Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 47,537 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if you could give me some insight on the drive from Tampa airport to Clearwater Beach. I am from a small city with easy driving. I can not decide if I should take a shuttle or taxi or if I would be okay renting a car.

I do not want to stress about driving but would like an honest opinion.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 01:39 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
I think you'll be okay either way. I think I'd want the rental car, though. Otherwise, how are you going to go exploring and then get back to the airport? From Tampa International Airport, get on Highway 60 West. Drive 60W all the way to the Gulf Of Mexico and voila, you're in Clearwater. It's probably less than 25 miles, with 10 miles of the total being on a 4-lane highway across the bay. It's tricky though with construction at TIA and changing lanes can be breathtaking during rush hour. I understand where you're coming from...I was from a small town in Tennessee before I moved to Tampa.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:55 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
If you are only planning on being on Clearwater Beach for your stay, you could take a Shuttle(Bay area shuttle). There is a trolley that takes you up and downt the 2 mile long Cleater Beach main strip,a nd then there is a public bus that goes the length of the entire Pinellas County beach communities(from Clearwater beach south to St. pete beach).

Old 04-13-2008, 11:14 AM

119 posts, read 524,660 times
Default Best time of day to drive to beach?

A couple of questions:

1. If we were planning to visit Clearwater beach from the downtown area sometime Thursday or Friday, what would be the easiest time, traffic-wise, to get out there? The earlier the better? Thursday easier than Friday? And how long does it really take to get there from downtown?

2. Are any Tampa area beaches more convenient to day-trippers? I know Clearwater Beach is great when you're staying at a hotel physically on the beach, but are there any beaches better for day trips?

Thank you!!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:34 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS1981 View Post
A couple of questions:

1. If we were planning to visit Clearwater beach from the downtown area sometime Thursday or Friday, what would be the easiest time, traffic-wise, to get out there? The earlier the better? Thursday easier than Friday? And how long does it really take to get there from downtown?

2. Are any Tampa area beaches more convenient to day-trippers? I know Clearwater Beach is great when you're staying at a hotel physically on the beach, but are there any beaches better for day trips?

Thank you!!
Going to Clearwater Beach from downtown Tampa would be fine either Thursday or Friday in non-rush hour times(7am-9am or 4pm to 7pm)....usually takes about 30 minutes with no traffic or accidents, so anytime after around 930am and coming abck to Tampa, you would want to make sure you get back into downtown Tampa by 330(leave Clearwater Beach by around 3pm), now this is all if you just want to avoid an extra 30 minutes of driving in traffic.

IMO, I would go to Pass-a-Grille Beach or even Ft DeSoto Park/Beach before I went to CLearwater Beach from downtown Tampa(just my preference). It's mostly all interstate(I-275), until the Pinellas Bay Way to the beach.

Tampa's beaches are Bay beaches(not as nice as the Gulf). There is one on the way to Clearwater Beach(Ben T Davis off 60 W Courtney Campbell Cswy), another off Cypress Avenue, west of Westshore Blvd(Cypress Point Park), and another at the end of Westshore Blvd/Commerce Blvd in South Tampa, about 2 miles South of Gandy Blvd(Picnic Island).

Old 04-27-2009, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 45,888 times
I wanted to know how long it takes t drive from Tampa Airport to Clearwater Beach? Also is there a flate rate taxi fare or is it metered, and roughly how much would a taxi cost and how much would a shuttle cost. I am travelling alone and I will be staying at a beachfront hotel. Please advise.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
IMO, I would go to Pass-a-Grille Beach or even Ft DeSoto Park/Beach before I went to CLearwater Beach from downtown Tampa(just my preference). It's mostly all interstate(I-275), until the Pinellas Bay Way to the beach. [/quote]

I think you would be happier going to Ft. DeSoto or Pass-a-grill. Clearwater is TRAFFIC heaven, especially on weekends. You have to fight for a parking spot and if you don't know the ins and outs of Clearwater beach area, you might get frustrated and it can be intimidating espcially at the roundabout, cars pulling in, exiting. I also like Anna Maria Island. At the end of that island is a nice restaurant called the Sandbar. It is right on the beach. You can stay all day, eat there and still be on the beach. They have some trees on the back edge of the beach, so you can get a little shade.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 33,733 times
We want to stay a few days in disney world then three days at a resort....on the beach for family of four. Any suggestions? Should we drive to Tampa or stay in Orlando. If we drove to Tampa we would plan on flying out from Tampa as well to go home back to OREGON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay