U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 AM

13 posts, read 31,310 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody,
I just got accepted to USF to do my masters in civil engineering and I only have about five weeks to move down there. I have a couple of questions about Tampa.
1.What are the best neighborhoods to move to that have reasonably priced apartment (maximum rent of 550 per month) and are close enough to school and dont have too many loud undergraduates students. Be as specific as possible.
2.Since am selling all my furniture before I move where would you recommend I would get good used furniture (for example thrift stores and such).
3.How is the public transportation system in Tampa.I have a car but to beat traffic and save money I would like to know if the public transport system is dependable and approximately how much it costs for students.
4.Anyone who attends USF or has previously attended,could you please tell me how life at USF is?Is it a big party school, is it a campus with lots of organizations and ways to stay involved.In general please tell me and share how you feel about the school.
All posts will be greatly appreciated.Please feel free to be detailed in your responses.
Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 01:56 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,629,282 times
$$550 I don't think will be reasonable for a MAX rent around USF area if you want sfatey and quality, unless your willing to Travel.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:47 PM

22,468 posts, read 33,331,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspinki View Post
Hello Everybody,
I just got accepted to USF to do my masters in civil engineering and I only have about five weeks to move down there. I have a couple of questions about Tampa.
1.What are the best neighborhoods to move to that have reasonably priced apartment (maximum rent of 550 per month) and are close enough to school and dont have too many loud undergraduates students. Be as specific as possible.
2.Since am selling all my furniture before I move where would you recommend I would get good used furniture (for example thrift stores and such).
3.How is the public transportation system in Tampa.I have a car but to beat traffic and save money I would like to know if the public transport system is dependable and approximately how much it costs for students.
4.Anyone who attends USF or has previously attended,could you please tell me how life at USF is?Is it a big party school, is it a campus with lots of organizations and ways to stay involved.In general please tell me and share how you feel about the school.
All posts will be greatly appreciated.Please feel free to be detailed in your responses.
Thank you.
Check out the Lake Magdalene neighborhood west of USF. It's an easy drive (or bus ride) down Fletcher Ave but in a quiet area away from campus. The Park at Lake Magdalene is a nice complex with one bedrooms in the $525 range. USF students ride HART buses for free with a student ID so that's a pretty sweet deal.

Park at Lake Magdalene Rentals in Tampa, FL[id]/12161/

HART - Hillsborough Area Regional Transit - Tampa, Florida. University of South Florida Bus Pass

For used furniture check out the Goodwill store on Hillsborough Ave or if you can go a little higher, we do have an Ikea store here.

IKEA Tampa

I can't address attending USF but hopefully someone else can. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2010, 05:22 PM

Is Downtown Tampa close to USF?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:55 AM

4 posts, read 14,672 times
downtown is around a 10-15 min drive from usf. thats if there isnt any traffic and you get lucky with the lights lol if its between 4 and 7pm it will take WAY longer!!!!

Public transportation.... we do have a pretty good bus system, got a DUI and lost license for 6 months lol, thats another thing dont drink and drive period because it is a terrible thing to do and you will get caught, they pass them out like speeding tickets here.

I live right across the street from usf, easy walk, nice place, nice people, $565 a month which includes everything! I would say there is around 7 or 8 places right next to usf that are around that.

usf is the eighth largest university in the u.s. but i wouldn't say its a "big" party school, cuz there is so much more to do than just usf. tampa is the second largest metro area in florida (behind miami) So if you like to party there is a **** ton of places to go all over tampa bay, not only at usf. Tampa is rated the 6th most party city in the u.s. I dont know what your interests are but i would say tampa bay has everything but snow.

Hope this helps....anything else just ask

Old 11-17-2010, 05:26 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,984,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis036 View Post

got a DUI and lost license for 6 months lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis036 View Post

So if you like to party there is a **** ton of places to go all over tampa bay

Just make sure you let someone else give you the tour

Old 11-18-2010, 08:12 AM

Thank you Travis. Yes drinking and driving is of course wrong, that's just common sense.
Could anybody give me names of the areas/neighborhood around the campus that I could look into.Am looking at apartments on craigslist that look good but I dont know how far/close they are from the school.
Thanks

Old 11-21-2010, 04:42 PM

4 posts, read 14,672 times
well do you want student housing or an apt? student housing is what im in. its like a 4bedroom 4 bathroom apt you just have to share your living room and kitchen. But they come furnished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay