Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:12 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I'm a little curios why BRANDON Mall is being mentioned in a thread asking what the best mall in TAMPA is.
Because Brandon isn't a city in its own right and it seems as if the posters assumed OP meant the Tampa area. If we're going to get technical, only Westshore, International, and some of University Mall's parking lot is in Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,307 times
I like International Mall. It is the nicest (and most expensive), but for real shopping, I go local, which is Shops at Wiregrass in Wesley Chapel. Yes, I know it isn't Tampa, but pretty darn close. On the weekends at night, Wiregrass is nice to walk around outside and hear some live music. I don't know if it is every weekend they have live music. They have some nice restaurants and nice shops. Barnes and Nobles, JCPenney's, Macys, Chico's, J. Jill, Hot Topic for the teens, etc. You may have to circle around a bit for parking, but not such a big deal.

University Mall is just yuck! I don't know why anyone would opt to go there unless they are in a hurry to buy something quick and leave.

Citrus Mall is full of teens on weekend nights. It is smallish, not one I would vote as a really nice mall.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Quote:
I'm a little curios why BRANDON Mall is being mentioned in a thread asking what the best mall in TAMPA is.
Because it's located 5 mins away from downtown Tampa and offers the OP more choices.

Thanks for asking.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:12 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,295,988 times
I agree INTL is the nicest one around here...sometimes for convenience I go to Citrus Park, but their selection and JCPenney SUCKS royally, as a matter of fact , it seems like everything in that JCP is second hand! and their Macy's is not better either...but if I need a pair of beat up jeans for kids, it works.....Plus, the Mac store is at INTL...so....

Old 10-26-2010, 10:17 PM

156 posts, read 485,764 times
I also agree...International is definitely the nicest. Citrus Park is OK - I go there to shop at the stores they don't have at International (Like Dick's Sporting Goods). It is on the small side. So is Westshore. Westshore kind of "lost it's shine" for me when FAO Schwartz went belly up and left. (Early 2000s I believe) That was my main reason for going there. I had no kids at the time - am just a kid at heart.

Brandon Mall (who cares if it's technically in Brandon...it's a very short drive from downtown) has gotten a lot better stores in the last few years (maybe right around the time Westfield took it over?) It's also gotten bigger. I kind of like that area to shop at because not only is the mall there but the area immediately surrounding it has a lot of restaurants and shops that I go to.

University is a dump, sorry. I know they have tried in the last 3-4 years to "revitalize" it - new logo, new signage, etc. Doesn't matter...if you don't change the stores you have in there and the clientele that they attract, then a new logo is not going to prevent you from being stabbed in the parking lot.

I was at a trade show about a year and a half ago and the lady who was a marketing manager for University was there, giving out free pens and water. Her booth was next to mine, so we struck up a chat. She asked me when the last time I was at the mall...LOL...so I answered honestly that it had been years, and I explained why. She listened carefully and said "Well, we have redone the food court, and there's free Wi-Fi!" Oy.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:00 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Because it's located 5 mins away from downtown Tampa and offers the OP more choices.

Thanks for asking.
Except for the fact that Citrus Park is a carbon copy (ok, not quite) and actually has a Tampa address...

Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Quote:
Except for the fact that Citrus Park is a carbon copy (ok, not quite) and actually has a Tampa address...
What does that have to do with anything. You asked me why I included Westfield Brandon. BTW, I'm guessing Westfield is much closer to downtown Tampa than Citrus Park.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:32 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,566 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with anything. You asked me why I included Westfield Brandon. BTW, I'm guessing Westfield is much closer to downtown Tampa than Citrus Park.
It is. The crosstown practically dumps out into the mall parkinglot. literally, the highway ends in front of buffalo wild wings which is in the mall entrance, a road that wouldnt exist if it werent for the mall. downtown is prob about 8 miles or less (not even 8 minutes) east of there, and the crosstown runs smack through the middle of downtown.

In reality, if you live downtown, the brandon mall is more convenient then westshore and international plaza because you can avoid kennedy and dale mabry all together.

It is safe to say that this thread encompasses Tampa and surrounding burbs as malls are not like gas stations, and transcend zip code boundries. If the op wanted to know about the best gas station in tampa, i am not going to tell him about a gas station in st pete. there are 5 malls in the area, why not include them all?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:33 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
There's also Westfield Countryside. Westfield - Countryside Shopping Mall

Old 10-28-2010, 08:52 AM

156 posts, read 485,764 times
Quote:
BTW, I'm guessing Westfield is much closer to downtown Tampa than Citrus Park.
Yep, agree with craigm1841. I do think it's more convenient to go to Brandon than Citrus Park even though mileage wise, they are about the same distance from me. (Actually Brandon is about a half mile further) To get there I can take a few different routes, most of which involve major highways, whereas Citrus Park the only choice from here I have is Busch Blvd to Gunn Hwy or the Veterans if I happen to be near that.

I think that one of the important differences between those areas is that before they opened the Brandon Mall in 1995 there was really nothing to go out there for. So the infrastructure that has come since was kind of built around that. Whereas Citrus Park is more an established area with infrastructure/roads in place already, and they just happened to put a shopping mall there, if that makes sense...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay