Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:41 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times

Advertisements

so I was right, not only you cannot state anything bad about Tampa on this board, (bad meaning the weather, amenities and some of the inhabitants around) but you guys cannot handle other people's opinions! WOW! what a bunch of babies! "ohh I will take my sand toys and run away"! attitude!

I have to forcefully agree and be bashed and my posts bashed with all your opinions, and "I" have to take that.....but I am no allowed to state my opinion? WOW......talk about censorship.......go ahead Keeper delete this post too...promoter of censorship and trespasser of the FIRST AMENDMENT!! I am DISGUSTED with this board, I really am and with the retarded policies. Pathetic. Do as I say but not as I do crap!

Yeah the beaches look amazing... to look at...big deal, so is Hawaii! Key West......still boooooooring! who said anything about raising kids in Vegas? The OP didn't elaborate on what "fun" stuff they were looking for....

So, you are allowed to bash Phoenix? in other words, you are ALLOWED to NOT LIKE Phoenix? and "I" am NOT Allowed to NOT like Tampa? please elaborate on that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig.....I don't know if you realized, but you my dear have been bashing the suburbs for over a year now........maybe you should go back and read up on your stuff.

BTW, IF WHOMEVER CREATED THE INTERFACE OF THIS BOARD DID NOT WANT PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO EMPHASIZE, THEY WOULD NOT HAVE ALLOWED ANY KIND OF FORMATTING.....THINK ABOUT IT...IF I USE CAPS, YOU THINK I AM YELLING, IF I DON'T AND I USE BOLD YOU THINK I AM ARGUMENTATIVE? REALLY? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 05:43 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
algia,

Nobody is arguing with you. Nobody is angry or upset. The Tampa Bay area has a lot to offer in comparison to many other cities of its size. I hate to see people excited about the prospect of moving to Tampa and you enter their thread with negativity. You have to understand, these people are our potential future neighbors, clients, business owners, and members of our community. I think it is only fair to provide them information on our beautiful city and not squash their dream of moving here.

I have spent a lot of time all over the country, and Tampa is easily one of the better places I have been. Is it perfect? No, of course not. Is it alright to share the things that aren't so great about our city? Of course... but some people, including you continually unnecessarily bash this town. If you hate Tampa so much, don't spend so much time posting on a web forum about it.

I never meant to make anyone angry- But I think it is relevant to discredit some of what you were saying, because frankly- it was not true. You should want people to move here. Diversity and the quasi-transient nature of this city is one of the things that make it so great. I love meeting a new person that has lived in another place- I especially love meeting people from where I have previously lived. I think we owe it to ourselves and other CD members to provide an honest yet objective point of view and information in regards to their questions.

In reference to me not liking Phoenix- I dont. That is why I live in Tampa, not Phoenix. I also dont spend one second of time in the Phoenix forum telling people how bad it is. I do bash the burbs... a lot of time I am trying to bring some humor to the table, but my primary problem with the suburbs is that it is filled with Tampa haters, and I believe they are Tampa haters because they LIVE IN the suburbs. And the only reason I mentioned raising kids in Vegas is because you mentioned that Vegas would be better then tampa... and they have a one year old son.

Keeper does a great job of putting me in my place when I get a little loud with members on this forum- and rightfully so. I can run my mouth, so to speak, and I have been corrected. This is a free service, and a great one at that- we may not always agree with the terms and conditions of the forums, but there is a little red X on the top right of your browser if you dont like it- I hope Keeper lets these two posts live, and I hope this thread does not get locked. I think two off-topic posts here are necessary for the OP to understand the dynamics of the members of this thread to gain an understanding of what information they can take to the bank when it is time to ultimately make their decision.

I dont dislike anyone here, and again, I never intended to fire anyone up. My sole intention was to ensure the truth prevailed for the sake of the Original Poster, and the rest of the community.

On that note- Back on Topic ---> I am going to get dressed and enjoy an awesome night out in this great town. Maybe Ceviche, Maybe MacDintons. The weather is PERFECT and the women are beautiful OP, If you have any nightlife questions, I am your guy!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:25 PM

158 posts, read 284,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
algia,

I have spent a lot of time all over the country, and Tampa is easily one of the better places I have been. Is it perfect? No, of course not. Is it alright to share the things that aren't so great about our city? Of course... but some people, including you continually unnecessarily bash this town. If you hate Tampa so much, don't spend so much time posting on a web forum about it.

And the only reason I mentioned raising kids in Vegas is because you mentioned that Vegas would be better then tampa... and they have a one year old son.
In my opinion, I think as someone moving there and hoping to find useful information on CD, it is extremely helpful to read on here all the posts from people living in and around Tampa are willing to write. I do enjoy reading the more positive information that is given. I can appreciate information offered that is not so positive as well as long as it is useful, but to read negative post after negative post really gets old and does make me wonder why this person would choose to live in a place they don't enjoy. I dont love where I live which is why I am moving but I would NEVER sit on CD and tell the world why I can't stand the city I chose to live in and post every bad thing possible about the place.

As for the Vegas comment, I have a 10 year old and would have to agree with Craig. I would not raise my son at his age even there in Vegas. That's just me though.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:14 AM

69 posts, read 86,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
so I was right, not only you cannot state anything bad about Tampa on this board, (bad meaning the weather, amenities and some of the inhabitants around) but you guys cannot handle other people's opinions! WOW! what a bunch of babies! "ohh I will take my sand toys and run away"! attitude!

I have to forcefully agree and be bashed and my posts bashed with all your opinions, and "I" have to take that.....but I am no allowed to state my opinion? WOW......talk about censorship.......go ahead Keeper delete this post too...promoter of censorship and trespasser of the FIRST AMENDMENT!! I am DISGUSTED with this board, I really am and with the retarded policies. Pathetic. Do as I say but not as I do crap!

Yeah the beaches look amazing... to look at...big deal, so is Hawaii! Key West......still boooooooring! who said anything about raising kids in Vegas? The OP didn't elaborate on what "fun" stuff they were looking for....

So, you are allowed to bash Phoenix? in other words, you are ALLOWED to NOT LIKE Phoenix? and "I" am NOT Allowed to NOT like Tampa? please elaborate on that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig.....I don't know if you realized, but you my dear have been bashing the suburbs for over a year now........maybe you should go back and read up on your stuff.

BTW, IF WHOMEVER CREATED THE INTERFACE OF THIS BOARD DID NOT WANT PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO EMPHASIZE, THEY WOULD NOT HAVE ALLOWED ANY KIND OF FORMATTING.....THINK ABOUT IT...IF I USE CAPS, YOU THINK I AM YELLING, IF I DON'T AND I USE BOLD YOU THINK I AM ARGUMENTATIVE? REALLY? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Come on Algia, make my night, say something positive about Tampa.. It's cold, dark and miserable over here right now and if I can believe you are happy right now it will bring me much more hope and belief in this world!!
We are all friends on here so please don't get upset like you have above..and Just remember santa is watching!!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Wowee, does this thread have it all!

Bottom line, if this is the kind of place you love, you will love this place. If not, you won't.

Last week I had to fly out of Tampa International, one of the nicest and most well-designed airports I've seen, to come back North. Yes we've had some beautiful purplish winter dawns up here, moon setting over the river at sunrise, geese flying--BUT the wind chill is ZERO and the north wind is blowing.

The weeks I had in Pinellas County, I rode my bike in the mornings, swam in the pool in the sunshine every day at noon, watched the sunset from the causeway or Honeymoon Island almost every evening. Drove Bayshore Blvd top down, sun in my face--in NOVEMBER. Looked at sea shells and birds fishing and fish jumping and even dolphins playing. When I die, if I get a choice between regular heaven or beach heaven, I'm choosing beach heaven. And it does not need to be any better than the fabulous beaches of Pinellas County.

I'm not exactly old, but I'm not getting any better, if you know what I mean. The year-round activity around Tampa helps me feel better and get some exercise--while cold weather does a number on stiff joints, not to mention the hazards of driving and walking on ice. I see people of all ages--teenage to aged--walking, jogging, biking on the trails.

I'm not made of money, and our place is modest but comfortable and close to what we like and eminently affordable. I work 8-10 hour days (telecommuting, basically) whether I'm south or north--but for me, Pinellas is fabulous. One of my friends loves the winter, can't wait for ice-fishing, loves to tromp through the fields or sit in a duck blind no matter the weather, doesn't see the appeal of FLA.

So like I said, if this is the kind of place you love, you'll love this place. The answer is within you, not on a message board. As for me, I'm counting the days until we return.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Op-

We both are from Columbus and Columbus is a nice place to raise a family as long as you live in one of the really nice areas.

Like you mention you are bored. So are we, we are not winter people and love to be active instead of being in the house 7 months+ per year.

My suggestion is to research several towns to your liking then fly down and spent time in those towns looking around.

You can find a place that fits what you are looking for.

Like us, we love the beach, Disney, being warm, tropical climate, palm trees, all the history and nature Florida has to offer and with tons of great parks, beaches, sites to see that you will be overwhelmed with things to do.

Tell us some specifics of things you like to do. Then we can steer you to a town close to what you enjoy.

Many people from Columbus are in the Tampa, Sarasota areas that I know.

The beaches on the gulf side are some of the best in the US.

We love the panhandle but need to be central because of all the things we enjoy we have to be local.

Many people try to paint Florida as being extremely bad. Like we both know in Columbus there are areas to avoid and you will find this also in Florida.

Research the towns, things you want to be around, your work etc and spend some time and you will be fine.

Rent first in case you do not like the area so you can move after your lease is up.

We truly believe we will get the both of all worlds when we get to Florida mainly because of what it has to offer us and the things we like to do most are in Florida.

We are suppose to get snow her this weekend in Columbus which is not a good thing. We cannot wait to be able to where shorts, tanks and flip flops year around and not have to constantly watching the weather all winter long for ice, power lines down, 20 degree temps etc.

We already have our plans in place for any evacuation if it is needed if rough weather comes. The best thing is most bad storms coming into Florida are predicted and usually known 5-7 days before they even hit landfall so you will have ample time to leave.

Goodluck!

Old 11-25-2010, 03:51 AM

27 posts, read 65,536 times
Hi all
can I jump on this thread and ask a question ?
I'm in Europe and thinking of moving to Tampa area because of job availability.
I've checked out accommodation details, and i'm fully conversed with house prices, HOA , Tax, Insurance and all that.
What I wanted to know was the cost of things like car insurance, utilities, and day to day living. Bottomline how much would it cost to LIVE month to month. Is $1000 per month going to be enough ?

Thanks for any info

Old 11-25-2010, 06:41 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdun1 View Post
Hi all
can I jump on this thread and ask a question ?
I'm in Europe and thinking of moving to Tampa area because of job availability.
I've checked out accommodation details, and i'm fully conversed with house prices, HOA , Tax, Insurance and all that.
What I wanted to know was the cost of things like car insurance, utilities, and day to day living. Bottomline how much would it cost to LIVE month to month. Is $1000 per month going to be enough ?

Thanks for any info
$1000/month for everything? No, not enough imo, but maybe if you are single with no kids and it would be temporary it would work? I'm not sure; it's been a long time since I was single, but that income sounds really low.

If you start a new thread you'll get more input

Old 11-25-2010, 08:14 AM

436 posts, read 1,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Op-

We both are from Columbus and Columbus is a nice place to raise a family as long as you live in one of the really nice areas.

Like you mention you are bored. So are we, we are not winter people and love to be active instead of being in the house 7 months+ per year.

My suggestion is to research several towns to your liking then fly down and spent time in those towns looking around.

You can find a place that fits what you are looking for.

Like us, we love the beach, Disney, being warm, tropical climate, palm trees, all the history and nature Florida has to offer and with tons of great parks, beaches, sites to see that you will be overwhelmed with things to do.

Tell us some specifics of things you like to do. Then we can steer you to a town close to what you enjoy.

Many people from Columbus are in the Tampa, Sarasota areas that I know.

The beaches on the gulf side are some of the best in the US.

We love the panhandle but need to be central because of all the things we enjoy we have to be local.

Many people try to paint Florida as being extremely bad. Like we both know in Columbus there are areas to avoid and you will find this also in Florida.

Research the towns, things you want to be around, your work etc and spend some time and you will be fine.

Rent first in case you do not like the area so you can move after your lease is up.

We truly believe we will get the both of all worlds when we get to Florida mainly because of what it has to offer us and the things we like to do most are in Florida.

We are suppose to get snow her this weekend in Columbus which is not a good thing. We cannot wait to be able to where shorts, tanks and flip flops year around and not have to constantly watching the weather all winter long for ice, power lines down, 20 degree temps etc.

We already have our plans in place for any evacuation if it is needed if rough weather comes. The best thing is most bad storms coming into Florida are predicted and usually known 5-7 days before they even hit landfall so you will have ample time to leave.

Goodluck!
Well said and great points. While I'm not a fan of the sprawl in Pinellas, there are great things around as well. My problem is that I'm super picky and finding that perfect area is near impossible.

Pinellas seems to have almost all I'm looking for, though:
  • Weather conducive to year-round outdoor activities (running, walking, cycling, beaching, swimming)
  • Long bike trail (Pinellas Trail)
  • Sports league (especially the indoor soccer league in Largo)
  • Urban lifestyle in St Pete (which I'm sure I'll miss about DC)
  • NO snow, ice, disgusting gloominess that lasts for days
  • Close to Tampa for sports events and everything else the city offers (Tampa is not a city I particularly love, which is why I won't live in the city...I'm used to cities like DC, Seattle, NYC, Philly, etc.)
Bad things:
  • Car culture (you have to spend way more time in the car than should be necessary...most of the US is like this, but not most of the places I've lived)
  • Cookie-cutter neighborhoods are gross, boring, and dominate much of the area (however, you can avoid them, which I plan to)
  • US 19...enough said

Old 11-25-2010, 08:26 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
Well said and great points. While I'm not a fan of the sprawl in Pinellas, there are great things around as well. My problem is that I'm super picky and finding that perfect area is near impossible.

Pinellas seems to have almost all I'm looking for, though:
  • Weather conducive to year-round outdoor activities (running, walking, cycling, beaching, swimming)
  • Long bike trail (Pinellas Trail)
  • Sports league (especially the indoor soccer league in Largo)
  • Urban lifestyle in St Pete (which I'm sure I'll miss about DC)
  • NO snow, ice, disgusting gloominess that lasts for days
  • Close to Tampa for sports events and everything else the city offers (Tampa is not a city I particularly love, which is why I won't live in the city...I'm used to cities like DC, Seattle, NYC, Philly, etc.)
Bad things:
  • Car culture (you have to spend way more time in the car than should be necessary...most of the US is like this, but not most of the places I've lived)
  • Cookie-cutter neighborhoods are gross, boring, and dominate much of the area (however, you can avoid them, which I plan to)
  • US 19...enough said
XbillyX - it's easy enough to avoid the "bad" things. And you have a nice long list of "good" things, which are really good things and I think will more than compensate for the few negatives of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay