U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,462 times

Advertisements

I am just starting my research on Tampa St Pete. We are thinking of relocating there. We are currently in S. Florida. We like a historic "in-town" neighborhood. So far, I'm leaning towards St. Pete. We have 3 boys, who attend Catholic school. We will rent a house/condo/townhouse first. Of course we like a safe area, but being close to downtown. (or actually IN downtown) Older buildings/houses appeal to us. Or new construction with character, and no ranch type homes. What neighborhoods do you recommend we look in for each city?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 09:47 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,079,614 times
IN Tampa I'd recommend looking in and around South Tampa(Hyde Park, Beach Park, Sunset Park, Palma Ceia around the Golf Course, Bayshore Beautiful, Davis Islands.
West Tampa, Tampa Heights are also historic, but not quite as safe yet, but making great progress. Seminole Heights is antother area..close to the River.

In St. Pete, I kniow a family living in Roser Park, on the south side of downtown, very unique and historic. I wouldnt go any further south. Otherwise, Old Northeast.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:03 PM

381 posts, read 1,634,921 times
I would suggest Old Northeast, Historic Kenwood, Woodlawn, and Crescent Lake areas to start with. There are a lot of condos near downtown, and they are building more townhomes all the time. Southside also has a few nicer areas close to downtown (I don't know the names of the neighborhoods).

Actually, if you wanted to go even further south past 22nd Ave, not far from Pasadena, it gets to be a very nice area. I don't think a lot of visitors actually get that far south in St. Pete, so they think the whole area is like a ghetto. It's completely the opposite. In fact, I would say there are some areas southside that are nicer than any of the northside areas.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,657,821 times
In St. Pete also try the uptown neighborhood (much smaller lots but just south of Crescent lake) and Old Southeast - gorgeous homes like Old Northeast but cheaper. Though getting very pricy - Old Southeast is at 22nd Avenue South going towards the bay - drive along Beach Drive there, it's amazing.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:48 AM

9,095 posts, read 13,282,093 times
Default Another Possible Transplant from SE Fla to Tampa

May I chime in here? I also am contemplating a move from southeast Fla to Tampa.

Eventually I would be interested in a 4/2 or 3/2 SFH or possibly new townhouse in the city of Tampa or some of the nearest suburbs north and east. Looking for safe as possible, family/professional-oriented section, either majority English- or Spanish-speaking, either one works fine.

Can anyone please translate some of the neighborhoods mentioned above or other neighborhoods you can think of into zip code? Are there any zip codes that should be avoided in terms of poverty, crime, etc.?

Also, are there any sections of Tampa that might be considered walking areas, full of street-side cafes, shops, restaurants, museums, etc., areas where people congregate and can be seen walking around, seeking entertainment, maybe negotiating some business, during the week, on the weekends?

Or is it 100% house/car/office/big shopping malls, with little contact with people in general outdoors and with nature, like many other cities in the US?

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:00 PM

381 posts, read 1,634,921 times
Here are some zip codes for the areas I mentioned in St. Pete:

33701, 33702, 33703, 33704, 33705, 33713, 33714

I don't think there are any entire zip codes you should avoid completely. There are portions of 33707 and 33709 which aren't the greatest. But then, I think it's the same with all the other ones, too (with the possible exception of 33702 and 33703).

I just found this which is really cool. I had no idea City-Data had it: //www.city-data.com/zips/33703.html

Old 07-09-2007, 01:39 PM

I'm interested specifically in Tampa. But the city-data information is useful, thanks.

I just found a site that gives Florida zip code maps: www.florida-business-data.com/maps/zip-codes/ (broken link)

Using the two together, I can probably gather the information I need.

But it would still be great to have some descriptions of street life in Tampa, St. Pete too, thanks.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:01 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,079,614 times
For street life in Tampa, the best neighborhoods are in Downtown and South Tampa(33629, 33609, 33611, 33602). Hyde Park has Hyde Park Village and Howard Avenue, the other South Tampa areas where you will see peoople walking around are Bay to Bay Blvd from Himes Ave to Bayshore Blvd; MacDill Ave from a liitle north of Bay to Bay Blvd to just south of Euclid Avenue; Westshore Blvd around the El Prado Blvd/Euclid Ave area, and Downtown/Channelside is becoming its own with new residents moving in daily, and construction on about half dozen new residential places. Davis Islands is a neat little community downtown, with Davis Islands Blvd. And there there is Ybor City, Historic Landmark, with a busy pedestrian friendly 7th Avenue.

You wont find anything like New York, Boston or Chicago, but then again, this isn't Boston, New York or Chicago, thankgoodness(love to visit there, but not reside there). I hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:57 PM

Thanks tampaguy3, yes, this helps: I'll know where to go to check it out when I visit. I hope my wife likes it: I want to get the heck out of southern Florida.

The only places that fit a street-life description in southeast Florida is a section of Atlantic Avenue in Delray Beach, and that's usually on the weekend and during the snowbird season, the same goes for Cityplace in West Palm Beach, Mizner Park in Boca Raton, and Las Olas in Ft. Lauderdale, then there's a section or two of Coconut Grove and Miracle Mile (actually probably a half-mile) in Coral Gables, all nice places, but ridiculously overpriced, at least for this small businessman.

You guys sound like a pleasant bunch, and I appreciate it.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:05 PM

71 posts, read 325,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
I would suggest Old Northeast, Historic Kenwood, Woodlawn, and Crescent Lake areas to start with. There are a lot of condos near downtown, and they are building more townhomes all the time. Southside also has a few nicer areas close to downtown (I don't know the names of the neighborhoods).

Actually, if you wanted to go even further south past 22nd Ave, not far from Pasadena, it gets to be a very nice area. I don't think a lot of visitors actually get that far south in St. Pete, so they think the whole area is like a ghetto. It's completely the opposite. In fact, I would say there are some areas southside that are nicer than any of the northside areas.
Where exactly is Old Northeast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay