Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 05:00 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times

Advertisements

Tampa neighborhood leader demands action, warns of panhandling ballot initiative - St. Petersburg Times

I hope it works!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 06:01 AM

156 posts, read 485,811 times
I do too. I'm sure that there are some out there who are truly in need and I understand that. I routinely volunteer at facilities who serve these people's needs as my contribution, but I will not give anyone on a street corner a red cent. The reason being that very large percentage of these people who are doing it to feed their addictions, or running a scam, or who simply don't want to go get a job because this pays them more. I've seen way too many folks around with the "Stranded, need gas money" signs only to see the SAME people the next day with signs that say "Lost job, father of 3, house in foreclosure" or whatever their story of the day is. I find it completely deplorable that these people take advantage of the kindness of others and prey on your sympathy so they can go get their next fix. Giving them money is enabling them...if you don't think that's true, try giving one of these people a sandwich or some such and see what kind of reaction you get. Don't even get me started on the ones who get aggressive and start rapping on windows or forcing you to acknowledge them. It can be pretty scary to approach some street corners these days, even to me who is quite used to people coming up to my car asking for this or that, or offering to wash my window for a buck like they do in NYC.

It would almost be funny if it wasn't so incredibly ridiculous to see some of these "beggars" listening to their iPod while they are out there, or chatting away on their cell phones.

The City Council needs to act on this...there is a huge public outcry about it. If not, it WILL make it to a ballot, you can guarantee.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM

817 posts, read 2,250,094 times
There are plenty....PLENTY....of social service and charitable organizations that people can go to for help if they are homeless. The ONLY reason that one would need to beg is if the money would be used for booze, drugs, or of the person does not want to ask them for help. I have volunteered at Metropolitan Ministries and I can assure you that a homeless person can get food, help finding work, clothes, a shower, etc there. If you're a woman, they'll let you live there. There are other places where beds can be had for men.

Begging needs to be banned on roadsides. It's a bad eyesore, but the bigger is is, eventually, one of these people is going to be killed by accident. There is NO good reason to allow it to keep going on.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:15 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
There are plenty....PLENTY....of social service and charitable organizations that people can go to for help if they are homeless. The ONLY reason that one would need to beg is if the money would be used for booze, drugs, or of the person does not want to ask them for help. I have volunteered at Metropolitan Ministries and I can assure you that a homeless person can get food, help finding work, clothes, a shower, etc there. If you're a woman, they'll let you live there. There are other places where beds can be had for men.

Begging needs to be banned on roadsides. It's a bad eyesore, but the bigger is is, eventually, one of these people is going to be killed by accident. There is NO good reason to allow it to keep going on.
100% agree! Those begging on the streets LIKE that lifestyle. They get free money and just buy booze/drugs - they have no intention of ever leading a normal lifestyle, they are moochers supporting a habit. It's a miracle more accidents aren't happening caused by them. One of these days there will be a "road rage" incident when they accost the wrong vehicle!

Old 11-12-2010, 08:26 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
eventually, one of these people is going to be killed by accident.
Or one of them will kill a driver or each other on purpose.

I've now witnessed two different altercations that started as them screaming at each other across the roads - once one just walked right into traffic to go get in the other guy's face, yelling about something, seemingly oblivious to the fact that he almost got hit. Good thing that driver wasn't playing with their cellphone or something and had room in another lane to swerve around him or he'd have been dead. They have got to do something about this.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:28 PM

158 posts, read 284,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Or one of them will kill a driver or each other on purpose.

I've now witnessed two different altercations that started as them screaming at each other across the roads - once one just walked right into traffic to go get in the other guy's face, yelling about something, seemingly oblivious to the fact that he almost got hit. Good thing that driver wasn't playing with their cellphone or something and had room in another lane to swerve around him or he'd have been dead. They have got to do something about this.

I hope that they can put a ban on it before I get there. I have read so many stories on TBO about this problem. Thankfully we only have a few homeless downtown that will stand at the off ramps to the highway where I live currently. I volunteer at one of the homeless shelters downtown and have never been harrassed by the guys/girls when I go down there. The shelter does tell everyone dont offer the homeless money only food or there are cards in our city that you can print from online that offer them to go to the shelter to shower, shave, eat and pray with good people for free

Maybe if Tampa had a card program like this that would slow them down a bit...

They sound really aggressive though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: