Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:15 PM

40 posts, read 170,696 times

Advertisements

OK, so I've got my new job and we'll be moving to Tampa in the next 2 months. My new job is in Temple Terrace just South of Lettuce Lark Park/ E Fletcher Ave.

I have a wife and baby so we are looking for a nice 4 BR home to rent (preferably with a pool) in a good neighborhood. We'd like to have somewhat ??? easy access to the beach and will be going down to Sarasota to visit family frequently. Any recommendations on where to live?

I'm kinda flying blind as we have only been to Tampa once and didn't get to look around a lot, so I am trying to learn the area via the Internet. We've spent some time in Sarasota and would prefer to live there but the commute would be just too far from Sarasota to Temple Terrace.

What about Westchase or Town N Country? Good neighborhoods? How would the commute be from that side over to Temple Terrace?

Where would you suggest to live?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:33 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Why don't you just live in Temple Terrace? I think it's a beautiful neighborhood. If I worked there, I would just live right there.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
Try New Tampa and yes, Bruce B Downs is getting better for the traffic. Also within a 4 mile Wesley
Chapel is real nice. Meadow Point, Seven Oaks and Quail Hollow have great and safe for all. We also have great stores for food and to shop. Wiregrass
etc. Publix and Sweetbay. Your cost to rent a 4 br with pool may run 1500 per month. Then factor in the electic etc. Sarasota the compute would
wear you out with Traffic. Also I really do not see with 3 people the need to have 4 bedrooms and a pool? I would say save and buy? Many places here
also offer a pool with the HOA . A pool also is costly here electric etc., and the upkeep. for the Sarasota drive 54 in Wesley Chapel and Seven Oaks both
have the I 75! Live as a king or save for the future.

Last edited by maggiekate; 11-09-2010 at 07:44 PM..

Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 PM

156 posts, read 485,994 times
Agreed on Temple Terrace. I live there now near the golf course and it's a great area. Very quiet, clean, and great for families with kids. Quite a few older people but they actually make pretty good neighbors. There are mostly houses (versus apartments or condos) so finding a place that meets your description shouldn't be hard. Many of the houses in the area have pools.

Also, if you are going to be traveling to Sarasota frequently, I-75 is right there (literally) straight shot down which will take you about an hour if you are traveling the speed limit and traffic is not bad. (Usually it isn't unless it's rush hour/the holidays and people going to the Brandon Mall etc)

The beach is a little further, but there are not really any beaches in Tampa per se, at least not nice ones. Clearwater Beach, which is very nice, is close. I made the trip from Temple Terrace to Clearwater every day when I worked over there...it's around 26 miles one way but it's interstate driving so it's not too bad. The rest of the Gulf beaches are over in that direction as well and not far from Clearwater (Sand Key Beach, Indian Shores, etc.)

Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
Yeah, look around Temple Terrace first. If nothing there, you can expand into New Tampa or something.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 AM

OK thanks for the advice. I don't see a lot posted on Craigslist for Temple Terrace but will keep an eye on more often. The reason I need a 4br is so we can have a guest room for the parents to see the new baby and an office as I work from home frequently. Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
Just double-check where every listing is located. Temple Terrace is bordered by some rough parts of Tampa and sometimes the problems spill over. I don't know the best areas for certain, but I think you want to stay east of 56th Street.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:20 AM

Ok good to know. It looks like the houses in Temple Terrace are older with no new builds. Is that correct?

Old 11-11-2010, 09:40 AM

156 posts, read 485,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamehameha View Post
Ok good to know. It looks like the houses in Temple Terrace are older with no new builds. Is that correct?
In some areas. It's an established neighborhood that has been around for a while but not everything there is older...it really depends.

For example, if you go to Google maps and you take a virtual stroll one of the longer streets, say for example, N. Riverhills Dr, you see a pretty good mix of older brick type homes (older meaning built in the 1970 or 1980s from the looks of the architecture). Then you have some larger homes which are clearly 1990s-2000s style, wanna-be McMansions. There are some new-ish homes (meaning in the last 5 year) builds as well. I'm trying to think if there is a particular area where there are a cluster of new houses because I know I have seen one, but I don't recall where. I'll have to pay more attention when I'm out on my bike next as to where I saw those...

Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,872 times
l am halil . l am turkish person . l have been living for a few months in the usa . my wife is an american . l need a job around here . l am 32 and l finished high school . Thanks .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay