Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 PM

239 posts, read 671,115 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Tampa Bay area and I spent the past week visiting schools there. We are looking for a non-traditional school that focuses more on whole child development rather than strict academics. I visited:

Suncoast Waldorf-Palm Harbor (Loved it but no after care)
Safety Harbor Montessori-Safety Harbor
Montessori House Day School-Erlich Road, Tampa
Independent Day School-Tampa
Carrollwood Day School-Tampa

I am interested in hearing any comments about the first four and particularly Safety Harbor Montessori. I was impressed by the school but I have heard both good and bad comments.

PS: Carrollwood was a bit too "prep school" for us but very nice for someone looking for that environment.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:09 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Did you check out Palm Harbor Montessori? Palm Harbor Montessori

Old 11-10-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Did you check out Palm Harbor Montessori? Palm Harbor Montessori
Thank you Kyle...No we did not. Do you know anything about it? I will check it out. We were trying to stay as close to the bay side as possible as I have to work in DT Tampa. We really didn't look much in Palm Harbor (other than the Waldorf which we know).

Do you live in Palm Harbor? What do you think about the commute from the Pinellas side to DT Tampa? Doable? (albeait not without a great deal of patience).

We had pretty much settled on Safety Harbor but now I am thinking we should check out Palm Harbor as well.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:05 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I don't know anything about the school in particular other than it's well rated.
Palm Harbor Montessori Academy - Palm Harbor, Florida - FL - School overview

I don't live in Palm Harbor, rather the East Lake Woodlands area in Oldsmar which I would recommend in your situation as well. Oldsmar sits squarely at the north end of Tampa Bay in Pinellas County and is a direct commute down 580/Hillsborough Ave into downtown Tampa. It's 15 miles into downtown and the worst case scenario for me to get to Westshore Plaza is 40 minutes, usually around 25-30 minutes.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:16 AM

93 posts, read 258,292 times
if you are going downtown for work check out montessori children house of hyde park. our son goes there and absolutely loves it. it is actually the only truly accredited montessori school in tampa.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 AM

okay...checked out Palm Harbor Montessori on line and called to make an appointment. It looks fabulous. I read the reviews and the only bad review said "no tests, no homework, horrible"!

I called immediately LOL!!!!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvalle View Post
if you are going downtown for work check out montessori children house of hyde park. our son goes there and absolutely loves it. it is actually the only truly accredited montessori school in tampa.
Thanks for posting jdvalle. Is that an elementary school or only primary? My son is in 1st grade. I didn't see any elementary Montessori schools in South Tampa which is why we ruled it out. If there is one...I totally want to know!!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvalle View Post

WOW...I just checked it out. You are right, it is AMI! I didn't see any other AMI accredited (only AMS). IMO, there is a difference. What grade is your son in?

Old 11-05-2011, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,468 times
Default Safety Harbor Montessori Academy- great for us!

Hi- just wanted to weigh in here, as my daughter recently graduated from Safety Harbor Montessori Academy (2011) and is now in the International Baccalaureate program at Palm Harbor University High School and doing extremely well there in great part due to everything she gained from her years at SHMA.

She started at Safety Harbor Montessori at age two and continued on through Middle School there. I have nothing but good things to say about the school. The teachers, staff and school administrators are extremely caring and always put the child first in every way. My daughter continues to shine brightly today because she was made to feel important, intelligent and self-sufficient there.

Because of her education and the ways in which she was supported at SHMA, my daughter was extremely well-prepared to meet the rigors of the IB program and is excelling at PHUHS. Her entire school experience at SHMA, but especially the Middle School program there, helped her to become the organized and successful girl that she is today. I have no doubt that she will go on to do whatever she wants in life because she is confident, smart and supported in her dreams for the future.

If you are looking for a school that will nurture and feed your child's mind and spirit and help them to become the very best that they can be, Safety Harbor Montessori is a great school to consider for your family.

I miss having my daughter at the school. It was a great experience for our family, and I hope you will consider the school for yours. I feel sure that you will love it as much as we did.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,570 times
I am curious to know what school you chose? We are traveling to Tampa next week to consider relocation for my husband's job, and we will be visiting schools. Our children are at a lovely AMI Montessori school here in Houston, and I am hesitant to give that up, but I would for the right school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay