Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 04:31 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Thats at SUNY schools. I did not attend a SUNY school. I attended a community college in which you sign this form only and get it notorized no documents, once I was declared a resident their I do not need to provide documents to the university.

http://www.monroecc.edu/webdocs/rescert.pdf
I don't think that too many people are going to be trying to get around a residency requirement to go to Monroe Community College. I am sure MCC realizes that also.

They still have a 12 month residency requirement though and in filling out the paperwork you are stating that you have been a NYS resident for a year.

If you are even from outside that county you need to also get a Certificate of Residency from your county treasurer and turn that in to the school.

Yes, you lived in Monroe County and went to HS there so it wasn't too hard for the registrar at MCC to look at the transcript and realize you were a resident.
If someone came in with a transcript from a Lexington, KY H.S. and tried to claim residency they are probably going to question it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 04:42 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I don't think that too many people are going to be trying to get around a residency requirement to go to Monroe Community College. I am sure MCC realizes that also.

They still have a 12 month residency requirement though and in filling out the paperwork you are stating that you have been a NYS resident for a year.

If you are even from outside that county you need to also get a Certificate of Residency from your county treasurer and turn that in to the school.

Yes, you lived in Monroe County and went to HS there so it wasn't too hard for the registrar at MCC to look at the transcript and realize you were a resident.
If someone came in with a transcript from a Lexington, KY H.S. and tried to claim residency they are probably going to question it.

Actually I was unschooled. I never went to any type of school until college.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:43 PM

58 posts, read 147,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisredfield96 View Post
I am going to call them Monday and confirm what I can provide is good enough. I just need to make sure I can get in after 12 months, I cant have what happened to CheerBaby happen to me.
Yeah. Just make sure to talk to the cashier's office. Financial office will just confuse you, like they did me.

I've been going part time to HCC (out of state rates), and they said once I get four documents that have been valid over 12 months (in my case I have 5: utility bills, voters card, declaration of domicile, driver's license, and car registrations) I'll get in state rates. Just a fyi, they don't count cable/internet/etc. as utility bills. They want water, electric, etc..

Old 11-06-2010, 05:07 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyice View Post
Yeah. Just make sure to talk to the cashier's office. Financial office will just confuse you, like they did me.

I've been going part time to HCC (out of state rates), and they said once I get four documents that have been valid over 12 months (in my case I have 5: utility bills, voters card, declaration of domicile, driver's license, and car registrations) I'll get in state rates. Just a fyi, they don't count cable/internet/etc. as utility bills. They want water, electric, etc..

The cashiers office does not make this decision. I don't trust anyone at HCC. My fiance is still awaiting his loan that he applied for at the beginning of Fall Semester which was supposed to be here in September yet its not. The school knows nothing. The best place to get information is speaking to the dean which I spoke to after my 2nd appeal. If you talk to anyone else but the dean make sure you get information in writing and signed and dated or else they can take back what they said.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:16 PM

113 posts, read 279,232 times
Quote:
Oh so you are saying I can attend college immediately part time if I want and pay out of state rates, then once my 12 mos are up I can pay in state rates? That's how it is in my current state, you can take 6 credits or so for 12 mos. I was thinking that in Florida you couldn't take any classes for an entire year until you establish residency, and if you take any classes at all within that 12 mos you will never be able to establish residency (unless at one point you were not taking classes for 12 straight mos.

I have no problem with paying out of state rates for 1 or 2 classes for 12 mos, I must have misunderstood the requirements for FL.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:39 PM

58 posts, read 147,859 times
Quote:
The cashiers office does not make this decision. I don't trust anyone at HCC. My fiance is still awaiting his loan that he applied for at the beginning of Fall Semester which was supposed to be here in September yet its not. The school knows nothing. The best place to get information is speaking to the dean which I spoke to after my 2nd appeal. If you talk to anyone else but the dean make sure you get information in writing and signed and dated or else they can take back what they said.
Yes I know they don't make the decision, but they seemingly know about they are talking about. As for loans, I got mine right on time, and they even contacted me to notify me of something I forgot to hand in. So I disagree that "the school knows nothing."

OP, if you call the HCC cashier's office, reference the green reclassification packet (they should know what that is). On the first page of the packet, it states:

Quote:
Twelve Things You NEED to Know about Residency Reclassification

1. Residency Reclassification criteria are established by Florida law and Florida Department of Education regulations. The Admissions, Registration and Record's Office CANNOT waive State/DOE criteria for ANY reason.

2. Living in Florida for a year or longer DOES NOT automatically qualify you for in-state tuition (Florida residency).

3. Under Florida law, there is a difference between being a 'Florida Resident' and being a 'Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes.'

4. To be considered a 'Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes, you MUST prove through OFFICIAL and/or LEGAL documents that you have moved to Florida permanently and not merely living in Florida temporarily while you attend HCC.

5. All supporting documents (for example: driver's license, vehicle registration, voter registration card) MUST be dated 12 COMPLETE MONTHS prior to the first day of the term for the requested reclassification term. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this requirement.

6. The Admissions, Registration and Record's Office CANNOT consider personal justifications for documents not meeting the 12-month requirement. For example: "I have one now, but I did not get a driver's license when I moved here a year ago because..." CANNOT be considered.

7. Leases and employment verification show physical presence only. By themselves they do not qualify you for residency reclassification.

8. Ties to another state or country WILL DISQUALIFY you from Residency Reclassification.

9. Evidence that you are the financial dependent of an out-of-state resident MAY DISQUALIFY you from Residency Reclassification.

10. Financial hardship CANNOT be considered in Residency Reclassification.

11. Despite the length of time you attend HCC, you MAY NOT qualify for 'Florida Residency for Tuition Purposes.'

12. You can learn more about Residency Reclassification requirements from your current catalog or online at http://www.facts.orqlhtml_sw/residencyGuidelines.htm (broken link)
This was from the packet that they gave me the latest time I went there. Pretty much, the major point of all that was point #5 (12 months prior from the point you want to be reclassified from an out-of-state student to an in state student). I am not sure what #11 means, though, so I again just chatted live with a HCC representative, who again told me the same thing that many people have been telling me.

OP, I see you are going to be the same boat as me, so I'll upload it so you can see:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3...ification1.png

Hope that helps. Because it sure helps me.

Definitely don't take my word for this confusing matter. Contact that school yourself to make sure.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:09 PM

113 posts, read 279,232 times
Quote:

OP, I see you are going to be the same boat as me, so I'll upload it so you can see:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3...ification1.png

Hope that helps. Because it sure helps me.

Definitely don't take my word for this confusing matter. Contact that school yourself to make sure.
Thats great to know, I was pissed cuz I thought I had to wait an entire year and then there was still a chance of getting denied residency. Maybe what happened to Cheer was an isolated incident. I will still make sure I get this in writing like you did, thanks.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:29 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Actually I was unschooled. I never went to any type of school until college.
Immunization records, GED test scores, parents tax records, etc.

There was some record of you being in NY and I don't know why you insist on making it seem as if you walked in off the street, signed one paper and then started school.

Fact is that most states have similar rules in place if someone wants resident tuition rates.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:13 PM

162 posts, read 677,385 times
My son did it after one year with no problem. He was classified as an independent based on age. He had been attending college in another state until he decided to follow us and move here.

After one year of enrollment here at out of state rates (he only took 2 classes at a time) he applied for in-state rates. Yes he did have to provide a lot of paperwork, voter's registration, license, auto registration, etc. He did not have to provide any proof regarding a lease or utility bills, etc. because he was living at home. Again, his age is what classified him as independent.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned when people here are stating the hoops they felt they had to jump through to prove residency for tuition purposes .....employment. My son worked the minimum 30 hours per week at a job here during that time. That was also one of the things he had to provide proof of. He had to get a letter from his HR department stating his start date and that he worked a minimum of 30 hours per week. If what the others are saying about their difficulties is true, then this is the one thing my son did different and when he applied it was one of the things listed on the "proof" list.

It may have been what put him over the top. But they approved it on the first attempt at one year.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
I am not reading this entire thread- but as we established in an earlier thread covering this topic, it is 12 months. It is a Florida statute, and has nothing to do with the school. That is the law, and it is that way because state schools recieve public funding and have to abide by FL Statutes.

The second you fill out an I-4 for employment in FL, you are considered a resident. If you want to go to school down here and dont want to pay out of state rates, take a job to make ends meet for a year before starting school. A lot of people do it. Dont listen to the short bus people on this forum that spew uneducated, unconfirmed garbage. Why anyone even gives wrong answers to ANYTHING on the internet in the age of google is beyond me. Sometimes I think people need to put down their platter of lead paint chips and step away from the computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: