Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:55 AM

477 posts, read 736,862 times

Advertisements

Is there a place in Tampa where I can find free moving boxes?
I don't need branded which costs > $100 for 2-3 room

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 09:11 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
craigslist, walmart, grocery stores...

Old 10-24-2010, 10:12 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
I used from Publix and Ace Hardware. But the one from Publix was the best. I could get all sizes and shape. Tell them to keep it for you. You can't just show up and get it.

Good luck in your move. It's a lot of stress. I don't want to remember ours.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:07 PM

158 posts, read 284,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
I used from Publix and Ace Hardware. But the one from Publix was the best. I could get all sizes and shape. Tell them to keep it for you. You can't just show up and get it.

Good luck in your move. It's a lot of stress. I don't want to remember ours.
Lowes has saved boxes for me every time I have moved. You just have to call and ask them to save them and pick them up on the dock. They are cleaner then grocery store boxes too.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Okay here we go. What types of boxes and where you get your boxes should depend greatly on how you are moving and the distance you are moving. This is from my own moving experiences.

In town moves: Liquor Stores, Grocery Stores, Department Stores are fine.
  • These boxes are not as thick as boxes you get from UHaul, Home Depot, Lowe's, Storage places etc. Many of these boxes are also missing the top because they get cut off. This is not a big deal since you are traveling a short distance and don't need a whole lot of protection.

Out of town moves <300 miles you doing the driving: Liquor Stores, Grocery Stores, Department Stores are fine.

• See above. You can also rent a much larger vehicle to move your goods so they aren't so stacked on top of each other. Requiring you to not need solid moving boxes.

Out of town moves <300 miles you NOT doing the driving: You are going to need boxes that have lids on them. You are also going to need moving blankets, You can use blankets from thrift stores.

• When you put your good on any type of semi-truck they are going to get bounced around a lot. This is mainly due to the suspension or lack of in the trailer. Good news is, its not that far of a distance so you should be fine,.

Any Move >300 miles PERIOD: Buy actual moving boxes. Lowe's and Home Depot boxes are ok for regional moved of under 1000 miles. If you are moving more than 1000 miles buy UHaul boxes. UHaul boxes are by far much more superior over Home Depot and Lowe's, plus they're about the same price.

• I'm confident that the items you are putting in the box is well wort many times the cost of the box. It sucks trying to skimp on boxes just to have your good broken, squashed and damaged when they arrive because you were determined to save some money on boxes. Be wise when buying specialty boxes. If a standard box will work, use it. Often specialty boxes are absurdly priced. If you have a flat panel TV and do not have the original box, try a picture or mirror box... they are much cheaper than a TV Box. Just be sure to wrap it up well.

Our move from Alaska this time was great. We loaded the truck ourselves and they drove it down. When loading a truck, be sure to get everything in there as tight as possible. It takes awhile to load, but the less movement the better shape your stuff will arrive. TRUST ME. I have moved over 10,000 miles, doing it on my own. This last move, we had no damage and t was the longest we have ever done. Remember, bubble wrap and blankets are your friends. If you are not comfortable dropping a box from waist high without having anything break.... it's not packed right.

Oh, and I kept many of my boxes that I moved with so I can use them later.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
Look at Craigslist.com go to the Tampa Area then look under "For Sale", there is a "FREE" catagory there. There were two listings for free moving boxes since the weekend. One said it would delete the ad once the boxes were gone, so they must still be there.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:55 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Downside to free boxes, sometimes you get stuck with a giant box that says something like "Valtrex". Then people dont know you are moving, they just think you are hoarding mass quantities of herpes medication.

In the past I have been able to spend less then 20-30 bucks at a home depot for boxes. moreso then anything else, it is convienient and easy to transport in your car because they come flat. I think you pay for the convenience rather then the boxes when you go to HD or lowes.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:09 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Downside to free boxes, sometimes you get stuck with a giant box that says something like "Valtrex". Then people dont know you are moving, they just think you are hoarding mass quantities of herpes medication.
Hahaha! That takes me back to one of my earliest moves when all of my boxes came from the Liquor store! Back then everything I had could be moved in two trips in my Mustang. I wonder now what my new neighbors must have thought seeing a 21 yr old girl unloading box after box of liquor into her new apartment.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:14 PM

158 posts, read 284,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post

In the past I have been able to spend less then 20-30 bucks at a home depot for boxes. moreso then anything else, it is convienient and easy to transport in your car because they come flat. I think you pay for the convenience rather then the boxes when you go to HD or lowes.
Lol, too funny. The Valtrex boxes will do just fine if you the type o person that doesn't care what other people think of you right...

Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM

113 posts, read 279,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Any Move >300 miles PERIOD: Buy actual moving boxes. Lowe's and Home Depot boxes are ok for regional moved of under 1000 miles. If you are moving more than 1000 miles buy UHaul boxes. UHaul boxes are by far much more superior over Home Depot and Lowe's, plus they're about the same price.
One thing I suggest if you buy moving boxes from U-Haul, dont buy any tape for the boxes there. I noticed that the tape they sell at U-Haul is cheap and one layer falls off so you have to triple tape it. Buy the moving box tape at Walmart, its much stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: