U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 01:54 PM

670 posts, read 1,127,396 times

Advertisements

I am so confused and would like feedback on staying put here in Florida or moving back North. Job wise it seems like my best bet for now, cost of living wise, it is definitely more expensive in Northern VA but there is a good school system for the kids. I am starting to feel discouraged here. Thoughts please? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 PM

186 posts, read 441,895 times
I do not know much about Tampa but I know alot about Northern Va, have lived here for 16 years ....

1 Yes the schools are excellant
2 the cost of living is very high.. housing is very expensive,taxes are high
3.traffic....worse than you can even imagine....10 miles can take a hour...and it is getting worse...
4.the weather stinks...hot and humid in the summer ..cold in the winter if it snows all bets are off
5. Job market is good but that depends on what you do...
6.It is a fast paced hectic life....with a lot of 'keeping up with the Jones"

Old 11-11-2010, 05:16 AM

22,452 posts, read 33,300,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
I am so confused and would like feedback on staying put here in Florida or moving back North. Job wise it seems like my best bet for now, cost of living wise, it is definitely more expensive in Northern VA but there is a good school system for the kids. I am starting to feel discouraged here. Thoughts please? Thanks!
If you're having trouble finding a job it's worth considering, but as the other post points out, Northern Virginia area has a lot of negatives. The traffic alone would send me over the edge. Perhaps consider another area with job opportunity, a lower cost of living, less congestion and excellent schools? If you have family in that area and want to be close/closer to them maybe think about Richmond. It has the criteria you're looking for and it's still close to Northern Virginia (hour and a half). Check out the Midlothian area.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 AM

436 posts, read 1,008,131 times
I'm originally from NOVA myself and am considering a move to Florida. (I'm in Canada right now.) I have a love/hate relationship with the DC area. I think it all comes down to where in NOVA you're living. If you're going to live outside of the beltway, my advice is to forget that plan right now. People live far out in an attempt to save money (which they do on housing); however, the money you'll spend on commuting and the years the stress will take off your life aren't worth it. For me, it's Arlington or bust. If I ever live in the area again, which is doubtful, I would only consider Arlington. DC is great to have nearby but is not safe at all. The rest of NOVA is full of traffic-clogged highways.

When I lived in Arlington and worked in DC I could go weeks without touching my car, which is rare (and awesome) in NOVA. I lived 1.5 miles from a Metro station and was able to walk or bus to it. If my wife and I went into the city, we'd take the Metro. The only time I had to drive was when I went west to see family/friends.

The downside of Arlington? Price! The houses are ridiculously expensive. For that reason, I'd recommend downsizing to a small condo/townhouse. If you want a house, Arlington is out of many peoples' price range. Really sad because it's such a great little city.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 AM

22,452 posts, read 33,300,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
I'm originally from NOVA myself and am considering a move to Florida. (I'm in Canada right now.) I have a love/hate relationship with the DC area. I think it all comes down to where in NOVA you're living. If you're going to live outside of the beltway, my advice is to forget that plan right now. People live far out in an attempt to save money (which they do on housing); however, the money you'll spend on commuting and the years the stress will take off your life aren't worth it. For me, it's Arlington or bust. If I ever live in the area again, which is doubtful, I would only consider Arlington. DC is great to have nearby but is not safe at all. The rest of NOVA is full of traffic-clogged highways.

When I lived in Arlington and worked in DC I could go weeks without touching my car, which is rare (and awesome) in NOVA. I lived 1.5 miles from a Metro station and was able to walk or bus to it. If my wife and I went into the city, we'd take the Metro. The only time I had to drive was when I went west to see family/friends.

The downside of Arlington? Price! The houses are ridiculously expensive. For that reason, I'd recommend downsizing to a small condo/townhouse. If you want a house, Arlington is out of many peoples' price range. Really sad because it's such a great little city.

I agree with everything you mentioned except for your assertion that DC isn't safe. Stop drinking the "only suburbia is safe" kool-aid!

Myself and others I know that have either lived in DC or still do, have haven't had any issues with living there in terms of personal safety. I've lived in Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, Adams Morgan and Capitol Hill without incident to myself or anyone I knew. Like any urban area if one exercises street-smarts your odds of falling victim are fairly low.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 AM

436 posts, read 1,008,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree with everything you mentioned except for your assertion that DC isn't safe. Stop drinking the "only suburbia is safe" kool-aid!

Myself and others I know that have either lived in DC or still do, have haven't had any issues with living there in terms of personal safety. I've lived in Dupont, Logan Circle, Adams Morgan and Capitol Hill without incident to myself or anyone I knew. Like any urban area if one exercises street-smarts your odds of falling victim are fairly low.
DC does have safe parts (Dupont as you mentioned). However, one does not have to walk far to get into sketchy, then unsafe parts. Arlington was great because you could walk anywhere, for miles, in the city and still be safe. It is built like a small city so it avoids the trap of suburbia as well.

I wouldn't live in Capitol Hill. Forget taking a nice stroll at night.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:52 PM

670 posts, read 1,127,396 times
I appreciate all of you all's feedback. I am gonna just let go and let God direct my steps. I really would like to stay here in Florida and praying that it all will work out. You all have reminded me of why I left NOVA in the first place and I dont EVER in life want to deal with the traffic in that area ever again. Tampa Bay doesnt have any traffic in my opinion compared to DC because there are so many alternative non congested routes one can take. I have a very comfortable life here and am just hopeful that the job market will improve to keep me here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or