U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
15 posts, read 33,572 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

...Alright, I apologize in advance, but I'm essentially returning to the drawing board.

Earlier I'd been considering a move to the "Daytona Beach" area, but no matter how I've tried, in every image and video I've ever seen of the place, combined with other general information relating to normal life there, Daytona simply comes across as a very ugly and depressing city.

After again flirting around with the idea of reconsidering West Virginia, my attentions returned back to Florida: this time, Tampa.

The city proper seems to appeal to many aspects of what I'm best able to relate (weather, aesthetics, access to "big water", cosmopolitan enough without feeling overwhelming, etc.), so it quickly rose to the position of my top candidate.

But now I'm being made more aware of the other bay area cities, Clearwater & St. Petersburg, which I know even less about, but like much of what see there as well. So here's my dilemma....

I'm a man on what may be considered a Spartan budget. I'm a divorcee, in my 40s, living alone, just an ordinary "Low-End Joe," not highly skilled.

If I can find monthly rentals of 1BR or efficiency/studio apts for under the $500 mark (I've discovered that it is indeed possible in a few RARE instances in Tampa City), then it's quite possible I'd be able to swing it alone without having to go the "roommate" route. So naturally my first question will revolve around that issue: what sort of availability of such units is there in the bay area? (anything that can be held *BELOW* the $540 would earn consideration; under $525 even better) -- and what is the likelihood of having at least one utility covered under that arrangement? (most places I've rented have at least covered water/sewer; my current situation provides all the basics -- water/sewer, electric and gas)

Which areas should I absolutely avoid? I'd like to be able to enjoy a relatively quiet, unstressed existence without a lot of noise, crime, or all-around drama (pretty tall order, we know). It doesn't have to be dead to the world, but should be relatively pleasant without too many safety worries or relaxation disruptions.

I'm an incurable "night owl," so having access to 24-hour grocers, laundromats & eateries would be most beneficial to me.

And in case I'm not able to ship my motorcycle over with me, how extensive & reliable is/are the local transit system(s) in the area? And is/are the cost(s) reasonable?

Which city in the metro area would probably best suit my needs, based on these considerations?


Thank you very much for any input you are able to offer. Aloha.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2010, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
75 posts, read 314,404 times
Reputation: 31
There are a lot of questions there. Maybe I can answer some of them. I have lived in the Tampa Bay area for 10 years and Florida since 1979.

I think it might be hard to find an apartment for under $600-$650 in a half-decent area. That being said, since you don't mind a slightly slower pace than Tampa, Dunedin is next door to Clearwater and has many apartment complexes near by. Still, the price might be a few dollars over what you are looking to pay. I always liked Dunedin. Lots of little restaurants and festivals. As for places to avoid in Tampa Bay, there are way to many to list! I would not know where to start. There are web sites that show crime rates in different parts of Hillsborought (Tampa) County, and I am sure they exist for Pinellas (Clearwater / Dunedin) as well.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2010, 10:05 PM
 
707 posts, read 1,341,336 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk in Hawaii View Post
...Alright, I apologize in advance, but I'm essentially returning to the drawing board.

Earlier I'd been considering a move to the "Daytona Beach" area, but no matter how I've tried, in every image and video I've ever seen of the place, combined with other general information relating to normal life there, Daytona simply comes across as a very ugly and depressing city.

After again flirting around with the idea of reconsidering West Virginia, my attentions returned back to Florida: this time, Tampa.

The city proper seems to appeal to many aspects of what I'm best able to relate (weather, aesthetics, access to "big water", cosmopolitan enough without feeling overwhelming, etc.), so it quickly rose to the position of my top candidate.

But now I'm being made more aware of the other bay area cities, Clearwater & St. Petersburg, which I know even less about, but like much of what see there as well. So here's my dilemma....

I'm a man on what may be considered a Spartan budget. I'm a divorcee, in my 40s, living alone, just an ordinary "Low-End Joe," not highly skilled.

If I can find monthly rentals of 1BR or efficiency/studio apts for under the $500 mark (I've discovered that it is indeed possible in a few RARE instances in Tampa City), then it's quite possible I'd be able to swing it alone without having to go the "roommate" route. So naturally my first question will revolve around that issue: what sort of availability of such units is there in the bay area? (anything that can be held *BELOW* the $540 would earn consideration; under $525 even better) -- and what is the likelihood of having at least one utility covered under that arrangement? (most places I've rented have at least covered water/sewer; my current situation provides all the basics -- water/sewer, electric and gas)

Which areas should I absolutely avoid? I'd like to be able to enjoy a relatively quiet, unstressed existence without a lot of noise, crime, or all-around drama (pretty tall order, we know). It doesn't have to be dead to the world, but should be relatively pleasant without too many safety worries or relaxation disruptions.

I'm an incurable "night owl," so having access to 24-hour grocers, laundromats & eateries would be most beneficial to me.

And in case I'm not able to ship my motorcycle over with me, how extensive & reliable is/are the local transit system(s) in the area? And is/are the cost(s) reasonable?

Which city in the metro area would probably best suit my needs, based on these considerations?


Thank you very much for any input you are able to offer. Aloha.

I dont think Tampa would fit your needs. 24hr grocers and laundry mats and eateries are rare. By rare I mean only superwalmart is open 24hrs. There really isnt a transit system however possible a light rail and highspeed rail are going to be built, but that wont be finished until at least 2014/2015. Under $540 is rare, hell even under $650 is rare. The places I did find under that price are not places I would recommend anyone live at. Most of those places under that price have ALOT of section 8 renters...Most places under that price do not include any utilities.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 AM
 
22,564 posts, read 33,472,955 times
Reputation: 22100
There are some options out there in Pinellas County that aren't in bad areas. I sent you some rental listings via private message.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2010, 07:00 AM
 
13,772 posts, read 35,174,377 times
Reputation: 10629
I think Pinellas might work better for you, more for the night issue since that is where the tourist are. You can find an apt in your price range as long as you don't mind it being a small complex probably without a pool. There are some in Tampa that are modular apts. You can also probably rent a mobile home in a decent area too.

You won't find them onlne in apt websites though. Check out TBO.com.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2010, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 28,017,797 times
Reputation: 14611
How do you survive in Hawaii? I'd love to live there. I lived there in the 1970s - miss it. But it is too expensive and too confined (island fever) for me. We have some really nice beaches here and the weather isn't unbearable really. There are a lot of things here that Hawaii doesn't have - like pro sports and affordable golf. Utility costs might be tough for you with your budget - same with the h20 bill. So be careful with those costs.

I'd look at St Pete Beach for a bungalow or something in downtown St Pete cheaper apartment. Not the greatest nightlife and nighttime groceries, but you can find them in the area. Bus routes in that area as well. Might find work in St Pete/Clearwater as well.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2010, 06:45 PM
 
282 posts, read 344,895 times
Reputation: 714
How many remember the Good Old Days, when if you wanted to Live and Eat Cheap you Went to The BEACH!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 PM
 
1,500 posts, read 2,934,322 times
Reputation: 1228
You can probably do safe cheap, or near downtown where you don't need transport, but the 24-hour will be hard to find in Florida, not just here. And matching all 3 of your criteria, well you might have been better off with Daytona where you can probably find something over by the beach for $500.

Even when I lived in south Florida we only had an Albertson's that used to be 24-hour but switched back to like 1 or 2 am. Though there are more diners down there open 24/7. But then the rents and cost of living generally are higher.

Probably Daytona has some late night diners because of the tourists there. I'd look to rent up towards their Publix supermarket near the beach, that way you could do most of your grocery shopping without a car and you'd just need a bicycle to get to all the action. What I do like very much about Daytona is that the beach is so very accessible to the public. South Florida used to be more like that. No longer though.

Here's one example I found on Craigslist in St. Pete that looks like a safe are though someone else who knows better might chime in. Problem though is it looks far from downtown.

Nice apartment , New Tile, North Saint Petersburg (http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/apa/2032362173.html - broken link)

As far as utilities go, you might get water, sewer & trash but it would be unusual to find a place with electric which can be pricey here. And though you'd be in small square footage, at that price you'll probably have wall units which can draw more than their share of power. Mostly you'll want the air running at least summer nights so you can sleep comfortably.

Here's one in Daytona near that shopping plaza I mentioned. They are asking $600. Probably you can find less on Craigslist.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/436-Auburn-Dr_Daytona-Beach_FL_32118_M55331-16704

Here's one advertising all utilities near beach in Daytona though I've no idea as to the character of the area...

DAYTONA BEACHSIDE EFFICIENCY (http://daytona.craigslist.org/apa/2032447704.html - broken link)

You might try other places in Florida too like Cocoa Beach where you'll find more stuff by beach for under $600 (though it is less touristy than Daytona so probably less late night stuff).

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Cocoa-Beach_Fl_32931_M64305-83470

And here's on on Miami Beach which actually might fit all your criteria, however, should the market improve (not likely within a few years if ever), you'd probably find yourself priced out. Also if you pay for private health insurance, it is more expensive there.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5445-Collins-Av-Unit-1703_Miami-Beach_FL_33140_M65216-18850
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2010, 12:18 AM
 
707 posts, read 1,341,336 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
You can probably do safe cheap, or near downtown where you don't need transport, but the 24-hour will be hard to find in Florida, not just here. And matching all 3 of your criteria, well you might have been better off with Daytona where you can probably find something over by the beach for $500.


Thats what suprised me the most living here in Tampa that the only 24hr things are CVS....I come from a smallish town in Rochester NY and even our grocery store in that town is 24hrs..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2010, 04:58 AM
 
22,564 posts, read 33,472,955 times
Reputation: 22100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Thats what suprised me the most living here in Tampa that the only 24hr things are CVS....I come from a smallish town in Rochester NY and even our grocery store in that town is 24hrs..
Albertsons was a 24 hour grocery store, though since going out of business seemingly no other grocery store wants to fill that void. In this economic time when companies are cutting payroll costs it's not likely any company would be looking to expand their operating hours. If it were profitable yes, though I can't imagine that staffing costs and loss due to shoplifting (or worse) are covered by the smattering of night owls roaming the aisles and the occasional sale of a gallon of milk, etc. There are 7-Eleven stores that one can get essentials in 24 hours a day. Otherwise most grocery stores are open from 8am-10pm which would allow for most people to get it together to go buy groceries one would think.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top