Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,107 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good home inspector in the Tampa Bay area? I recently purchased a home in South Tampa. [mod]consumer complaint [/mod]
We were told that there was about $3000 worth of repairs needed, and we're going on about $20k at this point with more to come. I want to get another inspection to make sure my family is safe in the house. . Thanks for any referrals.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-01-2008 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Consumer complaints not allowed.. sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:45 AM

81 posts, read 307,438 times
Try Home Team Inspection Service. They are ASHI certified. I got my home inspection done through them. If you want more info about them DM me and I will send you their contact info. I think they charge about $375 for appx 3k sq ft house.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:33 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,555,104 times
Home inspectors are not licensed or regulated by the state of Florida, so beware. You should find an inspector that is both ASHI and NACHI certified. Along with sncoupons recommendation, I have worked many many times with the HomeTeam. The advantage to using them is it's a one stop shop...they will coordinate every possible inspection at once (think swarm of bees ha!). The disadvantage is they are not licensed contractors (the electrician may be), so you would have to take their list to a licensed contractor to get estimates.

IMO, the very best are home inspectors with a contractor license, but they're not cheap.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 09-03-2008 at 12:11 PM..

Old 11-20-2010, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,320 times
HOME PRO HOME INSPECTION 813 528 3505 homeproswf.com

Old 11-21-2010, 08:34 AM

789 posts, read 1,850,389 times
I was watching an episode of Holmes on Homes and he discusses this very topic. Holmes main point is to hire an inspector who has at least 20 years experience as a contractor, builder, or a home engineer. Do NOT hire the firm, hire the individual. Make sure you check references extensively.

I've been burned by inspectors myself in the past and it was because I did not do my due diligence.

Congratulations to you for taking the first step and doing your research!

Old 11-22-2010, 04:57 AM

3,037 posts, read 8,323,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
I was watching an episode of Holmes on Homes and he discusses this very topic. Holmes main point is to hire an inspector who has at least 20 years experience as a contractor, builder, or a home engineer. Do NOT hire the firm, hire the individual. Make sure you check references extensively.

I've been burned by inspectors myself in the past and it was because I did not do my due diligence.

Congratulations to you for taking the first step and doing your research!
Did "Holmes on Homes" explain how to verify that 20 years experience? There are plenty of Inspectors out there around the country making such claims but if you try to check it out you will get nowhere. Do you know how to check out the claims of a person that states they have 20 years experience?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:10 AM

789 posts, read 1,850,389 times
"Do NOT hire the firm, hire the individual. Make sure you check references extensively."

Ask for the resume, check references, look at licenses:

Senate Bill 2234, enacted June 27, 2007 as Chapter 468, Part XV, Florida Statutes, provides for licensure and regulation of home inspectors. Chapter 468, Part XV, Florida Statutes, became effective July 1, 2010, and provides that the home inspector licensing program will be administered by the Department of Business and Professional Regulation. There is not a Board of Home Inspectors. The department administers the licensure and regulation functions for this profession.

There are two methods of licensure by grandfathering:

1. If the applicant is certified as a home inspector by a state or national association that requires successful completion of a proctored examination on home inspection services and completion of at least 14 hours of verifiable education on such services;

or

2. At the time of application, the applicant has at least 3 years of experience as a home inspector and completion of at least 14 hours of verifiable education on home inspection services. To establish the 3 years of experience, an applicant must submit at least 120 home inspection reports prepared by the applicant. The department may investigate the validity of a home inspection report.

Only option #2 requires 120 inspection reports.

If you are applying for licensure using option #2 and submitting the required 120 home inspection reports, the reports have to be submitted by hard copy on paper. The department cannot accept an electronic version at this time. In addition, if any confidentiality issues exist, the applicant can redact information on the reports they do not want to make public record. Please contact the department at 850.487.1395 if you have problems or questions when filling out your application.

**Mold Remediators have different licensing requirements.

Contact Information:

Division of Professions
Home Inspectors
1940 North Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0783
Phone: 850.487.1395

call.center@dbpr.state.fl.us

Just because you have a license, does not make you an thorough expert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: