this forum did not make intelligent choices but acted on whims for which they are now sorry and blame the State of Florida for their stupidity.

I can only imagine what these same people who find fault with everything in FL were saying about their previous locations before leaving them.

So take your hatred and move on.

Quote:
1 IN 10 KIDS SUFFER FROM IT!

OK!
You are with one foot in the grave, THESE CHILDREN NEED TO HAVE A FUTURE IN SOCIETY! THEY NEED AN EDUCATION JUST LIKE THE REST OF THE KIDS THAT ARE BORN IN THIS SELFISH BEYOND BELIEF COUNTRY! PLEASE DO NOT BE INSULTING TO THE AUTISTIC CHILDREN OR ANYONE ELSE!

People in Florida LOVE their cars, I want to see you ride the bus from Spring Hill all around the bay! ON DAILY BASIS @ RUSH HOUR!

If they didn't we already HAD a valid transit in place! Remember, Florida is full of NYC and other Northerner transplants all looking for "space" and "personal space" from their well organized mass transit UP NORTH!

I have no problems with traffic here. I did have problems with the volume of traffic in Orlando. Thus one of the reasons we left after 17 years.
I am sure I wouldnt like the traffic volume or denseness of Tampa either and that is one of many reasons we don't live there.

See, we made an intelligent choice which was based on what is best for us. Again, a few people apparently didn't take that step and when their bubbles burst they blame Florida. How stupid is that?

What are we going to do when the South Looks just like the North!? move back? take our toys?.......find another peninsula or island to drive around undisturbed?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:06 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
From the perspective of a Miamian who often visits Orlando and Tampa, I'm against the high speed rail and I hope Rick Scott kills it. Even if I were to take the train into either city, I would have to rent a car when I get there. Neither city--hell, not even Miami--has enough pedestrian-friendly infrastructure and local transportation options to make connecting the cities useful. Noone is going to bother to drive/cab to a train station, pay daily parking/cab, wait for the train, only to rent a car at the other end. There is talk about expanding local transit options, but don't we really need to see more ACTION before committing to a HSR? Example: here in Miami, the Metrorail spur to the airport is scheduled to open in 2012, with NOTHING in the pipeline after that!

Finally, the initial construction is kind-of-sort-of funded, but there has been no mention of the cost of maintaining the system...which is the MAJORITY of the costs of a rail system. Either would be unacceptably high, or FL taxes have to go up.

It's called STARTING somewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay